Full face helmet Choice Fox Rampage or Specialized Deviant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Full face helmet Choice Fox Rampage or Specialized Deviant

HI I am I guess new rider been riding for about 3 months but I love it we do lots of trails and some jumps we don't have many downhills here is San Antonio Texas but the ones we have are pretty rocky very technical anyways I love to jump ride fast and go thru rocks if I have to I wear knee and elbow protection from fox gloves also I have right now Fox Flux helmet I like it but feel like I would be better of full face that way in case I go down hard I will be protected in my face I am a girl so trail of jumps think not a bad idea I am betweet rampage and deviant which one do you recommend I will say I do a lot of trails875% 5% rocky downhills 20 %some jumps (learning not too bad though) any help?

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I would go with the deviant. It's relatively light and has lots of vents. It's good for almost anything.
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Deviant, but you really should try it on first to see how it fits your head.

Its got what plants crave
    I'll take "Punctuation" for 500, Alex.

2 minutes turkish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    nailed it

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    Sorry. I. have. a. habit. of. using. too. much. punctuation. I. cant. help. myself.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I don't care who you are, that right there, that's funny!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alex55
    Sorry. I. have. a. habit. of. using. too. much. punctuation. I. cant. help. myself.
    You forgot the apostrophe in can't

Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Deviant, but you really should try it on first to see how it fits your head.
    definitely. med. Giro Remedy fit me perfect while a med Bell Rampage was too loose. gotta try 'em on. i not familier with the Deviant the removable liner for washing was a big plus for me on the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Deviants are known for being light and well ventilated, If going for AM i'd go for the Deviant.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    You forgot the apostrophe in can't
    dang it!

'80 Rumme

mtbr member

I have heard ....

Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Deviants are known for being light and well ventilated, If going for AM i'd go for the Deviant.
    that the Deviants are more of a XC helmet. Definately not nearly as protective as the Remedy. Sure it has a lot of vents and is cool, but that also weakens the dsign.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I use my devient at bike parks and when i'm trying new jumps. I feel pretty confident that it will keep my brain safe. When I say it's light, Its only light compared to non-fullface helmets. Its much too heavy to use on a xc ride.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    like my Deviant. have ridden in 90 degree west texas weather with no complaints.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    that the Deviants are more of a XC helmet. Definately not nearly as protective as the Remedy. Sure it has a lot of vents and is cool, but that also weakens the dsign.
    Your listening to SMT too much. Deviants will protect your noggin fine for most situations. Helmets aren't designed to be strong, they're supposed to break so your skull doesn't. Having said that, I'm trading mine in for either a Remedy or an Evolution because the padding is so thin that when you whack it off something it bruises the crap out of your head. Plus I think it's wrecked anyways after a crash I had yesterday.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    An alternative tried and tested, had one hell of a knock with one of these on, had concusion but ok now minus a bit of common sense....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25080
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I had the Rampage. It's one of the better FF helmets I've owned, and it conforms to the newer DH standard (ASTM 1952?).

However, nothing matters more than fit. I tried on the Remedy and the Troy Lee stuff, and neither fit my head worth a damn.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I use a Deviant while riding anything bigger than a city bike path. It's relatively light, highly ventilated, and very comfortable. Purs and I live in the same area where heat and long distances are common. The Deviant fills the bill for more aggressive AM type of riding very well without being a deep sea diving helmet. If I were to do a shuttled-only venue like Whister or compete in a DH race, I'd be much more tempted to wear my Giro Mad Max. However, if the heat was up even in those situations, I'd probably go with the Deviant. It really is a great all-around helmet.

Coming from a dirt motor background, I've always been surprised how resistant MTB'ers are to a large part when it comes to a full coverage helmet. The Deviant is well ventilated enough to use just about all the time, though I don't use it on my road bike...LOL!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GOT the Fox Rampage rode 9 miles Saturday and 12 Sunday didn't feel heavy at all, pretty cool temperature was like 70 probably so not too bad I liked it a lot!.
    Most people in the trail looked at me like I was nuts for wearing full face LOL but its OK I don't wanna lose my teeth or scratch my face so I just deal with it
    Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Does anyone own a 661 Evolution? I picked one up off of Chainlove the other day for $71. It showed a retail of $179. It fits really well, but I haven't ridden in it yet.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by spainsoccerfreak
    GOT the Fox Rampage rode 9 miles Saturday and 12 Sunday didn't feel heavy at all, pretty cool temperature was like 70 probably so not too bad I liked it a lot!.
    Most people in the trail looked at me like I was nuts for wearing full face LOL but its OK I don't wanna lose my teeth or scratch my face so I just deal with it
    Thanks for the help!
    You will probably get those "looks" every time you wear a full coverage helmet on any trail. The majority of riders will almost always think you're a nut or a DH wannabe for wearing more than a soup bowl helmet and fingerless gloves.

I can't count the number of downright negative or judgemental comments from other riders even on trails like Porc Rim, Amasa Back, etc. at Moab where speed and technical lines are the norm for aggressive riding. I will never forget the time a perky young lady on her XC hardtail made a comment to me at the overlook of Castle Valley on the Porcupine Rim trail. Two of us geezers were just arriving from that 3 mile climb from the trailhead to the overlook to stop and take the obligatory pics and Powerbar break to check out the scenery. The young lady thought it was her responsibility and appointed place to make a humorous but condescending comment to the both of us who were wearing a decent amount of body armor and full coverage helmets. She asked something to the effect if we were scared. I jokingly responded something to the effect, "how do think a couple of old riders like us got to be a couple of old riders like us?" Everyone laughed and her group continued on to make the descent. After our break, we took off. At one of the rocky ledge areas on the way, we saw her group all stopped and huddling over someone. It looked intense and possibly bad, so we stopped to see if they needed any more help. It turned out to be the vocal young lady from the overlook. She had done an OTB on one of the many ledges. She had a nasty gash from her nose to the corner of her lip. She also had her bell rung quite strongly. I would never be the kind to say "I told you so" in such a situation, but you know it was in the back of my mind. Her group was going to get her down to the trail end, as it was apparent that she didn't have any other serious injuries...except for a bad case of knee rash.

I will never suggest or require anyone to wear a full coverage helmet for MTB'ing...or body armor. Those are personal choices. But I am always amazed at the obvious "looks" and even comments from many other riders who don't "approve"...or at the least, don't get it. Unless one is acting like an a$$ while wearing such gear, one ought to be looked at like any other rider. And no...my psyche is not that delicate. I just find it an amazing insight into human nature.

Oh...and I forgot to mention one other interesting aspect of wearing a full coverage helmet. My geezer riding buddy and I get a great laugh on a lot of the Moab trails where you're constantly crossing paths with other riders. On many of the fast and technical trails, we will go by or around other, younger riders. At some of the scenery stops or at trails' end, we get some interesting "positive" comments from those same riders. We've even gotten some utter amazement looks and comments when they see two "grey hairs" pull off their full coverage helmets to reveal that it was a pair of geezers who just flew through that last gnarly section.

Just wear the gear that you feel comfortable with and the let the "style mongers" worry about their next cover shot for MBA...or GQ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You will probably get those "looks" every time you wear a full coverage helmet on any trail. The majority of riders will almost always think you're a nut or a DH wannabe for wearing more than a soup bowl helmet and fingerless gloves.

I can't count the number of downright negative or judgemental comments from other riders even on trails like Porc Rim, Amasa Back, etc. at Moab where speed and technical lines are the norm for aggressive riding. I will never forget the time a perky young lady on her XC hardtail made a comment to me at the overlook of Castle Valley on the Porcupine Rim trail. Two of us geezers were just arriving from that 3 mile climb from the trailhead to the overlook to stop and take the obligatory pics and Powerbar break to check out the scenery. The young lady thought it was her responsibility and appointed place to make a humorous but condescending comment to the both of us who were wearing a decent amount of body armor and full coverage helmets. She asked something to the effect if we were scared. I jokingly responded something to the effect, "how do think a couple of old riders like us got to be a couple of old riders like us?" Everyone laughed and her group continued on to make the descent. After our break, we took off. At one of the rocky ledge areas on the way, we saw her group all stopped and huddling over someone. It looked intense and possibly bad, so we stopped to see if they needed any more help. It turned out to be the vocal young lady from the overlook. She had done an OTB on one of the many ledges. She had a nasty gash from her nose to the corner of her lip. She also had her bell rung quite strongly. I would never be the kind to say "I told you so" in such a situation, but you know it was in the back of my mind. Her group was going to get her down to the trail end, as it was apparent that she didn't have any other serious injuries...except for a bad case of knee rash.

I will never suggest or require anyone to wear a full coverage helmet for MTB'ing...or body armor. Those are personal choices. But I am always amazed at the obvious "looks" and even comments from many other riders who don't "approve"...or at the least, don't get it. Unless one is acting like an a$$ while wearing such gear, one ought to be looked at like any other rider. And no...my psyche is not that delicate. I just find it an amazing insight into human nature.

Oh...and I forgot to mention one other interesting aspect of wearing a full coverage helmet. My geezer riding buddy and I get a great laugh on a lot of the Moab trails where you're constantly crossing paths with other riders. On many of the fast and technical trails, we will go by or around other, younger riders. At some of the scenery stops or at trails' end, we get some interesting "positive" comments from those same riders. We've even gotten some utter amazement looks and comments when they see two "grey hairs" pull off their full coverage helmets to reveal that it was a pair of geezers who just flew through that last gnarly section.

Just wear the gear that you feel comfortable with and the let the "style mongers" worry about their next cover shot for MBA...or GQ.
    Good story. You just don't eff with Karma, she's a nasty one. I'm seeing more and more FF around here (northeast). It's a good thing to have when there's rocks around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Men sounds like a true story good one for making fun of people, I just heard too many stories of after I broke my knees I got armor or after my friend broke his jaws got a full face so I figure If I fell good riding fast and learning to jump with fullface so be it!

Members who have read this thread: 0