Full Face Helmets and Head Shapes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Full Face Helmets and Head Shapes

Hey everybody,

Looking for information on helmets and head shapes. I have yet to find any real information in the bike community for this. I purchased a Fox Rampage and have more space on the sides of the helmet and stronger contact on the front and top. I would assume then that the Fox Rampage has a little more of a round head profile and I am more oblong. What helmets are out there, that don't cost a fortune, have more of an oblong profile? I'm using this for all mountain and general trail use by the way if that makes any difference. My head measurement is about 22-5/8" as well.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    im pretty new to the MTB helmet thing, but im not new to the moto helmet thing.

best thing i could ever do was go to all the moto shops around and try every diff brand on until i found one i liked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Unfortunatly, I live in an area where no shops carry full face helmets for bikes. And, motorcycle helmets do not give a good enough idea for their counterparts in the mtb world of fit comparison (at least Fox doesn't). So, I really don't have a good way of trying on an actuall full face helmet before purchasing. That's why I'm asking here for the help of the masses. I talked to JensonUSA and they said that the Fox is indeed more round and the Giro would be more oblong. It would be nice to hear a confirmation on that.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    I think Jenson got it backwards. My experience is the opposite of yours - although it's possible that different sizes fit differently even in the same brand.

I found that the Fox was very narrow. The XL fox fit front to back but was so tight side to side that I had a migraine from just wearing it 5 seconds in the shop. The Remedy was the opposite - it had a very round profile and also fit me front to back but was too loose side to side. The 661 Evo was just right.

Moral of the story - it really pays to find somewhere to try on a helmet before buying, even if you have to drive a bit. I paid full MSRP (actually more than MSRP, since they were on-sale on 661's site at the time) at the shop I bought my helmet but that saved me from buying the wrong helmet. I was sold on the Fox until I actually tried it on.

mtbr member
    I believe I have an oblong head as well. Always wear an XL or XXL. I've purchased countless helmets and the Giro Remedy is the first one I've ever had that didn't have to conform to MY head. It fit perfect out of the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    mtnbkaz,

Let me take this explanation a little further. I live in Cleveland, OH. The cold season is coming. There is not bike shop that even thinks of DH or full face bike helmets. If there is anything it is in the ballpark of 6+ hours of driving. I've called quite a few shops in my area. Even Speedgoat in PA and they don't have anything available. It's really disconcerting. Oh, I found one place, Ray's Indoor Mtn Park, that carries two helmets... Fox and Vigor. Fox doesn't seem to work, but I'm going to try the Vigor on this Saturday.

Not trying to be snippy. It's just in my area the bike shops do mostly road or casual bikes. There is some really great mtn bike riding, but the people are not there to fuel the shops it seems.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01
    mtnbkaz,

Let me take this explanation a little further. I live in Cleveland, OH. The cold season is coming. There is not bike shop that even thinks of DH or full face bike helmets. If there is anything it is in the ballpark of 6+ hours of driving. I've called quite a few shops in my area. Even Speedgoat in PA and they don't have anything available. It's really disconcerting. Oh, I found one place, Ray's Indoor Mtn Park, that carries two helmets... Fox and Vigor. Fox doesn't seem to work, but I'm going to try the Vigor on this Saturday.

Not trying to be snippy. It's just in my area the bike shops do mostly road or casual bikes. There is some really great mtn bike riding, but the people are not there to fuel the shops it seems.
    If it's the off-season, I'd just wait until spring. If your regional shops don't stock what you want in any season, then I guess you'll just have to take your chances with mail order returns. It's inconvenient but not the end of the world. Worst case you have to eBay an extra helmet or two. That beats a six hour drive anyday - unless the six hour drive involves a biking road-trip.

Almost every shop carries Giro so you might be able to get one to order a Remedy to try on. Good luck.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Ray's may only carry Fox and Vigor, but people come from all over the country to ride there. Certainly a few of them will have full-face helmets that you can try on. Worst case, you don't find any helmets to try on, but you ride yourself silly at the raddest indoor bike park in the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Alright, I think I remember the three head shapes... oblong, oval, and round. I'm in the oval catagory pretty much.

Fox is round to oval.
    ProTec skate's are oblong.
    Bell skate is round.
    Giro XC style is oval.

In Giro XC I just happen to be right between a M and L in them. Medium is a little to snug all the way around and the large has too much play all the way around. So, if their Remedy is build on that spec I may be out of luck with that one.

Bagtagley,
    Yup, didn't think of trying on other peoples at Ray's. That's a good idea as long as I aproach them correctly and don't weird anybody out.

I've found XsportProtective about an hour away. They are primarily online only, but the owner is going to let me come down to the warehouse and try on helmets. So, I'm in luck. I'll try and report back the different fit types of each helmet if I can.

Dan

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well peoples, I got to try on a Vigor Vamoose II at Ray's Indoor Mtb park. And it fit! Great oval head fitting. It's more of all mountain style as well with more venting. And the kicker was it only cost $30! It listed at something like $90 I believe.

I gave it a tryout yesterday as well. Temps were around 65 deg F. It did get a little hot, but not too bad overall. Weight was fairly light for a FF and not an issue at all. Vision uneffected. Breathing heavy was a little weird since I could hear myself, but didn't feel smothered really.

So, I'm diggin' the new brain shell.

Oh yeah, I believe the Vigor Vamoose II is made by HJC. It has an HJC helmet buckle and the trim around the face opening is also branded HJC. Kind of interesting to see that.
    Last edited by Turtle01; 10-23-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 2