Full-face helmet for XC? LOL- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Full-face helmet for XC? LOL

I just saw someone do a faceplant today after hauling ass on the trail... Think he lost a couple of teeth...

Anyway... full-face a little too extreme for XC riding?... I would rather have age take my chompers away than sharp pieces of rocks...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boyRacer
    I just saw someone do a faceplant today after hauling ass on the trail... Think he lost a couple of teeth...

Anyway... full-face a little too extreme for XC riding?... I would rather have age take my chompers away than sharp pieces of rocks...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=29809
    This was discussed earlier this week
    Although not exactly what your looking for.. should give some answers....

Jun 2004

Sure if you can handle the excessive weight and heat it puts on your head. personally I've got 2 helmets, a fullface for when I plan on flying, and a traditional helmet for xc slower riding. If Im really taking it ez, I dont wear a helmet at all. Personally It's a comfort thing.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    there are some climates where it is simply not possible.

Jan 2004

Dude!

I have paid over a couple of grand for my teeth. If I am going to ride aggressivly, I'l wear a full faced. My grill cost to much money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Back in the day (95) a kid brought along a full face helmet on our college trip to Death Valley. The weather was a perfect 65, 70, but I thought he was crazy to wear that black helmet for hours on end.... until I saw him ride. Kid crashed like he was earning extra credit.
    Today, I probably see one FF helmet a week. Yeah, it's kinda goofy but they probably have a good reason that's not so goofy -- going to work one time with a bloody face and missing teeth is reason enough.

Just passing through....

I was in Marshall Canyon the other day and saw a guy pedaling uphill on his Enduro with a full faced helmet strapped to his backpack. When he reached the top, he strapped on the helmet and flew down the hill. I thinks its great that some exercise their choice to wear a full faced helmet. You're the one that has to live with your face after a crash.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

May 2004
    I wear a Switchblade FF helmet for XC and a full blown motocross DOT full face helmet for ski resort riding. At Northstar, I learned the value of wearing a full face helmet. Wear as much armor as you can tolerate. It only takes one crash to screw up your world. On the other hand, it all depends on how aggressive you are. btw, my shin guards saved me from a "for sure" broken leg (shin).

Some people say, "if you dont crash, you're not riding hard enough."

May 2004
    I started wearing a Giro Switchblade this year and my riding is mainly XC which includes steep downhills, stairs and smaller drops. Last year a friend that I was riding with had a wicked crash. He was doing a steeper hill and lost control, head smoked a tree and he chipped some teeth and scraped up his cheek and chin pretty good. Along with dislocating his shoulder he was roughed up pretty good. After that I decided to wear the full face, you don't have to be an extreme downhiller have a bad crash!!!!