full face needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

full face needed?

Hi everyone

Im pretty new to mtb bike riding, well pretty new to riding in general. I take protection pretty serious. I bought some gloves... no brainer,i have a skin graph from knee to ankle on right leg so knee/shin guards again no brainer (bought fox pro launch) have elbow pads on order.

Biggest question is would i benefit from a full face helmit for weekend rides? I plan to ride pretty hard without being stupid but i know there will be a time where i do something thats maybe outside my abilitys.

Thanks keith

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    The only time you really need a full face helmet is when you hit your face. Considering your riding preferences and style and risks, is there a probability of going OTB and hitting your face? If so then you'll want to be prepared.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thats my train of thought.I worked out today that riding down steep drops aint something im going to get over anytime soon. Once i get confidence and skills up im just going to want to go bigger and bigger. Is there anything in particular you should look for in a full face helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith C View Post
    Thats my train of thought.I worked out today that riding down steep drops aint something im going to get over anytime soon. Once i get confidence and skills up im just going to want to go bigger and bigger. Is there anything in particular you should look for in a full face helmet?
    Yes! a factory GoPro mount!

mtbr member
    I use a full face for lift access riding (which is mostly what I do) and an open face for pedal sessions. It's nice to have both. The best full face for pedaling is the Specialized deviant, if you can find one since Spesh likes to discontinue anything that's good. Like the Pitch.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Why not get Met Parachute, which tons better than an old used Deviant? It's light, it's totally pedalable even at high temps, it's better than an open lid, and it doesn't look too funny on XC/trail rides, unlike proper FF.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ill have to have a look. Wont be wearing a full face on the commute to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Possible typo, but lbs list the dissident at $450 and the dissident comp at $250. I would have thought the comp would cost more?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So i now have a better idea between the two. Fox has a helm around the same price point i want to have a look at. I looked at a 661 and didnt go much on it. Are there any other contenders around the $300 mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    Why not get Met Parachute, which tons better than an old used Deviant? It's light, it's totally pedalable even at high temps, it's better than an open lid, and it doesn't look too funny on XC/trail rides, unlike proper FF.
    The Deviant is rated for DH racing. The Met is not. You can still find new Deviants out there and I would never buy a used helmet. But if your mostly on XC/trail type trails than the Met or Bell Super would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah i wont be buying second hand, xc/trail riding is where im at at this stage. Ill have to try afew on at various locals and compare

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    The Deviant is rated for DH racing. The Met is not. You can still find new Deviants out there and I would never buy a used helmet. But if your mostly on XC/trail type trails than the Met or Bell Super would be perfect.
    As far as I can read, Keith never said he's downhilling. Being a new rider and all. Besides, from what I'm picking up from the Parachute (which I have), it is a pretty sturdy piece, able to stand a punch pretty hard. I also saw and held in my hands a ruined Parachute, which saved a rider's head from a sharp rock. Very impressive helmet, considering its breathability and lightness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Have narrowed down to two choices,
    Does anyone have thoughts on specilized dissidant comp or the fox rampage.

mtbr member
    I have the aforementioned Specialized Deviant II (which is now discontinued), and while it is pretty well vented for a full face helmet, you will get pretty damn uncomfortable when it is hot. I would not want to be climbing in it under direct sun when the temp is over 25C. The Dissident and Rampage appear to be much less ventilated (and you live in Aus...)

If I was to replace it I would probably go for a Met Parachute (which appears to be better ventilated and passes a DH cert, even if it is not intended for DH). Bell Super 2R would be another option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    j cant try either of those for fit prior to ordering one in as no shops around here keep em as a stocked item. Not keen on buying one without trying it on first. Thats my main motivation for picking from the two mentioned

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    MET certainly is ASTM 1952 certified and light and well ventilated. Love mine. It's a tad bit wamer than a 1/2 dome on slow climbs- just as well ventilates when moving.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    j cant try either of those for fit prior to ordering one in as no shops around here keep em as a stocked item. Not keen on buying one without trying it on first. Thats my main motivation for picking from the two mentioned
    Won't help to buy one of those 2 if you won't wear it.

To be blunt you wont. Those 2 are too damm hot for XC riding. I have a FF like those for my bike park days and there isn't a chance in hell I'd go on a XC ride in one. They depends on speeds you wont hit XC riding and coming off on the lift ride up.

As I said above, the MET is a great helmet for what your looking to do. I had a bad crash and had two cuts 9 stitches. One of the cuts was along my eye brow. That was too close for comfort, can't ride a 1/2 dome anymore.

It's in the hidh 80s low 90s here with high humidity and the MET works well.

Good luck
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Did find a met today in the city, was a nice helmet. Have decided to go with the dissidant as i just felt safer in it and at this stage its a mind over mater thing. If i feel safe ill be more comfortable. If i find its getting two hot ill buy something else maybe the met. $$ is not an issue for me when we are talking safety. Im pretty tolerant to heat, i used to work in the hot end of amcor glass hahaha

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I went for my first little ride in the dissidant today. Went to visit my mum about 5km away with about a 125m climb. Today was hot even by aussie summer standards 39 celcius. It was noticeably hotter in the full face but not unbearable. How do go about washing em? Dont think you can remove the lining

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The best thing.... to drink you have to remove helmet which means ill condition myself to drink less. Hydration is key but i over indulge on water and i know it

mtbr member
    Honestly, it is a bit of over kill most of the time on regular all mountain trail riding. Any time you are pedaling wearing a full face really really sucks. They're cumbersome and not breathable. You over heat really easy in them.

However, the only time you need them is when you fall on your face, but you cannot predict that. So if you are comfortable with the above conditions while riding then go for a full face.

I only use them when I am shuttling or at a downhill park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangchi BB View Post
    Honestly, it is a bit of over kill most of the time on regular all mountain trail riding. Any time you are pedaling wearing a full face really really sucks. They're cumbersome and not breathable. You over heat really easy in them.

However, the only time you need them is when you fall on your face, but you cannot predict that. So if you are comfortable with the above conditions while riding then go for a full face.

I only use them when I am shuttling or at a downhill park.
    You really should try to get a look at the MET, it changes just about everything you said about a FF. Wearing mine exclusively for XC and a carbon FF for Shuttling/parks.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Im not going to wear it on the commute to work, or rides where im on the road alot. Outside that im gonna wear it all the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Does your ride consist of more downhill or more of a mix? If you're headed downhill I guess you can go for more of a heavier helmet but if it has vigorous climbs and such maybe the Dissident Comp isn't such a bad idea, maybe even the Giro Cipher for USD $50 more.

Lone Wolf
    Same principal as a condom.

I rather have it and not need it,
    than need it and not have it :P

Seriously If I rode in rock gardens I'd have one.
    If I was a very aggressive rider yeah, but I'm not.
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I aint been noticing much difference in heat then my open helm. Im getting abit hotter but not enough to make me not want to wear it. I did my first masive climb today. 30% incline had to stop twice to get to the top but so worth the ride down. Ill admit taking the helm off when i stopped was the best thing ever

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Next week im going back and im going to ride the intermediate tracks down. I was pressed for time today and the climb took 30 mins longer then i thought it would.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Of course the one time I did get face injury was on the road. LOL. not to make you paranoid! Slid out on wet sand/dirt in corner on my commute home, road rash on face.
    Oh yeah, was going to suggest looking for removable liner in your FF. If it doesn't, then cleaning it is going to be a pain. What I often do is take the helmet into shower with me and wash the pad with soap and rinse well. Then squeeze out as much as can and hang to dry.
    I can't see riding my FF THE Carbon all the time. We regularly road ride up and then DH on trail and I used to carry the FF on pack and ride up helmetless. Thing is just too hot, and drinking water is a pain. I now use a Bell Super 2R. I still use the THE FF for when we shuttle DH as the Super 2R is not as burly protection, but it works good for having protection on both he climb & DH and not having to carry 2 helmets, which my friends have been doing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    When i got to the trails yesterday there was a group of 4 teens who had it sussed. 3 would ride down the hill and one would drive the ute down to bottom then they rotated the driver. I liked the ride up as much as i did the ride down. Yeah cleaning the helm is a pain. Does soaking it not stuff the foam??

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use the same stuff as what I shower with. Water and mild soap. Foams fine. In fact it's better for it than leaving it unwashed as your sweat and stuff will accelerated foam breakdown.
    I take helmet into shower and wash myself like normal. Then I'll take some soap and lather up hands and work a little of it into pads and the straps then rinse well. I'll gently squeeze what I can out of the pads, then take towel and press the pads with it to get out additional water then hang to dry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks heaps mate. Ill start doin the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Attractive face = full face helmet
    Not so nice in the looks department (a face only your mother loves) = bowl helmet which protects only the hair because that is all that is worth saving...

i always felt that full face helmets looked cool and the "bowl type" look a bit dorky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Then i need to forget helms altogether, riding in a paper bag aint legal around here though

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Then i need to forget helms altogether, riding in a paper bag aint legal around here though
    Awesome bud! One day when I was riding my bike to school, I was about 10-12 years old and slipped on some ice while wearing a "typical" helmet. I went down extra hard and slammed the road, chin first. I lost my vision for 45 minutes. Luckily a lady waiting for the bus saw me and walked me to school. They called my mom and I was able to lie down until she came. The only time I got stitches and a nice forever scar. I probably had a concussion but that wouldn't account for all my mental problems... Likely could have prevented this if I had a full face helmet. I don't know if they existed back then, parents wouldn't have bought such a nicety for me anyways.