Fox Titan Upper Body Armor for snowboarding? Or others?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fox Titan Upper Body Armor for snowboarding? Or others?

I was looking for some upper body armor for snowboarding. I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions or can help with some opinions.

I've looked around a bit and this one looks pretty good.

Fox Titan Jacket Upper Body Armor
    http://www.xsportsprotective.com/fox-titan-jacket.html

Any opinions on this or others? What's it like to wear this? Do you think it would suit the purpose?

I was also wondering about arm mobility. Some of the other "suits" seem to have the shoulder pads strapped more horizontal to the chest and it looks like you can't reach up over your head. Can you reach over your head with this?

Thanks for any!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyways, so I tried this for snowboarding. It’s pretty light and mobile. And I was able to reach over my head no problem. Just had to loosen the chest straps a bit so it doesn’t lift it up that much and choke me. It’s not too bulky and fits under my ski jacket. The picture is actually not what it looks like. The cloth "shirt" is actually a mesh and parts of the armor look a bit different.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I have similar armour from Dainese and, when snowboarding, I only wear the spine guard (mine unzips, I bet yours would too). I wear kneepads sometimes too, and wristguards ... but I found the chestguard to be excessive and the arm-stuff to be not very effective. Having said that, I wear all my armour in the summer DH or even AM riding, definitely a good purchase.

If I could suggest something else as protection, the BEST investment of mine for snowboarding (other than my helmet or, you know, my board/bindings/boots) was my impact shorts (mostly when learning, but still today they're good). I can personally guarantee at least 5 times I saved myself from breaking my coccyx because of those awesome shorts; stupid rails + peer pressure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My spine guard/back piece unzips, but it comes off the “jacket” so there’s no way to wear it (other than duck tape ).
    ...unless there's a strap accessory I'm not aware of.

I got a Skeletools Impact shorts. It seems pretty good. It has a whole bunch of thigh pads that I’m not sure helps snowboarding. Maybe it you hit a tree or rail with your leg?
    http://www.skeletools.com/impact_sho...tector_s/4.htm

But, yeah, I’ve fell on my but many times. Fortunately, I think my tailbone is recessed into my but deeply so it never was really hit. But the shock from my butt fall actually cracked my neck many times and felt like it shockwaved to my head giving me a borderline concussion. I’m hoping the butt pad will reduce this effect.

Members who have read this thread: 0