full-face helmet for xc?.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

full-face helmet for xc?.

How well would a well ventilated full face helmet work for xc riding?.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It would work fine.

Its actually a pretty good idea considering the number of smashed up faces I have seen over the years. On a hot day it might suck a little more but really not all that different, Just not the style
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD.
    How well would a well ventilated full face helmet work for xc riding?.
    Honestly I don't see it. But I guess it depends on your riding ability and comfort level. Me, I could not deal with a full face riding XC. Those long climbs would be brutal. IMO

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm just not seeing it either. Unless you are racing in some really cold weather, I would think the diminished ability to shed heat would be a major factor in slowing you down in a race lasting an hour or more. There is a reason roadie and XC helmets are ventilated and pro roadies take them off (as permitted) when riding up mountaintop finishes. I tend to think the extra protection provided by a full face helmet over a traditional roadie/XC helmet doesn't justify it.

mtbr member

sweat blindness

The way i sweat, wearing a full face helmet would end up impeding my vision and probably increase the chance of a face plant.

mtbr member
    You can't put a value on safety; however, a full face for an xc race could be overkill.

mtbr member
    If you checkout the link from AZ MTNS. That helmet doesn't look like it would be any "hotter" than a reg helmet.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    You're right. It may not be hotter but did you check out the specs?

The helmet weighs 560 grams, which puts the helmet at a significantly heavier weight, and on your head.

My Kali designs helmet only weighs a little under 300 grams, so practically half the weight.

I'm not sure about you, but if I'm racing and have a bunch of weight on my head, I don't perform nearly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by speed metal
    If you checkout the link from AZ MTNS. That helmet doesn't look like it would be any "hotter" than a reg helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If that chin guard on that helmet is strong enough to provide any real protection then I would worry it would increase the risk of serious neck injury if you landed on your face or chin. With that shape it is going to wrench your head and neck to one side if you do a face plant unless you hit just about perfectly square (which would probably never actually happen in the real world). I'd be interested to see if the helmet is approved by the various safety organizations that do that stuff.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Heat exhaustion could lead to more accidents.....just a thought. But hey..at least your head will be protected. Sounds brutal... Vision could be limited a bit too?? You neck would be super buff....that would be pretty neat..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe
    You're right. It may not be hotter but did you check out the specs?

The helmet weighs 560 grams, which puts the helmet at a significantly heavier weight, and on your head.

My Kali designs helmet only weighs a little under 300 grams, so practically half the weight.

I'm not sure about you, but if I'm racing and have a bunch of weight on my head, I don't perform nearly as well.
    maybe shave you head to compensate for the extra weight?
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Why would I need to shave my head?

I don't intend on using a fullface helmet. According to your logic, only ones using a fullface would need to cut that extra hair off lol.

Besides, if you have that much extra hair at races that are known to be hot, you'd be sweating profusely. Good luck using a fullface in those hot conditions.

As long as I've been racing, I've only seen maybe 2-3 racers use a fullface on at a xc race (they were beginner racers and had no other helmet to use).

Quote Originally Posted by speed metal
    maybe shave you head to compensate for the extra weight?

Members who have read this thread: 0