Full Face Helmet?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2005

Full Face Helmet?

Two questions: Are there any XC riders that wear full face helmets and would I be stupid to get one as a XC rider?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXC31
    Two questions: Are there any XC riders that wear full face helmets and would I be stupid to get one as a XC rider?
    In the race I did, which was just plain XC, a guy rode a TLD full face helmet and didn't do too bad at standings

Actually, I'm considering one myself, but I'm wanting one that has some ventilation, I think Gyro is coming with a new one, Specialized also, and Azonic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXC31
    I thought about getting a full face for XC too, but decided that I didn't need it.

But you could get one with a detachable faceguard, like the Giro Switchblade or the MET Parachute. That way you could change it if you're going to ride some more hardcore stuff?

Thomas

don't move for trees
    get one, its not worth falling and missing a few teeth. it does take time to learn to breath properly but its well worth it

mtbr member
    I need to get a new helmet and I was thinking about going full face too. My parents put a lot of money in braces and dental work for my teeth and I like the way my teeth look, I'd really hate to lose some teeth because I crashed.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

May 2004
    The fullface helmet will be a little warmer, you won't feel as much of a breeeze on your face. If your worried about your teeth, you couldconsider using a football type mouth guard, I have a friend that races road bikes and that is what he uses every race. Just pops it in and races away. Doesn't seem to slow him down any either.

mtbr member
    Yeah I just have a feeling during a crash in the future my mouth will land on a huge root or rock and I'll knock my fornt teeth out
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

don't move for trees
    this could happen to you
    while riding yesterday, i was really happy to have mine, since it kept me warm, and the wind/rain off my face, they also help with low hanging trees or shrubs trying to take over the trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Ouch man! Thats exactly what I dont want to have happen, what type of full-face helmet do you have?
    Thanks
    -Nate

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would never ever use a full face helmet while riding XC.
    I have been riding for over 13 years and i have never needed one while riding xc. I have fell lots and lots of time in every possible way and the only time i had an impact in my mouth was when i fell backwards down into a cliff and i got away with just a swell and a broken ankle tendom :S
    But the first ride i ever did on a freeride park.... whistler that is..... i learnt why you need a FFH for that kid of riding i would have hit my face hard without one in those nasty falls.
    So if you ride easy - normal - 1st degree dificulty level xc you dont need it, its better to learn how to fall. But if your XC trails are REALLY nasty maybe you should consider it.
    For example takig whistler downhills as an example if the dh on your xc courses are like the green or blue courses go regular helmet if they look anything like the black diamond use a FF
    Lesson of the month: Don`t run of a cliff on your Mountain Bike. It`s quite painful.

Phil from San Diego
    Specialized just came out with these full face helmets. They look pretty sweet and designed to be cool enough to wear for XC riding. Too bad they are all out of stock! =/

Specialized Deviant Full Face Helmets

Phil

mtbr member
    ^Yeah those look sweet, I like the look of 661's too.
    -Nate

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Get one!

Brother, get yourself a full face, no matter how hot they may be. I am missing several teeth due to an over the handebars excursion recently, and I just started riding a month ago. I am now riding with a Bell Bellistic full face and feel much more confident. Trust me, it beats wearing dentures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    When it comes to safety gear it comes down to what makes you feel more confident. If wearing a full face helmet will allow you to focus on your riding and not crashing, then get one and try it out.

When i race and practice racing on a BMX track I always wear a full face helmet and when I to XC riding I feel naked with just a regular helmet.

Is a full face over-kill? Maybe. But if it helps you take your riding to the next level you should consider it.

Good Luck,
    Jim

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 661 Full Bravo 2 fullface, it's great but it's a tad too a large, I'm gonna try and return it for a medium even though I've had it out on 2 rides. From those 2 rides with the fullface on I found it deff. helps you focus, and gives you a lot of confidence. Give a fullface a shot, I dont think you'll regret it.
    -Nate

Jan 2005

Well...

From someone who is at home recovering from a Grade 3 concussion, I wish I'd had a FFH when I had my accident. I was riding XC on a fast trail in NC and that's the last thing I remember. My friends say the trail suddenly ended and I was thrown on my face. The FFH may not have done anything to save me from the concussion, but it would have gone a long way on saving me from a partially paralyzed jaw and a broken nose.

Do what makes YOU comfortable and forget about the mtbing fashion police!

Members who have read this thread: 0