Full Face Helmets- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Full Face Helmets

Hello everyone.
    I have a question for you all.
    I'm not quite sure if this could be considered a valid concern, but what is everybody's opinion on full face helmets warn strictly on XC and all mountain trails?

I've been mountain biking for a little over a year now, and I have always been attracted to the standard helmet rather than a full face.

Now, I could see when a full face helmet would be NECESSARY, for example, when it comes to downhill and freeride, but otherwise it just seems a bit out of place and noobish.
    However, I could be completely wrong with the above statement, so I am just going to throw this question out there to hear some feedback.

Any takers?

-Brian

Oct 2005
    I wear a full face for xc/am. I dont care if its noobish (which i am) I rather look silly with a full face helmet, than a messed up face. But thats just my .02

mtbr Decade+

Why not?

I've never given a rat's arse about what others think of my fashion sense, so why not? My only concern would be temperature. If i had a full face helmet, I don't, I'd certainly wear it when the temps were below 20C. I would think you'd want decent venting and a wide face cut out.

Oct 2005
    i know on my helmet, it has only a few vents. It nice on days that are below 50 but recently it got to 65 or so. And the helmet was really hot. For the warmer months I may get another one with alot more vents. Ill just have to see hot this one gets

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

I'm tempted, but...

Not many good XC full face options out ther in the US, yet.

Take a look at these threads...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=viper+helmet

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=viper+helmet

The Viper and the Parachute are two I'd like to get my hands on, but not that easy on this side of the pond.

I don't think I'd go with a full on down-hill helmet, but I've smacked my lid twice in the past two years, and a new helmet sure is cheaper than a new nose or a broken jaw. Luckily all <b>I</b> got were a few scratches.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINATOR
    Hello everyone.
    I have a question for you all.
    I'm not quite sure if this could be considered a valid concern, but what is everybody's opinion on full face helmets warn strictly on XC and all mountain trails?

I've been mountain biking for a little over a year now, and I have always been attracted to the standard helmet rather than a full face.

Now, I could see when a full face helmet would be NECESSARY, for example, when it comes to downhill and freeride, but otherwise it just seems a bit out of place and noobish.
    However, I could be completely wrong with the above statement, so I am just going to throw this question out there to hear some feedback.

Any takers?

-Brian
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    wear as much protection as you want/feel comfortable wearing.. who cares what everyone else thinks, or what you look like.. it's your face

i think fullface helmets are badass.. they look way cooler than XC lids.. i personally don't wear it on long AM rides, cause it's just too hot.. I wear a dirtjump lid, and i do like to wear goggles, as they offer far more comfort and protection than glasses. I do run into a bunch of locals with fullfaces on the same trails, and never think twice about it.

now, for shuttled DH or dirtjumping i tend to always wear my fullface.. risk goes up, price of the hospital bill goes up.

People that repremend you for protecting yourself are assgerbils.

mtbr member
    I wear a FF cause I suffered traumatic brain injury from a car crash a few years ago. So I need more protection than a standard xc lid. In the winter its great!! nice warm ears! while the summer time leaves me wishing I could wear my Limar road helmet. I recently bought a new specialized FF, it has more vents than most, we'll see how it works in the heat.

Like catnip for people
    Hehe.. This is just personal opinion here but I always laugh when I see someone wearing a FF... BUT, only if the bike doesn't match the lid... eg., K-Mart bike and FF helmet = me laughing
    I have thought about buying myself a FF, but I would just feel like total overkill with my commuting to uni, etc. I wear a XC lid, which I don't really like... Bout time I got myself a dirt jump lid too...

Live, Freeze, and Ride

I'm a FF xc/am wearer

I wear a Bell fiberglass FF, yeah it's kinda heavy, but not uncomfortably so. And the added security gives me serious peace of mind about knocking out my expensive dental work.
    Like others said - don't worry about what "they" think, do what makes you comfortable.
    They are definitely good if you live in a climate that has much cooler winter temps.
    And coming from a world of motorcycles, I always thought bike helmets were stupid looking and useless(I've proven that untrue many head shots ago).
    And there's way more room for stupid stickers. I prefer the rear facing Eat my Dirt!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

Oct 2006

Thinking about a FF helmet too

I've been thinking about a FF since 2 face-plants in a three week period in the fall, the second of which left a nice ding on my nose. It could have been worse, as my head landed right between two nasty rocks. For now, I've vowed to dial it back a couple notches.

How 'bout a forum devoted just to safety gear and protective clothing? It's an important topic whether you ride XC, AM or DH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    what does anyone elses opinion matter when it comes to how you protect your head. Us motorcycle types have a saying "if you got a $10 head then get a $10 helmet." wear the best protection you can afford that suits your needs.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    what does anyone elses opinion matter when it comes to how you protect your head. Us motorcycle types have a saying "if you got a $10 head then get a $10 helmet." wear the best protection you can afford that suits your needs.
    I think that a TLD helmet is more expensive than my head
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Glad to Be Alive
    I wear a Full Face on XC trails....if you crash going 25 or 30 mph...I rather have a full face then not
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Dec 2006
    Thank you for everyone's reasponses.

I have read through them all and appreciated everyone of them.

Just a few things I want to set back on track.
    I was never worried about what's others thought of me while riding.
    I was honestly just curious of their perception from other riders.

Until I have a hard enough fall, I'm going to stick with XC helmets.
    I'm pretty much a die hard fan

Once again, thank you for all your reasponses.
    Ride hard and be safe,
    -Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0