Full Face Helmet fit question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Full Face Helmet fit question...

Hello,

I've been looking into getting my first full face and I tried a bunch on today, both bmx helmets and MX helmets and I guess my question is how snug should they be? Most of them even the smalls if I pulled hard enough on the face guard I could get the top of the helmet to touch my nose. Otherwise they felt snug and fine, no slop moving my head around etc. and I couldn't pry it back off my head or anything.

Is this common or am I right in thinking that's a bad thing esp. in the case of a face plant which will probably put most of the force pulling the helmet down and wacking or perchange breaking the nose, or do most of them do that and if it does wack your nose a good one you just be thankful it's not the rest of your face?

I tried on a mad max II and it was a sweet helmet, but the S which should fit my head (it measures 21.5) was pretty loose it didn't take much to get the top of the helmet to my nose. It felt fairly snug otherwise.

Maybe I need to look into a XS...

Todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I was in the same boat as you.

I wear a small in Giro helmets, but the Mad Max II was too big for my little noggin and they don't come in and XS (I've checked). I've searched high and low for a helmet that fits. Mind you I don't claim to have tried them all, but I've tried alot. I finally found a Knucklebone Holeshot from Adrenaline Bikes for half the price of the Mad Max that fit very well. It just doesn't have all the vents that the Mad Max does. Give Jim at Adrenaline Bikes a call. It's considerably cheaper than the online price.

Duc

Dec 2003