Full Face Mask Helmet??- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

Full Face Mask Helmet??

Should i get a full face mask helmet? Or just stick with the regular helmet i have. I do all around mountain biking. Some jumps and ledges, but not very big.

Oct 2007
    I'd say whatever you personally feel safer and more comfortable in. Right now I've got a regular helmet, but if I start doing downhill a bit more I might get a full face soon.

mtbr member
    agreed I plan on doing the same thing if I get into something technical just for "insurance" reasons since I don't mind scratchs on other parts but don't like the idea of possibly doing a face plant and not having any protection

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I ride a full face helmet for light all mountain riding, and it is more of a confidence inspiring thing for me than it is a "I think I need this"

May 2006
    I use a standard XC lid for AM riding, but when I go DH'ing I switch to the full face w/ body armor.

But, If you crash often (and land on your face) something like a Specialized Deviant (link) might be a good idea, I use one for DH'ing and they're pretty light and well ventailated.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    if your looking for a budget helmet(not sure if this is a good idea or not) I picked up a Bell Bellistics helmet for $45

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hey, i am in the same boat as you. well, was.

i was using a regular hemet, then one day found a really good deal on a ff at a nice LBS. i bought it, and since then, havent touched my regular helmet. It gives me SOOOOOOOO SOOOO SOOOOOOO much more confidence, its wacky... like... its just another helmet, but i find i can do things that i never thought i could without it. i can almost completely manual now, my catwalk is getting really good, i can bunnyhop higher, i even went of a fabled dirt jump near my place i had never attempted before.

not to say you should be cocky that you will be protected, so you can do anything with that helmet, you need to keep that in mind (i did ) and be careful still.

but man, the confidence boost was nuts. I suggest 100% for aspiring riders (like you and me) to go get a ff helmet, and try it out.

another reason= facial reconstruction surgery $$$ > $$$ for a new helmet.

mtbr member
    What's the difference between full face helmets for motocross and mountain biking? Is it mainly weight and ventilation? Are motocross helmets suitable for mountain biking (or vice-versa)?
    "Don't just give me your opinion, give me the right opinion." - one of my professors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corec
    What's the difference between full face helmets for motocross and mountain biking? Is it mainly weight and ventilation? Are motocross helmets suitable for mountain biking (or vice-versa)?
    I'm sure it is a weight thing but you are also going a lot faster on a moto-x bike then a mtb. as far as being suitable I don't see why you couldn't use a moto-x helmet on a mtb but I would not under any circumstance where a ff bicycle helmet on any type of motorcycle

May 2006
    Moto hemets must meet DOT standards, so they have to be able to withstand a higher impact than MTB helmets. As a side affect, they are hotter and heavier.

Oct 2007
    If you use a full face helmet you can get yourself all hot and bothered very quickly.

If you're not taking part in a lot of risky riding and no Downhill then stick to the conventional lid, usually supplied with masses of vents and slots to keep you cool on really long clims/rides etc.

Try a really steep long uphill with a FF on and wou'll be knackered before you get half way up!!

End of the day it's what you feel comfortable with.

Members who have read this thread: 0