full face helmets- Mtbr.com
    kona-tize me captain

full face helmets

anyone no of a good full face helmet for under 210 that not to heavy strong. wiefght doesnt matter to much but i dotn want 30 pounds on my head anyone got pics or suggestiosn let me know.

Glad to Be Alive
    661 full bravo....60 bucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ceteris paribus
    I got a Full Bravo Carbon for $150 off my LBS...

sweet deal....
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Giro mad max 2, 80 off jensonusa, its light, good range of vision, and looks damn good

N* Bomber Crew
    I just got a 661 Full Comp from Pricepoint. Freakin' awesome helemet, love the fit and everything. Only thing I sorta sacrifice with the low price is the larger front jaw vents, I got smaller ones off to the side...but I'll live. It fits, and the visability rules, couldn't be happier.

Oh, its 50 bucks. pricepoint. 661 Full Comp.(But if you're looking under 210, get like a Full Bravo or something. Go with 661, you can't go wrong.)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Uhhhhh...
    I rock the 661 Bravo Carbon and it's alright. TLD is the way to go no doubt, or the new 661 Moto helmet. $50 helmet for a $50 head.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

ceteris paribus
    Yeah that 661 carbon it's weightless, and it's got great ventilation.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    anyone no of a good full face helmet for under 210 that not to heavy strong. wiefght doesnt matter to much but i dotn want 30 pounds on my head anyone got pics or suggestiosn let me know.
    Any of the 661 helmets are tits! If you want to spend less than $210US, go for the full Bravo Carbon. I've been using that helmet for almost a year and it has saved me a few trips to the ER, plus, it still looks almost new!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    I rock the 661 Bravo Carbon and it's alright. TLD is the way to go no doubt, or the new 661 Moto helmet. $50 helmet for a $50 head.

-TS
    Not necessarily. You don't need an expensive helmet to be protected. There are many moto helmets available for under $100, and according to the DOT and Snell Foundation, they will protect your head better than even the expensive MTB helmets which only pass the CPSC standards. Extra weight of moto helmets is a non-issue for me

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Not necessarily. You don't need an expensive helmet to be protected. There are many moto helmets available for under $100, and according to the DOT and Snell Foundation, they will protect your head better than even the expensive MTB helmets which only pass the CPSC standards. Extra weight of moto helmets is a non-issue for me
    It's not all about safety though. A $50 helmet is going to be heavier, more uncomfortable, not as well ventilated, and not as bling as a more expensive helmet.

-TS

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Any of the 661 helmets are tits! If you want to spend less than $210US, go for the full Bravo Carbon. I've been using that helmet for almost a year and it has saved me a few trips to the ER, plus, it still looks almost new!
    Wow, you may need a new helmet by now.

-TS

Jan 2004
    It's not all about safety though. A $50 helmet is going to be heavier, more uncomfortable, not as well ventilated, and not as bling as a more expensive helmet.

-TS
    It's not about safety? I thought safety was the purpose of a helmet? If you are worried about being uncomfortable or poor ventilation, just don't wear a helmet!

Bling is pretty important though...

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    It's not about safety? I thought safety was the purpose of a helmet? If you are worried about being uncomfortable or poor ventilation, just don't wear a helmet!

Bling is pretty important though...
    Well, ok, maybe your right. But i like being safe and comfortable.

-TS

N* Bomber Crew

-TS
    Mine isn't heavy, and it is comfortable. It isn't as ventilated as I wish it would be, but it works out thankfully.

It's actually a LOT nice than you think it is. It looks like, and feels like a 150 dollar helmet without those nit picky extras/

Not everyone here has 200 dollars to blow on a helmet.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    get the damn giro its awesome

May 2004
    TLD Composite $189.....depending on the shape of your head, I just find the TLD helmets much more comforable than the 661.

mtbr member
    661's don't fit me at all, very, very uncomfortable. Try a Bell Bellistic. Many top pros use them and they are on sale for under $50 through many shops. I've got one and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Are there any full face helmets out there with which you can remove the face sheild for xc riding and reattach it for more burly stuff? I know giro made one a few years back but I'm pretty sure they dont make it anymore.

Jan 2004

Giro Mad Max

The Mad Max is a great helmet.
    Space Balls has Lord Helmet.

Aug 2004
    does anyone use an azonic azx? any opinions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Are there any full face helmets out there with which you can remove the face sheild for xc riding and reattach it for more burly stuff? I know giro made one a few years back but I'm pretty sure they dont make it anymore.
    PRO-TEC ACE FULL FACE
    This lightweight full face features a high density ABS outer shell and EPS
    impact liner. Completely removable and washable interior fit pads for ventilation and comfort along with an MX style removable visor.

Colors: Metallic Silver, Pearl White, Metallic Black

Sizes: S, M, L, XL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004

Yep

I got one last year for my birthday. I think it's more of a motocross helmet, isn't it? Anyway I thought it was overkill because I don't do anything that big yet, so I went and got the Mad Max. I still have that Azonic though. I tried to sell it on EBay but it didn't go.

the target bike basher
    meh, all my full face helmets have been 20-30$ due to my exessive luck with prices, i would also go with the 661 carbon ones, or troy lee, if you can find a good deal
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Innovate or die!

hmmm

regarding the motocross helmet thing...... thats not entirely true. A Fully rigid helmet like the motocross one can dramatically increase the risk of snapping your neck. My dad has been a doctor for 25 years and tells me there is a reason that real motocross helmets dont have rigid protruding mouthguards like the MX ones. Same goes for mtb-------for the most protection you want a helmet that has a little give just like a well set up suspension. Helmets are designed to self destruct and take all the force on large impacts but protect the user. The main impact is gonna be taken by that closed cell polystyrene foam with all those pretty pads on it. Yes you get better features and lighter helmets the more you pay but basically you are paying for a shell that will absorb and crush under large impacts but will stay together(carbon fiber) instead of ripping apart and puncturing your cerebral parts(fiberglass). I personally will be wearing a TLD D2 soon but the 661 full bravo helmet is good all around but a little flimsy for expert and up racing and freeride. In short, motocross helmets aren't made for DH and will not protect you as well as a nice DH helmet. The US just doesnt make helmet standards with darts and a calculator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    regarding the motocross helmet thing...... thats not entirely true. A Fully rigid helmet like the motocross one can dramatically increase the risk of snapping your neck. My dad has been a doctor for 25 years and tells me there is a reason that real motocross helmets dont have rigid protruding mouthguards like the MX ones. Same goes for mtb-------for the most protection you want a helmet that has a little give just like a well set up suspension. Helmets are designed to self destruct and take all the force on large impacts but protect the user. The main impact is gonna be taken by that closed cell polystyrene foam with all those pretty pads on it. Yes you get better features and lighter helmets the more you pay but basically you are paying for a shell that will absorb and crush under large impacts but will stay together(carbon fiber) instead of ripping apart and puncturing your cerebral parts(fiberglass). I personally will be wearing a TLD D2 soon but the 661 full bravo helmet is good all around but a little flimsy for expert and up racing and freeride. In short, motocross helmets aren't made for DH and will not protect you as well as a nice DH helmet. The US just doesnt make helmet standards with darts and a calculator.
    Hmmm, very interesting. You may be amused to find that when I was at Interbike, Troy Lee himself told me to consider their SE motocross helmet for downhill over their D2 because he said it offered more protection and was certified with SNELL approval.

"real motocross helmets dont have rigid protruding mouthguards like the MX ones."? What does this mean?

When I ride stunt trails and do general freeriding, I wear my Bell Bellistic full face dh helmet, that is designed for repeated minor bumps.
    When doing lift assisted runs down MT. Hood through 50 mph rock gardens, I'll choose my Shoei motocross helmet, which is designed for one severe blow.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Hmmm, very interesting. You may be amused to find that when I was at Interbike, Troy Lee himself told me to consider their SE motocross helmet for downhill over their D2 because he said it offered more protection and was certified with SNELL approval.

"real motocross helmets dont have rigid protruding mouthguards like the MX ones."? What does this mean?

When I ride stunt trails and do general freeriding, I wear my Bell Bellistic full face dh helmet, that is designed for repeated minor bumps.
    When doing lift assisted runs down MT. Hood through 50 mph rock gardens, I'll choose my Shoei motocross helmet, which is designed for one severe blow.
    James at go-ride.com explained this argument best. I just did a quick search and couldn't find it though. I'll check another site to see if I can find it there. Maybe he’ll chime in...
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Apr 2004

Sep 2004
    I havent tried it yet but i hear that the vigor vamoose is supposed to be as light as the TLD helmets and theyre like $90 to $125. They look good IMO.

https://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_vigor.html

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    My dad has been a doctor for 25 years and tells me there is a reason that real motocross helmets dont have rigid protruding mouthguards like the MX ones.
    All MX helmets have one-piece shells with integrated chin bars. (There are a couple cheap ones with detachable chin bars, but I've never seen anyone actually wear one.)

Also, the shell distinction you want to draw is between polycarbonate plastic and fiberglass/carbon fiber. Plastic shells bounce when they hit something. This is not good for your neck. Fiberglass or CF will crush and absorb some of the impact through destruction, keeping your head from bouncing.

Fiberglass will *NOT* rip apart and "crush your cerebral parts". Carbon fiber and fiberglass are basically the same thing; as used in helmets, they're both tiny fibers woven into a coarse cloth-like material and shaped/cured with epoxy resin. I have crashed more than one fiberglass moto helmet...in one case, the road ground it down to the fibers.

Apr 2004

Sizing??

How to tell which helmet size by mail order? I got a pretty gi-normous noggin, My baseball hat is 7 3/8. Which size helmet will fit best? I could go to LBS but I's be using them. That Full carbon is bling-bling, but dat's some tall cash.

Dan

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-o-saurus
    My baseball hat is 7 3/8. Which size helmet will fit best?

Dan
    i love the vigors i have one, i have a 7 3/4 size hat and im 14, i use a large on the vigors
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Innovate or die!

jeez

i know im right on this one no sweat. the danger of the motocross helmets is the risk of snapping your neck because of the rigidity. yes its gonna take big hits better but there is going to be a largely increased risk on "regular" crashes. this is not even worth my time because anyone who hasn't worked at a bike shop their whole life(erhhmm) knows it. your A not mine.