full face helmet "break in period"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

full face helmet "break in period"?

does the molded foam portion of a full face helmet compress at all once broken in from wear?

I realize the padding tends to loose structure over time. I have a kali shiva
    that fits decent but there is some pressure at the front and back of the helmet. They are areas where your forehead contacts mostly foam of the molded part of the helmet not padding. If it broke in it would fit great but not sure if it does over time. Thought about taking some sandpaper to it but I wont because I guess that would defeat the purpose. I have had other helmets that fit great at the beginning but once broken in they were too big. Those were mostly from the foam padding wearing though. I wish my lbs would stock some decent helmets to try before you buy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No, the eps is pretty hard and won't compress through normal use. If it really bugs you, you can try shaving some down. That will sure void any warranty, but it beats not wearing a helmet.

mtbr member
    You can always try sizing up on the padding. I want to say that Kali uses the same size helmet shell.

I've got an Avatar 2 and was concerned that the small may be a bit too tight. Kali rep told that if it is too tight...I can order the "medium" padding.