Full Face Helmets- Mtbr.com

Nov 2004

Full Face Helmets

Hi, I've been looking everywhere for a specific helmet but can't find which one it is. My friend used to have one (no longer than a year ago) and it was absolutely excellent. It is constructed very similarly to a standard helmet, with lots and lots of vents and such, but it had the addition of a bolt-on piece that made it into a full-face helmet. If I remember correctly, this piece was removable. It was all black, (relatively) expensive, and very comfortable. Does anybody know what company may make this type of a helmet?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flagupyourass
    Hi, I've been looking everywhere for a specific helmet but can't find which one it is. My friend used to have one (no longer than a year ago) and it was absolutely excellent. It is constructed very similarly to a standard helmet, with lots and lots of vents and such, but it had the addition of a bolt-on piece that made it into a full-face helmet. If I remember correctly, this piece was removable. It was all black, (relatively) expensive, and very comfortable. Does anybody know what company may make this type of a helmet?

I think the giro switchblade was something like that. I also am pretty sure they're bringing it back, though it was out of production for a year.

Glad to Be Alive
    I think it is a Giro too...but for cheaper $$$ and better protection go with the 661 full bravo...a lot of vents
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Nov 2004
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

Sep 2004
    agreed, go for the 661 full bravo. Its a great helmet. I have one and am very pleased

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBSully
    agreed, go for the 661 full bravo. Its a great helmet. I have one and am very pleased
    yeah the full bravo kicks- a$$, Im definately getting one.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    yeah the full bravo kicks- a$$, Im definately getting one.
    yeah and it is under 70 bucks too...I've seen it for 49 bucks - on a blow out
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yeah and it is under 70 bucks too...I've seen it for 49 bucks - on a blow out
    At my Lbs they have em for $110 cdn, then I save 20%, + tax so it's $101.20, sweet!
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Feb 2004
    Yeah, but the original poster was looking for a helmet that converted back and forth between full-face and brain-bucket.

From everything I've seen the bravo is a smoking deal, so at tht price he could just get 2 separate helmets, but that's beside the point.

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Dang my lbs is selling it for $199. I get %10 off anything I buy, so than its $180, which is the MSRP! Plus, they dont even have my size.

mtbr member

I agree with the others, sounds like you are talking about the Giro Switchblade.

Not a bad helmet, but that front guard offers minimal real protection in the event of a crash. On my FR bike I feel much safer in a real FF helmet.

Glad to Be Alive

not really a noob
    theres a giro mad max 2 at my lbs and it is extremely light and comfy but its $190
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Jun 2004

switchblade

If I remember correctly, the Giro Switchblade was discontinued in '03 (I remember looking all over for one). There have been some horror stories about the chin bar shattering on impact and causing some detoothing and facial trauma. Not sure if that's why Giro dropped it, but good luck finding one...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had (actually still have) a Switchblade, but never wear it with the face mask anymore. A few years back there were some threads on various boards with pictures of the resulting facial trauma when somebody hit something hard (ie trees, rocks) with the face mask. It had pretty thick, hard plastic and very little foam on the inside, which ended up in sharp edges coming in contact with some faces. Bad news.

We are huge fans of the Vigor Vamoose 2 helmet, pretty much everybody on our team (except Matt, CVD, JP, and myself, who wear Troy Lee helmets) wears a Vigor lid. They have great ventilation, and they weigh about about 80 grams more than a composite TLD . The carbons are sold out at the moment at Vigor, they're supposed to have a new version (presumable the Vamoose 3) in a month or so.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Feb 2005

661 flight

get a 661 flight they are sick!!!

mtbr member
    I just bought a 661 Full Bravo carbon, freakin sweet.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

I do small drops.
    The Switchblade went out of production because people were getting hurt thinking it worked like a real full-face, when it doesn't. Don't get one unless you're doing some slightly aggressive trail riding, and even then your best bet is just a half-shell and crossed fingers. If you are riding the type of stuff that requires a full-faced helmet, there's only one way to go: Full on full-faced. I have a 661 Full Bravo, and it's super nice, but my next helmet is probably going to be a Troy Lee, even though they're more, they're good helmets. Also, don't look for a Switchblade back anytime soon, unless they seriously revamped the design, because there were too many injuries arising out of it.

They money you spend on armor will be miniscule compared to an emergency room bill.
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

Jan 2004

yeps

yea its a giro switch blade.....

go with the full bravo i have one and its saved me countless times. ive had it for about a year and a half now. Thogh i think im gona replace it with a new bravo b/c from my last crash when i grab the jaw peice i can wigle it freely glad i had it . save me from another 1500 or more of jaw work.... get the bravo ... drinking out of a straw for 3 months sucks.

mtbr member
    The Giro Switchblade has been discontinued...finally. I tried for several years to convince a friend of mine to buy a "real" helmet but, no. It was only after a major faceplant at The Whistler Bikepark last year that he finally had to retire the POS. I guess the other contributing factor is the ongoing plastic surgery that has been required after the lower part of the helmet seperated and slashed his face.
    Bottom line...the switchblade is still availible at some shops but don't buy one. The face you save may be your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE

go with the full bravo i have one and its saved me countless times. ive had it for about a year and a half now. Thogh i think im gona replace it with a new bravo b/c from my last crash when i grab the jaw peice i can wigle it freely glad i had it . save me from another 1500 or more of jaw work.... get the bravo ... drinking out of a straw for 3 months sucks.

May 2004
    protec makes one... check jenson

Glad to Be Alive

for fat guys like me we will lose weight. Seriosly they have this new helmet....it is flat black with red flames...it looks stylin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoe newbie
    theres a giro mad max 2 at my lbs and it is extremely light and comfy but its $190
    Supergo'd mine for $75 during a sale

Quote Originally Posted by bikescars101
    The Switchblade went out of production because people were getting hurt thinking it worked like a real full-face, when it doesn't. .

They money you spend on armor will be miniscule compared to an emergency room bill.

The real reason Giro dropped the Switchblade is because they weren't making enough money on it. They had to have it hand built in Europe, while they were able to get all their other helmets mass produced (including the Pnumo, E2, etc) in China. The margin of profit on the Switchblade wasn't good enough for them, so they dropped it from their line up, quietly.

I own one (Switchblade) and do all my trail(XC) ridding with it. It saved me from certain facial/dental reconstructive surgery once when I set down crossed up and did a nice long slide across some shale/rocky dirt. It is NOT a DH helmet, and not meant to withstand the same impact, as it says all over the box when you buy it. Some fools used it for real hard core stuff anyhow, and, oh my gosh, it didn't work out for them like a real DH lid would have.

The Switchblade was a unique and valuable product for a niche. If you want one, please write Giro a nice e-mail and maybe, eventually they will bring it back (that's what they told me...I can still hope)

Jan 2004

lol

for fat guys like me we will lose weight. Seriosly they have this new helmet....it is flat black with red flames...it looks stylin'
    your right. i weighed 170 n went down to 120 in 6 months..... all they would let me have were vanila proteen shakes and garbage like that. i tried to pull a garfiled and got one of those slush straws n tried to suck chunks of mutalated mc donalds burger and fries through it though.

Glad to Be Alive
    your right. i weighed 170 n went down to 120 in 6 months..... all they would let me have were vanila proteen shakes and garbage like that. i tried to pull a garfiled and got one of those slush straws n tried to suck chunks of mutalated mc donalds burger and fries through it though.
    thats what I need but I only want 15 pounds

Jan 2004

lol

thats what I need but I only want 15 pounds
    its eaiser to put on weight and muscel mass once your body has gotten rid of most of its fat :P it took me three weeks to get back up to 170... I worked out and ate like a pig. the first thing i got my teeth on once i was free of being wired shut was a nice juicy steak .

its eaiser to put on weight and muscel mass once your body has gotten rid of most of its fat :P .
    Not true. Study biology.

Sorry if that sounds abrupt, but I get tired of people making all sorts of diet claims. Also you can't physically put on tens of pounds of muscle in 3 weeks without use of anabolic steroids. You can loose a lot of weight, and a lot of water weight, and you can easily re-hydrate yourself, but muscle is naturally hard to build.

Jan 2004

for some its hard and others its easy. its espcecialy easy when you have been fit your whole life... and not specficaly mucel mass ither. your body needs fat to burn for energy.
    I lost some mucel mass but not alot. I used to train all the time and still do for xc races. and XC ski races. if you eat and work right and folow what your doc tells you u can gain your mass back quickly. im not saying i was 100 % at 3 weeks im just saying for some people its easy and for others its hard.

Feb 2005

Still in production...

The Switchblade may be out of production, but if you want something with a bolt-on chinpiece, Met still make the Parachute - which is very similar to the Switchblade, in that it's an XC lid with a bolt on chin guard. Can't remember whether it's modelled on the 5th element or the anaxagore XC lid though.
    My best mate has one which he uses for all his XC riding as he has a tendency to remove his face. He loves it. I have to say I would want something sturdier for DH though.