Full Face Helmet Replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Full Face Helmet Replacement

I have searched high and low for an answer regarding this, but I still question what should be done. When does one replace the helmet? I am not talking about helmets that are several years old, I am focused on ones that take hits. The safe answer undoubtedly, is after a crash and if the helmet takes a hit. I guess the more specific question is, "What is considered a hit?"

For example, the other day I was riding a new spot and hit a line with three drops. The problem was that I thought it was two drops with a very small roller. Next thing I know, I am staring at a third drop. Too late to drop it, I push the wheel as far down as possible in an attempt to minimize the carnage. I end up rolling the bike, giving the head a good whack on the ground, and I'm fairly certain, a rock. It definitely rung my bell a bit. Got up, nothing busted, shook it off and kept riding.

Does it get replaced? Heck, I'd be buying at least two helmets a year at that rate

I know it is better to be safe than sorry, but I suspect that plastic alone would dissipate blows like that. Would the integrity of one inch EPS breakdown so easily?

Thanks

Pete

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The foam can crack from pretty much any impact. Full face helmets are a bit more durable than their vented cousins, but I would still consider replacing it. It sucks, but it is a piece of safety equipment and you really don't want anything that isn't 100% when it comes to protecting your head.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123
    I have searched high and low for an answer regarding this, but I still question what should be done. When does one replace the helmet? I am not talking about helmets that are several years old, I am focused on ones that take hits. The safe answer undoubtedly, is after a crash and if the helmet takes a hit. I guess the more specific question is, "What is considered a hit?"

For example, the other day I was riding a new spot and hit a line with three drops. The problem was that I thought it was two drops with a very small roller. Next thing I know, I am staring at a third drop. Too late to drop it, I push the wheel as far down as possible in an attempt to minimize the carnage. I end up rolling the bike, giving the head a good whack on the ground, and I'm fairly certain, a rock. It definitely rung my bell a bit. Got up, nothing busted, shook it off and kept riding.

Does it get replaced? Heck, I'd be buying at least two helmets a year at that rate

I know it is better to be safe than sorry, but I suspect that plastic alone would dissipate blows like that. Would the integrity of one inch EPS breakdown so easily?

Thanks

Pete
    Helmets protect by having the foam compress. It does not rebound, so an area that absorbed one hit can not absorb a second.

If you "rung your bell" the helmet hit hard enough for the foam to compress. Job done. New helmet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0