Full face helmet and sunglasses?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Full face helmet and sunglasses?

I picked up a full face helmet last week and went out for my first ride with it the other day, and overall I like it, but it makes my sunglasses fog up pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it's just because the weather is still cool here in Colorado or if this is going to be a problem year round. I was riding on a pretty technical trail, so I wasn't going fast enough to clear the heat. I don't really want to wear googles as though would be even hotter and I'm not in the mud, but I do like something to cut the glare on the super bright sun we have out here. Any input?

mtbr member
    I usually take mine off on long climbs for that reason. You can also try sliding them down your nose a bit. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's probably more to do with the outside temperature than what helmet you're wearing. I wear sunglasses with a full face lid, or an XC lid, quite often when riding. In warmer summer months, they don't tend to fog up at all. In colder conditions, they do tend to fog up regardless of which lid I'm wearing whilst going uphill for certain. Just take them off or slide them down your nose for climbing as said already!

Sorry, but it's no more technical than that really.

mtbr member
    I was hoping that the outside temp was the case. Just didn't have any experience with it in warmer weather. Thanks for the quick response.

Dec 2008
    it could be your sunglasses..try a anti fog spray if you havent already

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well, you started this post with the reference, "full face helmet". That covers a lot of ground that can go from some full moto-level models that breathe and flow air like a Glad Ziploc bag all the way to a highly vented full coverage like a Specialized Deviant. I ride all year in a full coverage Deviant that is probably the most highly vented full coverage model around. It's probably not up to the level of protection of my Giro Mad Max, but I can wear it all the time. The ventilation is the key to the glasses fogging IMO. The type of glasses, antifog agents, and temps can all come into play, but if the helmet doesn't flow, there's always going to be an issue in some riding conditions. As an example of weird and wide riding conditions, I camped and rode most of last week in temps that ranged from 27 degrees to 94 degrees...crazy stuff. My Oakley A-Wire shades almost never fog when wearing the Deviant. I'm not necessarily plugging the Deviant helmet here, just the fact that the helmet ventilation plays a major factor. Models that fit tightly to the face at the temples and cheeks can really aggravate glasses fogging. Yeah...they probably offer a little more overall protection, but I guess we're talking more about really riding and pedaling our bikes in more diverse conditions than just shuttled downhills. It sucks to be riding technical trail early in the day in cold temps and not be able to see what you're doing. Airflow is critical.

mtbr member
    I'll try some Anti-Fog spray.

I bought a 661 Evolution. It's fairly burly, especially compared to the Deviant. It does have decent airflow if you're moving along pretty well, but the trail I was on that particular day was pretty technical, and the first time I had ridden it, so I was going slow as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0