Full Face Helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Full Face Helmet

With it getting colder out I was thinking of switching to a full face helmet, and using goggles, even though im doing just trail riding. Will I notice the extra weight on my head? its been years since I used a fully (used to ride dirt bikes) so im sure they have gotten a lot lighter.

I'm not looking to break the bank here, but have been finding some really nice helmets on close out.

Anyone else ride xc trails with a fully on?
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    One word ... balaclava.

9 lives
    I agree with Clicker1... a balaclava is good

A ski helmet will work too. It's got extra insulation and it's light weight. I tried that on a few extremely cold rides

Usually though, I wear my regular helmet with a thin wool toque. It's so easy to overheat and that will cause you to perspire and freeze
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A full face is definitely a warmer option and isn't that heavy, but if you're not riding trails that warrant owning one, buy a balaclava. Another good option is a neck gaiter and fleece lined or wool cap. That way if you overheat you can use one or the other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    A full face is definitely a warmer option and isn't that heavy, but if you're not riding trails that warrant owning one, buy a balaclava. Another good option is a neck gaiter and fleece lined or wool cap. That way if you overheat you can use one or the other.
    What trails don't justify one? I know someone that had the misfortune of cutting nose open on a rock riding XC.

I had a tire wash out on me, two nice gashes on my forehead, one very close to my eye.

It's a silly misconception that certain trails warrant a FF and other don't. If you're riding a mountain bike on a trail, there is a chance you could crash and land on your face.

OP, they aren't really warmer, but check out the MET parachute and Bell Super 2R. Good for riding XC trails in the summer as well.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    What trails don't justify one? I know someone that had the misfortune of cutting nose open on a rock riding XC.

I had a tire wash out on me, two nice gashes on my forehead, one very close to my eye.

It's a silly misconception that certain trails warrant a FF and other don't. If you're riding a mountain bike on a trail, there is a chance you could crash and land on your face.

OP, they aren't really warmer, but check out the MET parachute and Bell Super 2R. Good for riding XC trails in the summer as well.
    Obviously if someone wants to ride mellow XC trails decked out in armor, full face, and goggles, that's their choice if it makes them feel safer and they should do so. You can still get hurt even when decked out in protective gear, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I feel that there are better options than a full face if you're simply looking for warmth.

FWIW, one of my coworkers crashed on a relatively tame trail and broke his nose despite wearing a full face and goggles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My Longboard full face is super light.It's a vector m5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would highly recommend a full face for the winter.

Went out on Saturday over the moors, freezing wind, hard rain. I had a full face and was lovely and warm. (My ears get sore easily in the wind - so it was a god send.) I shall probably wear it for the rest of the winter regardless of the type of ride.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    I feel that there are better options than a full face if you're simply looking for warmth.
    I didn't think OP was saying he wants a FF because his head's chilly. I thought he was thinking about a FF for protection and because one of their main downsides (heat) isn't an issue in the winter.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I didn't think OP was saying he wants a FF because his head's chilly. I thought he was thinking about a FF for protection and because one of their main downsides (heat) isn't an issue in the winter.
    "With it getting colder out I was thinking of switching to a full face helmet, and using goggles, even though im doing just trail riding." That's the first sentence of OP's post and it's what lead me to believe he wanted the helmet for warmth.

I quit e-MTBR
    I'm not slamming you. I read his post differently than you did and thought it might be helpful to clarify what I thought he meant. Wearing a FF for warmth seems like a silly idea because there are more efficient ways to skin that cat. Wearing more protection in the winter because overheating is less of an issue isn't silly, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    With it getting colder out I was thinking of switching to a full face helmet, and using goggles, even though im doing just trail riding. Will I notice the extra weight on my head? its been years since I used a fully (used to ride dirt bikes) so im sure they have gotten a lot lighter.

I'm not looking to break the bank here, but have been finding some really nice helmets on close out.

Anyone else ride xc trails with a fully on?
    Hi SML-2727,

Wearing a full face in the winter is not a bad idea. Not only does it provide extra warmth, but it offers extra protection.

Kali manufacturer some of the lightest bicycle helmets on the market, as well as the lightest DOT approved full face helmet on the market.

Full Face Helmet-img_9835.jpg

RideIO weighted our Avatar at under 800 g! And our DOT approved Shiva, which is also available with a breath box for snowmobiling, weighs just a touch over 1000 g.
    Smaller, Lighter, Safer

mtbr member
    I have an Avatar 2 and I'm not sure if I would use it for general trail riding. On the flats and climbing the combination of a FF with goggles...I would imagine it can getting quite stuffy...even with the cold outside air. Soon as you stop pedaling...your goggles will start to fog up.

CDK
    mtbr member
    You could try one of these @$25 its not coming anywhere near breaking the bank
    T.H.E. Point 5 Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA - Mobile

Ive got a 661 rage that is pretty good and jenson recently dropped the price pretty good

mtbr member
    I've got this 661 FF from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SixSixOne-Shif.../dp/B005PLQMEW

$60, plenty light and very comfortable.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but I went the cheap route and just bought a balaclava, went out today and it worked out great. Im now thinking of buying some goggles because my glasses leave a little gap for air to get into.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member

Re: Full Face Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I've got this 661 FF from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SixSixOne-Shif.../dp/B005PLQMEW

$60, plenty light and very comfortable.
    I have one of those and it is really good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    You could try one of these @$25 its not coming anywhere near breaking the bank
    T.H.E. Point 5 Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA - Mobile
    Second this. It's a really nice helmet, $100 brand new, a steal at $25. Even though you said you got a balaclava, it may be worth a look.