Full Face Helmet Shootout....err...guide.- Mtbr.com
    not a forum admin

Full Face Helmet Shootout....err...guide.

Hey all.

I mentioned in a couple post that I would be putting together a full face shootout/guide to help you'll have some more info when buying a helmet.

Well, the beginning is up. : http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/full-fa...d-guide-intro/

If you have any questions about the helmets that I didn't seem to cover please just let me know and I'll do my best to help you get the info you need.

Thanks
    -adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

sixsixtysix
    Nice write up Adam.

One helmet you might want to add to the list is the RockGardn Blacklight. Its DOT certified, lightweight and about half the price of the other DOT helmets your list.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Nice write up Adam.

One helmet you might want to add to the list is the RockGardn Blacklight. Its DOT certified, lightweight and about half the price of the other DOT helmets your list.
    yep - been talking to mark to get one in.

other peeps should add what they would like to see as well for the next round of helmets.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    yep - been talking to mark to get one in.

other peeps should add what they would like to see as well for the next round of helmets.
    Sweet, he's the guy to talk too.

mtbr member
    Deviant???
    Bikeless Rider

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Deviant???
    i can already tell you that helmet sucks. It is a glorified xc lid. almost everyone sold in the shop i work at has come back for warranty. The deviant BLOWS

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Deviant???
    junk......if you don't care about your head then wear that......it is simple garbage
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    great write up....I think you made a poor choice choosing the 900 series by O'neil

that thing is way bulky......I am really happy with the Azonic/O'neil 708. Great comfort and great protection. I feel really safe when putting this helmet on and here is the protection ratings

Exceeds SNELL, DOT, ECE 22/04 and AS standards

maybe do this helmet too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Meh...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Meh...
    OT but when are we going to see some pics? I've been looking forward to this sh1t for the past 8 months.

I'll read the OT in a bit and add something relevant or something, I promise

edit: your feeling on the evolution's chinguard is the same as mine, And i'm solidly a large. My old 661 helmet's chin is way further then on the evolution. I don't know how they could possibly have not heard that. At any rate, good reviews like this make me not want to bother writing my own, since I don't think I really have anything to add.
    Last edited by William42; 12-15-2008 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write ups, been looking forward to this for a while now.

P.S. You never got back to me on the pedal pic. Was it adequate for you? Do you need more of it on the bike this time around? I've finally gotten around to installing it.

mtbr member
    How about some helmets for those of us on a budget? I know it is your head and worth the $$$$, but there are some cheaper helmets that don't sacrifice safety for cost. Thanks!

I gotta pee
    THE one??

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Supple1
    How about some helmets for those of us on a budget? I know it is your head and worth the $$$$, but there are some cheaper helmets that don't sacrifice safety for cost. Thanks!
    don't do it.....just buy a good helmet at end of year sales

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have a deviant, i can understand why people dont like them, not much padding, the inside looks like an xc helmet etc, living off the northwest coast of africa though its pretty hot, every full face except the deviant will basically cook your head!!!! i had a crash last month and came down on my head and shoulder, the deviant took it well, unfortunately my hand didnt.

mtbr member
    I have a Deviant, and it has served me well, but it is nowhere near the quality that you can get with other helmets. My first one had to go right back because the size adjuster didn't work, then the helmet just self destructs over time. All the visor bolts have fallen out, most likely while riding, so my visor has been held on by duct tape for the last season or so. I can only remember falling and hitting the helmet once, and it was a tiny hit (BB cased a DJ on my DH bike ) and got bucked, but it was enough to unattach the foam from the shell, so it wobbles around when I wear it. Also the velcro wears out after a while, and when I tried to pull one of the pads off, it took both strips of velcro with it, only leaving the patch of glue that was holding the velcro on in the first place
    But it is very comfortable, light, and I was never too hot in it, so I'd say it was a great helmet for a beginner.
    Thank god I got a 661 Evo Carbon off of Chainlove!

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Great stuff

Adam,

Nicely done! Currently, I own a Dainese D2 Raptor and, though I like the comfort, fit, venting of the helmet, I wonder about its safety. I have been looking at the new TLD helmets for 2009 and my specific question is whether the standards like SNELL, DOT, etc. really make a difference when you are spending over $300 for a helmet (that doesn't have the previously mentioned ratings)?

Thanks again for your work on this review.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I had the Remedy for two seasons and then in September of this year it did what it was designed to do. I really like the helmet, but got a GREAT deal on a closeout THE One Carbon and must say that it is very nice. In comparison I think that the Remedy has a little more padding and sees to be a more substancial helmet, but the One is also very nice. If I didnt get such a good deal on the ONE I would have most likely bought another Remedy.

As far as DOT helmets go, I really like the fit of the SE2s from TLD. They can be found on Ebay now for a pretty good price on the yr end deals.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I like my deviant. In the south east it gets hot and humid. Every little bit of cooling helps. I would how ever suggest getting a DOT race helmet and just using the deviant for everyday riding.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

Members who have read this thread: 0