Full Face Helmet that's easy to breathe in.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Full Face Helmet that's easy to breathe in.

Currently I use a 661 FF helmet that cost me $120, and everytime I use it, the faceguard portion limits the air circulation when I breathe outwards so that I get the sensation like I'm breathing under a blanket. The air just doesn't circulate well through that face guard portion.

I don't know about others, but I sure don't like to rebreathe stale, used up, oxygen-deficient, stinky, humid, warm air. I prefer a good large bolus of fresh air instead.

Looking at the helmet, there's a grated opening at the middle of the faceguard, but there's also a thin sponge like layer covering it. Is my helmet just poorly designed or are most FF helmets like this? I thought my helmet was like this because of it was a cheaper model. I would like some suggestions on a FF that doesn't break the bank in cost, yet makes it easy to breathe. By the way, there are almost no vents on the brain portion either--maybe just two small vents--so my head feels like a cooked egg on hot days as well.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Nov 2007
    I like my Fox Rampage a lot

mtbr member
    Ride faster, you'll get air circulation.
    On a more serious note, you can remove that sponge piece behind the grate to get better flow to your mouth.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that sponge is meant to prevent the tiny dust particles from going in your face/mouth whitch i dont understand at all...no reason for it. take the sponge out.

also i LOVE my giro Remedy. keeps ya nice and cool and very breathable and comfortable
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    make dirt bike noises when you go through go brrraaapp brraapppp brraappp it helps keep your mind off how difficult it is

mtbr member
    661 Comp 2 - About $70 off jensonusa.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by justcheckin
    that sponge is meant to prevent the tiny dust particles from going in your face/mouth whitch i dont understand at all...no reason for it. take the sponge out.

also i LOVE my giro Remedy. keeps ya nice and cool and very breathable and comfortable
    +1 on the Remedy..
    Wear mine up and down the mtn. w/out problems...Jenson sellin' em for $72 right now.

brake later, pedal sooner
    I had a 661 helmet......

I got a Giro Remedy CF version off JensonUsa for $150 .... and I can breathe through the helmet now it is so nice. I'd have to take the 661 off cause it restricts my air too much.

I can leave my Remedy on and have no problems. I definately recommend it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Specialized Deviants had plenty of air circulation. No sure about the new ones though
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

I'm with stupid
    I also have the giro remedy and i dont have any issue breathing threw it, even used it on longer uphill climbs as well.

EastBaySteez
    No full face helmet will breath well. Just face the facts.

Out of all the helmets I have tried I really enjoyed my time in the Bell Drop series. I also had a Giro Remedy, and a brief period in a TLD D2. The Bell seemed to breath much better than the D2 and the Remedy. Now some dont like the style, but it grows on you.

For 90% of the trails around where I live a 1/2 shell helmet will work fine. Without losing protection. The new Fox, Giro, and Bell "Enduro" helmet are pretty amazing. Low coverage on the back of your head and a built in visor for blocking out that pesky sun.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them!

A lot of granite rock lives in the places where I ride, so I want to avoid any kind of "FACE versus ROCK" event since the rocks always win. Once when I took a jump, I skewed slightly to one side and landed off the trail and kissed a tree. I wasn't wearing a FF and nearly smashed out all my teeth and could have broken my face as well if I was going just a little bit faster.

I find it hard to wear my current FF helmet in temps over 50 degrees, but I suppose I have to choose between comfort and protection. Hopefully the suggestions will make riding with one more bearable.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Members who have read this thread: 0