Full Face Helmets

Printable View

• 01-19-2007
    BOOMINATOR
    Full Face Helmets
    Hello everyone.
    I have a question for you all.
    I'm not quite sure if this could be considered a valid concern, but what is everybody's opinion on full face helmets warn strictly on XC and all mountain trails?

I've been mountain biking for a little over a year now, and I have always been attracted to the standard helmet rather than a full face.

Now, I could see when a full face helmet would be NECESSARY, for example, when it comes to downhill and freeride, but otherwise it just seems a bit out of place and noobish.
    However, I could be completely wrong with the above statement, so I am just going to throw this question out there to hear some feedback.

Any takers?

-Brian
  • 01-19-2007
    baddogg79
    I wear a full face for xc/am. I dont care if its noobish (which i am) I rather look silly with a full face helmet, than a messed up face. But thats just my .02
  • 01-19-2007
    Biggie
    Why not?
    I've never given a rat's arse about what others think of my fashion sense, so why not? My only concern would be temperature. If i had a full face helmet, I don't, I'd certainly wear it when the temps were below 20C. I would think you'd want decent venting and a wide face cut out.
  • 01-19-2007
    baddogg79
    i know on my helmet, it has only a few vents. It nice on days that are below 50 but recently it got to 65 or so. And the helmet was really hot. For the warmer months I may get another one with alot more vents. Ill just have to see hot this one gets
  • 01-19-2007
    JmZ
    I'm tempted, but...
    Not many good XC full face options out ther in the US, yet.

Take a look at these threads...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=viper+helmet

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=viper+helmet

The Viper and the Parachute are two I'd like to get my hands on, but not that easy on this side of the pond.

I don't think I'd go with a full on down-hill helmet, but I've smacked my lid twice in the past two years, and a new helmet sure is cheaper than a new nose or a broken jaw. Luckily all <b>I</b> got were a few scratches.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOMINATOR
    Hello everyone.
    I have a question for you all.
    I'm not quite sure if this could be considered a valid concern, but what is everybody's opinion on full face helmets warn strictly on XC and all mountain trails?

I've been mountain biking for a little over a year now, and I have always been attracted to the standard helmet rather than a full face.

Now, I could see when a full face helmet would be NECESSARY, for example, when it comes to downhill and freeride, but otherwise it just seems a bit out of place and noobish.
    However, I could be completely wrong with the above statement, so I am just going to throw this question out there to hear some feedback.

Any takers?

-Brian

• 01-19-2007
    blender
    wear as much protection as you want/feel comfortable wearing.. who cares what everyone else thinks, or what you look like.. it's your face

i think fullface helmets are badass.. they look way cooler than XC lids.. i personally don't wear it on long AM rides, cause it's just too hot.. I wear a dirtjump lid, and i do like to wear goggles, as they offer far more comfort and protection than glasses. I do run into a bunch of locals with fullfaces on the same trails, and never think twice about it.

now, for shuttled DH or dirtjumping i tend to always wear my fullface.. risk goes up, price of the hospital bill goes up.

People that repremend you for protecting yourself are assgerbils.
  • 01-19-2007
    nuttymtbr
    I wear a FF cause I suffered traumatic brain injury from a car crash a few years ago. So I need more protection than a standard xc lid. In the winter its great!! nice warm ears! while the summer time leaves me wishing I could wear my Limar road helmet. I recently bought a new specialized FF, it has more vents than most, we'll see how it works in the heat.
  • 01-20-2007
    ar1981
    Hehe.. This is just personal opinion here but I always laugh when I see someone wearing a FF... BUT, only if the bike doesn't match the lid... eg., K-Mart bike and FF helmet = me laughing
    I have thought about buying myself a FF, but I would just feel like total overkill with my commuting to uni, etc. I wear a XC lid, which I don't really like... Bout time I got myself a dirt jump lid too...
  • 01-20-2007
    lobolator
    I'm a FF xc/am wearer
    I wear a Bell fiberglass FF, yeah it's kinda heavy, but not uncomfortably so. And the added security gives me serious peace of mind about knocking out my expensive dental work.:thumbsup:
    Like others said - don't worry about what "they" think, do what makes you comfortable.
    They are definitely good if you live in a climate that has much cooler winter temps.
    And coming from a world of motorcycles, I always thought bike helmets were stupid looking and useless(I've proven that untrue many head shots ago).
    And there's way more room for stupid stickers. I prefer the rear facing Eat my Dirt!:D
  • 01-20-2007
    EpicRidr
    Thinking about a FF helmet too
    I've been thinking about a FF since 2 face-plants in a three week period in the fall, the second of which left a nice ding on my nose. It could have been worse, as my head landed right between two nasty rocks. For now, I've vowed to dial it back a couple notches.

How 'bout a forum devoted just to safety gear and protective clothing? It's an important topic whether you ride XC, AM or DH.
  • 01-20-2007
    rebel1916
    what does anyone elses opinion matter when it comes to how you protect your head. Us motorcycle types have a saying "if you got a $10 head then get a $10 helmet." wear the best protection you can afford that suits your needs.
  • 01-20-2007
    545cu4ch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel1916
    what does anyone elses opinion matter when it comes to how you protect your head. Us motorcycle types have a saying "if you got a $10 head then get a $10 helmet." wear the best protection you can afford that suits your needs.

I think that a TLD helmet is more expensive than my head :skep:
  • 01-20-2007
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I wear a Full Face on XC trails....if you crash going 25 or 30 mph...I rather have a full face then not
  • 01-21-2007
    BOOMINATOR
    Thank you for everyone's reasponses.

I have read through them all and appreciated everyone of them.

Just a few things I want to set back on track.
    I was never worried about what's others thought of me while riding.
    I was honestly just curious of their perception from other riders.

Until I have a hard enough fall, I'm going to stick with XC helmets.
    I'm pretty much a die hard fan :)

Once again, thank you for all your reasponses.
    Ride hard and be safe,
    -Brian