Full-face XC helmet?

Printable View

• 04-11-2006
    KONA_in_SB
    Full-face XC helmet?
    Last week I did a nice face plant in a rock during an XC ride. I got a nice bruised up face for that and can't feel the teeth in the left side of my mouth. Luckly they didn't fall out (yet). So I am starting to think I will wear a full-face helmet on my XC rides. For those who don't know XC in Santa Barbara means riding up the trails that you usually shuttle and then ride back down them. So our XC is pretty gnar...lots of rocks, not something you take a short travel XC bikes on.
    I am looking for a light well-venetilated full-face to wear on these rides. I have seperate helmet for DH so it doesn't have to be a do-all helmet. I thought I saw a XC full face somewhere a while back back can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?
  • 04-11-2006
    sriracha
    i saw that shiner on your face at the trail meeting. i was wondering what happened.

from what i've heard, the new specialized deviant helmet is a well ventilated beefed up XXXC full face helmet.
  • 04-11-2006
    fiddy_ryder
    specialized deviant.
  • 04-11-2006
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sriracha
    i saw that shiner on your face at the trail meeting. i was wondering what happened.

tell the truth....you fell down the stairs......I didn't touch or hit you
  • 04-11-2006
    KONA_in_SB
    Thanks fo rthe reply. I have to go to the local specialized dealer, Bicycle Slobs (I hate that shop) and check them out.
    Sirarcha -- It was Romero, not even in a tough section. I guess not riding much because of all the rain has got me sloppy. When is the sun coming back?
  • 04-11-2006
    Techfreak
    I've seen people modify the Pryme -AL helmet for XC as well. Mods involve removing some of the cheek padding. There was a thread recently where someone did some pretty major mods to a Giro Mad Max, but it seemed a bit drastic to me. The Deviant seems to be the most purpose built, though.
  • 04-11-2006
    Dnovick104
  • 04-11-2006
    sriracha
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    I have to go to the local specialized dealer, Bicycle Slobs (I hate that shop)

i doubt they would have it. it's worth a shot. if they don't have it, try on other specialized helmets and get an idea of what size you are in the specialized line, cause you can order the helmets direct from the spesh website.
  • 04-11-2006
    TNC
    3 Attachment(s)
    Do a search for "jkish" on a recent thread he originally posted on this issue which illicited a lot of good input. I believe the word "carnage" is used in the title of his thread. He's the guy who modified the Mad Max, and I'm the one with Pryme AL. The Spec Deviant is a good candidate for this, but I think you'll still find it too hot for real trail riding in its unmodified form...unless you live in Prudoe Bay.:D I absolutely refuse to even trail ride anymore in an open face helmet because the ride often morphs into something else. I slid along the ground this weekend by screwing up on a jump during a "show-off" fest with our group. I had to shake the dirt, grass, and gravel out of the right side of my helmet. I would have been picking it out of my cheek and jaw otherwise. Hell, even for normal trail riding unexpected soil sampling occurs.:D I've ridden with this helmet during temps as high as 92 during very hard pedaling sessions, and it was quite bearable...heck, I even appreciate the shade. Trail XC geeks can call me chicken, sissy, and a wimp...but they can't call me toothless.:D
  • 04-11-2006
    marsb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tell the truth....you fell down the stairs......I didn't touch or hit you

Daddy only hits me so I'll learn.
  • 04-25-2006
    greenmacheen
    TNC have you seen or tried a deviant ?
  • 04-25-2006
    TNC
    Yes.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    TNC have you seen or tried a deviant ?

I think it's a good candidate for making an XC setup. It has enough vents. The killer in any of most of the full coverage helmets that prevents its use for trail riding is the lack of vents and too much padding. The Pryme AL and the Deviant both have enough vents, but you have to modify the padding to be able to ride with them for any length of time. As long as you don't compromise the cranial padding to any degree, these will still be way safer than an open face XC lid for gnarly trail riding. I'll be wearing my AL for the next couple of weeks at Moab...religiously.:D
  • 04-25-2006
    focused1
    I just got a Pryme AL to modify after reading that thread. As it comes, the Pryme weighs the same as my 661 Full Comp. But it obviously has way more vents. I think removing those pads will make it a bit lighter and a lot more airy. After reading about all these XC faceplants on the boards, I think I'll be using this helmet a lot this summer.
  • 04-25-2006
    Techfreak
    I am seriously considering a Pryme for myself.
  • 04-25-2006
    Big_Tim
    How about the Met Parachute?
    http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=293&idcat=13
    Mate of mine has one, and it is really good for hard-core XC.
  • 04-25-2006
    BikeMk
    Write to Giro
    The Giro Switchblade was the best solution, but the stooges at Giro decided their profit margins on the Switchblade were too low. It was made in Europe while they shifted the rest of their helmet manufacturing to China where they make even their top-of-the-line helmets for dirt cheap.

Please, please write to Giro and tell them that you're interested in a Switchblade-type helmet. With enough input even the dense folks that work there ought to realize that maybe they would have a market if they bothered to re-develop something like the Switchblade.

I've got a Deviant, and it's nice, but still substantially heavier and hotter than my Switchblade was.
  • 04-25-2006
    FloridaFish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Tim
    How about the Met Parachute?
    http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=293&idcat=13
    Mate of mine has one, and it is really good for hard-core XC.

I just saw one on ebay.......
    looks pretty cool and light.
  • 04-25-2006
    milhouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeMk
    The Giro Switchblade was the best solution, but the stooges at Giro decided their profit margins on the Switchblade were too low. It was made in Europe while they shifted the rest of their helmet manufacturing to China where they make even their top-of-the-line helmets for dirt cheap.

Please, please write to Giro and tell them that you're interested in a Switchblade-type helmet. With enough input even the dense folks that work there ought to realize that maybe they would have a market if they bothered to re-develop something like the Switchblade.

I've got a Deviant, and it's nice, but still substantially heavier and hotter than my Switchblade was.

I think the problem was with injuries from the mouth piece actually breaking and causing lacerations on the face. I would be interested in hearing if there are other options besides the Parachute which looks really weak. I use my DH helmet some times and besides being hot is that its still a little restricting to breath with the large area the chin guard blocks so close to your mouth. I went for a spin on Sunday with it and I had a couple of times where I had to take my helmet off to get air after a steep climb.
  • 04-25-2006
    BikeMk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by milhouse
    I think the problem was with injuries from the mouth piece actually breaking and causing lacerations on the face.

And how many people would rather sustain some facial injury after smashing a faceguard to bits than have no faceguard at all and smash their face to bits on the rock that the faceguard would have hit had it been there? The breakage of the mouthpiece, like cracking a helmet, absorbs lots of energy.

Personally I'd rather walk away from a horendous freak XC crash with some minor abrasions or even a couple of cuts needing a few stitches than be stuck with needing large scale reconstructive facial surgery. Oh, and dental implants are kind of pricey too (plus you'll have gum problems and bone thinning later down the line).

If you look at the cases of people complaining about their switchblades snapping and cutting them in the face, almost all of those people were using the helmet for real downhill and freeride type riding . . . and the helmet specifically said quite clearly all over the box and the advertising that it was not meant to protect like a full on downhill helmet and it was only intended for XC riding.

Truthfully, Giro's decision was completely based on profit margins, demand, and logistical simplification, not with technical problems inhernet in the design.
  • 04-27-2006
    925hell
    sue happy
    this is right off the met site!

Madam, Sir,

we have to inform you that MET S.p.A., producer of the MET helmets, have decided not to export their helmets to North-America (Canada and United States of America). As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident. This, sometimes, occurs regardless of the quality of the product, and the safety it actually provides. Moreover, judicial costs and attorney's fees are very burdensome in North America. It being confirmed that MET products are fully UE regulations, safety standards and state of the art compliant, MET S.p.A., as a family business, not run yan obscure international financial conglomerate but by people, individuals working together, side by side, each and every day, have decided to keep their products out of the North-American market, and to spend time, money and energy in product research and development, not lawyers and trails. Anyone who would violate MET S.p.A above decision, and would import Met helmet in North-America will be exclusively responsible for any legal consequence involving MET helmets. We thank you for your interest and for taking the time to contact us. We are confident that you will find a suitable helmet among the products available on your home market.
  • 04-27-2006
    lebikerboy
    The problem with the Deviant is that it only fits people with "oval" heads. Those of us (majority) with round heads will find pressure points using it. A Giro Remedy would be a better choice.
  • 04-27-2006
    Doro
    I have the deviant non carbon and love it but also have a oval head so not sure about the round head factor. I have yet to use it on a scorcher day so I dont know how hot it will be. It is a bit warm b/c it has alot of side padding but has tons of ventilation. I would like to modify it but dont want to take away from its safety structure. Has anyone done this to the deviant in any sorts?
  • 04-27-2006
    BikeMk
    I'd also be interested in people with successful deviant mods, especially regarding the cheek pads, which seem to help stabilize the helmet on my head significanlty. I'd like to remove them so that it would be useable comfortably in XC, but a helmet doesn't do much good if it slips around too much on your head under force.
  • 04-27-2006
    perttime
    Anybody used Azonic T-55?
    Looks like it is not too heavy for a full face and there is a pretty big opening for the face, for visibility and maybe better ventilation(?). Looks a bit unusual but who cares...
  • 04-28-2006
    drum714
    If I were to pull the cheek pads, I would deffinetly find a way to use a football style chin strap.
  • 04-28-2006
    todd_freeride
    yea, go for that pryme helmet. I currently have one, and I love it to death. plus they're kinda cheap too. I think I payed $89.00 or something like that.
  • 04-29-2006
    DM-SC
    I found a new Pryme AL on e-bay for $60. I guess I'll be studing TNC's photos a bit more closely...:D
  • 04-29-2006
    urbanmtb87
    Anybody have any luck modifiying a Bell Bellistic helmet? I'm thinking about trying to thin out the padding a bit and am also in the process of installing a micro pc fan in the mouthpiece of the helmet to circulate air in the face area.