Full Face Helmets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Full Face Helmets

How well do they protect the jaw during a crash. I recently broke my jaw and I would think a full face would of prevented it but I want some more opinions on it.

mtbr member
    Well considering the helmet covers your jaw... I'd say pretty well. I had a few wrecks where I nailed a tree with my helmet and I know for a fact if I didn't have it on I'd be missing some teeth.

Better to be overprotected than underprotected.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    depends how your jaw was it. hit from the front, yes most full face helmets will protect you.

almost all full face helmets are open under neither the chin gaurd though, so depending how far ur chin is sticking out and how you land, it might not.

as with all armor, nothing prevents, just lessens the chance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes I know a helmet wont prevent everything but I want to make sure I am more prepared next time. How I broke my jaw was falling side of my face into the ground. So I am assuming a full face would of prevented it but I wanted to see what other peoples opinions were.

N* Bomber Crew
    Don't get a Specialized Deviant if you are concerned about your Jaw. The chin bar is really long, leaving the underside exposed to things that can mess your chin/jaw area up.

661 Helmets have Chin bars that are pretty close to your face.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So chin bars close the the face protect the jar more?
    What would be a disadvantage of a chin bar being close to the face?
    Thanks

OMG!
    i can't believe some of the stupid **** that gets posted on here. will a full face protect my whole face? the **** outta here

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    i can't believe some of the stupid **** that gets posted on here. will a full face protect my whole face? the **** outta here
    normally id agree with you, but certain subjects like safety, theres no such thing as a stupid question/post.

"what color spokes should i get" posts are a different story

mtbr member
    I would say it probably good idea to get one. I like the giro remedy personally. It fits great and the protection is pretty close to the face.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225
    Thanks
    You don't want it too close though. A Pryme helmet fits insanely close to my face, too close in fact. Generally I want to be able to slide my hand up through the helmet when I have it on and be able to place my hand over my nose and mouth. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    When it comes to safety, there might be a such thing as mundane questions, but there are no questions that don't deserve an answer. So....

Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    normally id agree with you, but certain subjects like safety, theres no such thing as a stupid question/post.

"what color spokes should i get" posts are a different story
    Exactly. This guy gets it.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, a full face would have prevented it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok thanks. These were the answers I was looking for. Ill look around now for a nice full face helmet now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The giro remedy has a copy of a fastex buckle that makes helmet removal easy.D rings are a pain with gloves on.Make sure the strap it tight enough to keep the chin guard from getting too close to your chin in a crash.Look for lots of vents also its worth some extra money.

Glad to Be Alive
    How well do they protect the jaw during a crash. I recently broke my jaw and I would think a full face would of prevented it but I want some more opinions on it.

think about it.....it would be nice to have something up front to protect you....but think of the bright side...if ur fat u can lose some weight
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

OMG!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    think about it.....it would be nice to have something up front to protect you....but think of the bright side...if ur fat u can lose some weight
    you been drinkin?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I personally tested a Giro Remedy lately- I believe it saved my face and my life. Now if their customer service would get back to me about a crash replacement(whether yes or no), I might buy another one.

N* Bomber Crew
    Thanks
    A disadvantage to having the chin bar really close to the face is bad breathability, and should you have a crash...there's no "crumple zone".

Most full face helmets, save for a few, have good distance between your jaw and the chin bar. I was using the 661 as a example as I find it a good length. As others have pointed out there are extremes on each side...the Pryme being too close and the Deviant being too far.

Popular picks seems to be the Giro Remedy, TLD D2 helmets, Six Six One, and THE One. Any of those would be sufficient.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

If you think you can
    ya the remedy is a good helmet, but I think it looks really big on me. Its comfy as hell, but I want to get another slimmer one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey kona stop looking in the mirror and ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0