Full Face helmets too small, anyone mod before?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

No good Full Face helmets too small, anyone mod before?

Last year I wanted to take my riding to the next level, and so I purchased a Bell Rhythm Pro full face helmet to protect me on the way there. It was a size large; I tried it on, and almost had to use the jaws of life to get it off... So, I thought, "huh, I didn't think my head was that big, oh well..." and resold it for less. I then bought a THH Full Face helmet size XL. After five minutes with the helmet on, my face looked like a cherry tomato. Again, I resold this helmet.

So, this year, I picked up a cheaper Fly helmet, size XXL. I just got it in the mail. It is still too small and almost piths the top of my forehead. Yeah, so I have come to terms with the fact that I have a huge melon. I think a lot of it has to do with the shape of my head as well (Lithuanian blood gives me a square noggin). But, XXL is the biggest size many of these companies make. So, I am thinking of cutting out the padding and using an exacto knife to shave down the foam inside, then glue the padding back in. Has anyone done this? Has anyone else had this same problem with the size of these helmets?

I'm starting to get a complex over here...

Thanks,
    Joe

Jan 2004

Oversize heads

Hey Joe,

I've got the same problem, my heads quite long (i.e. i get a lot of pain in my forehead from the helmet but have room down the sides). I eventually got a 661 XL and it fits me ok, its bearable anyway. Probably the best option would be to measure your head, length, width and circumfrance, and then call up the manufacturers and have a chat. Troy Lee Designs is propably a good starting point. Good luck!

Munga

Jan 2004
    I forgot to add...

DON'T START CUTTING UP THE ACTUAL HELMET! Trimming the padding is ok, but not the helmet

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I too have been saddled with an enormous melon. I tried every full face helmet I could find, 661, Bell, Giro, etc. None of them fit worth a damn.

Luckily, I have finally found one that fits--the Azonic T-55 in XXL. It is comfortable, light, well ventilated, nice looking, and the quality seems spot-on. I paid 99.00 at adrenaline bikes.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by munga
    I forgot to add...

DON'T START CUTTING UP THE ACTUAL HELMET! Trimming the padding is ok, but not the helmet

Well, the shell wouldn't be compromised, I'd just shave a little of the closed cell foam out and then glue the padding back in. You think that would be bad? It may change the pro a little, but I assume it would still be 99% effective. I am not in a position to drop $300+ bills on a cutom TLD, and I assume if this one doesn't fit, all XXL will have the same problem...

Best,
    Joe

Absurd

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by JoePerry
    Well, the shell wouldn't be compromised, I'd just shave a little of the closed cell foam out and then glue the padding back in. You think that would be bad? It may change the pro a little, but I assume it would still be 99% effective. I am not in a position to drop $300+ bills on a cutom TLD, and I assume if this one doesn't fit, all XXL will have the same problem...

Best,
    Joe
    I'm no expert, but I would'nt cut any of the padding if I were you. You want to be able to depend on that helmet to keep from splitting your wig if...no... when you go down hard, especially since you mention that you want to take it up a notch. I ran into a tree pretty hard last friday, not even directly square with my helmet, just sorta the whole left side and I had a pretty good head ache the rest of the day, I can't imagine how it would have felt or the damage it would have done if I had taken out any of the padding . You might concider not ordering off of the net, because you don't really know what your gonna get. Or, if you're set on the net as the supplier ( and I hate to encourage this) but you might go into a lbs, try on the one you want and then order it from whoever, to get it right the first time. I'm using a 6 6 1 ( HA!! beat the auto link!! ) they're pretty reasonably priced, protect well and seem to run big. My hat size is L-XL, and a 6 6 1 large is almost a little to big.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePerry

Best,
    Joe
    Different brands are different shapes. You can not assume that if one brand's XXL does not fit all XXLs will not fit. A Giro large does not fit me but a Bell Medium is perfect.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    I'm no expert, but I would'nt cut any of the padding if I were you. You want to be able to depend on that helmet to keep from splitting your wig if...no... when you go down hard, especially since you mention that you want to take it up a notch. I ran into a tree pretty hard last friday, not even directly square with my helmet, just sorta the whole left side and I had a pretty good head ache the rest of the day, I can't imagine how it would have felt or the damage it would have done if I had taken out any of the padding . You might concider not ordering off of the net, because you don't really know what your gonna get. Or, if you're set on the net as the supplier ( and I hate to encourage this) but you might go into a lbs, try on the one you want and then order it from whoever, to get it right the first time. I'm using a 6 6 1 ( HA!! beat the auto link!! ) they're pretty reasonably priced, protect well and seem to run big. My hat size is L-XL, and a 6 6 1 large is almost a little to big.
    Thanks for the tip. I usually make out Ok from buying off the web. My Fat would not be half as sweet if I had not done so. This has been the only situation that has just been a string of crappy luck. I wont remove any of the padding, but I am going to try shaving just a 1/6 of an inch out of the foam. I don't think closed cell foam works on any kind of infrastructure, but rather each cell operated independantly. So, If I just shave a little out of the back (where the human skull is the thickest) it would only alter that point by 1/10th. Thus keeping overall protection almost unchanged. Otherwise, I dont think another helmet (sixsixone, etc.) will work because this is already an XXL. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you guys updated on the effectiveness.

Best,
    Joe

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Different brands are different shapes. You can not assume that if one brand's XXL does not fit all XXLs will not fit. A Giro large does not fit me but a Bell Medium is perfect.

Well, I will use this one for the time being, and if I find another that fits I will go for it. There aren't many (any?) shops that I know of around who carry a selection of Full Face Helmets, though...

Thanks,
    Joe