Full Face Helmet Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Full Face Helmet Question

I got a new full face helmet and I am wondering if it is too big for me. How tight should the fit be. Is it supposed to be tight. This is my first one so I can't tell if I got it right.

Old No. 7
    Put it and and buckle the chin strap, see if you can get it too block your vision pretty easily, and see if you can pull it off your head too. If you can do either of these pretty easily I'd say it's too big.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Jun 2005
    you want it snug when new.. you should feel a bit of pressure on your cheeks. the helmet should not twist/spin at all. it will break in and loosen up a bit to the shape of you head after wearing it a bit.

BJ-

Jan 2004
    when shaking your head side to side it should move no more than an inch, if so its to big and youll need to use your spacers. what helmet is it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Giro

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    when shaking your head side to side it should move no more than an inch, if so its to big and youll need to use your spacers. what helmet is it?
    Giro Remedy size medium.

mtbr member
    Hey...
    I bought a M Remedy based mainly on the Giro sizing specs. I did try it on in the store and my initial gut feeling was that it felt to big. I went with it anyway...not having used a full face before, I just figured thats how it should feel. Later, I went out and tried on a S Remedy just to see...BIG difference. It felt a little snug around the cheeks, but so much better overall. There was very little movement, if any, when I moved my head, compared to the M, which would slide around noticably. I ended buying the S. Also remember that a helmet will loosen up a little as you break it in.

In other words, just what fiddy said...

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gkler
    I got a new full face helmet and I am wondering if it is too big for me. How tight should the fit be. Is it supposed to be tight. This is my first one so I can't tell if I got it right.

With the chin strap comfortably tightened the helmet should feel snug everywhere. The real test though is pulling/twisting/turning the helmet with your hands, don't just shake your head back and forth - a properly fitting full-face will move very little in any direction. Pull up on the chin guard, if it turns in to a nose or forehead guard you have a full-face helmet that won't protect your full face. Also, helmets simply don't fit all heads equally well. Your head may fit one brand better than another. My Troy Lee D2 and the Giro Remedy fit me perfectly while the Specialized Deviant, even with the chin strap stangling tight is an absolute joke - I can pretty much pull the helmet up/back and almost completely off my head. A helmet can only do it's job if it fits properly.

Road/XC/Freeride
    After reading this I'm now a little concerned about which size helmet to order.

(As I posted in another thread) I'm going with a Troy Lee.

The sizing chart says 56 - 59cm = Medium/Large

My head is 57cm...

Anyone had any experience with TL sizing?

Should I go for the large or the medium?

thanks,
    I'm on the Twitter.

Members who have read this thread: 0