Full Face Helmet for commute?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Full Face Helmet for commute?

Thought I would hit the experts on this one, so what are your thoughts on a full face helmet for commuting. I have been hit before in younger days and somewhat lucky, but now I commute everyday, follow rules of road religously, and insure plenty of lighting front and rear (ride home in the night), and still am have close calls. As an RN i know what cranial damage can do. My question is can the full face helmet like giro mad max breathe and be comfortable for a 10 mile ride and can the inside lining come off and be washed regularlly (may be get an extra lining) to be practical for every day use in Indiana? Please share your thoughts and reccomendations. Thanks

Fast Trails
    rob

Meh.
    You'll fry with that full-face for commuting. Get a Giro Xen or something. It vents real well and offers more protection around the back and sides like a skate lid. The Specialized Deviant is probably one of the best breathing full-facers, but it'll still bake your head when commuting.

Less yappin, more Brappin

The Downhill Commuter!

There used to be a dude up in Seattle who would commute on city streets with a full-face, body armor and shinguards. It was so rad to see him because he looked so tough, yet totally goofy.

May 2005
    sure if you can do it...but as jay z said "so unnecessary!"

May 2006
    for your commute, do you take a shortcut down from your mountain-top mansion or something?

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    just watch out for cars thats all,and ride on the sidewalk

Jun 2005
    FF helmet for commute lol the best protection i have for commuting is my array of fitted hats!
    This is what my head would have been like had i not had my precious hat <its a lucky hat now!

attending to my vices
    It's won't protect your Brain much better than a regular helmet but it sure as hell will keep your face pretty if you go piling into some minivan. If YOU think it will make YOU feel safer then I say go for it. But you will definitely have to NOT worry about other people opinions. Sorry for the capitals, it was stuck...
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

Members who have read this thread: 0