full face helmets- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

full face helmets

i am trying to deside if i should buy a full face helmet, i dont do DH or mountan very much i mostly do forest trails but i like to go fast through them. also i am taking a trip to Vail Colorado and doing riding there, what do you guys suggest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    do it man!!! you'll look a lot dumber with have your face on the ground 50 ft behind you than if you were to take it with you on a dirt ride I don;t do DH but i plan on getting mor aggressive and getting into some bigger (6-8ft) jumps eventually and would like to have it for the one time my face decides to get intimate with natures carpet

s62
    mtbr member
    I first bought a full face helmet, and then got a regular one, and I don't regret it. They are certainly a little hotter, but they offer much more protection, which means you'll ride harder, and they aren't too bad. Finally, I bought a regular helmet for shorter rides, less serious stuff, and hot days. Also, all my friends made fun of me when I through on the FF for a quick ride to work You know yourself. Go with what makes you feel comfortable.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Get one. I use my Deviant on 90% of my rides. The only time I use my open face is if its ridiculously hot. The positives outweigh the negatives for me. I might look dumb to some people (who gives a $hit what people think anyway), but if I fall on my face I wont be looking at missing teeth or a broken jaw.

Just read some of the stories and look at the pics that get posted in the "Rider Down" forum of riders that didnt wear/have a FF. That alone will make you wanna go buy one...

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I see alot of people riding paved bike trails without a helmet. In fact, most people I see riding on paved trails or streets have no helmet on. People have this misconception that riding on bike paths or on road is not dangerous so they don't need their helmet or that their skill will prevent them from head injury.

Here in KC a few months ago, someone died in a Target parking lot riding their bike. They hit a speed bump and fell off the bike and banged their noggin. No helmet of course. This just goes to show that a helmet makes sense 100% of the time no matter what you are riding on. There is always that freak accident waiting to happen that will defy any logic you have in your head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Safety always takes priority over what looks cool or dumb. . There was a lot of discussion on the different models of lightweight FF helmets. Try in the all mountain or general discusssion and do a search.

40 & Fast
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    I first bought a full face helmet, and then got a regular one, and I don't regret it. They are certainly a little hotter, but they offer much more protection, which means you'll ride harder, and they aren't too bad. Finally, I bought a regular helmet for shorter rides, less serious stuff, and hot days. Also, all my friends made fun of me when I through on the FF for a quick ride to work You know yourself. Go with what makes you feel comfortable.
    I'm with S62, I have both, when I rally thru the woods I go full face. When i'm cruising the paved trails I wear my regular brain bucket.

I got a new Giro remedy a month ago and like it FWIW.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by i-ride-bikes
    i am trying to deside if i should buy a full face helmet, i dont do DH or mountan very much i mostly do forest trails but i like to go fast through them. also i am taking a trip to Vail Colorado and doing riding there, what do you guys suggest?
    I suggest skipping Vail and going to Keystone instead. Vail has a huge construction project right now, if you plan to ride the resort -- it's a mess. Keystone is kickin'.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Note that Specialized makes the Deviant, which is quite suitable for XC use (well ventilated and reasonably light) and offers full-face protection.

I'd definitely consider a full face helmet if riding XC in tight bush or anywhere that branches smacking your face is an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a Deviant as well as an open-faced helmet; in my experience, the Deviant is too hot for climbing in mid-summer (i.e. 30+ degrees celsius), but once you get moving downhill, the airflow makes it decently cool. I've found that a good solution is to wear my open-face on the way up (with the Deviant strapped to my camelbak), and switch when I get to the top.

Members who have read this thread: 0