Fox ranger vs Pearl Izumi Canyons mtb shorts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Fox ranger vs Pearl Izumi Canyons mtb shorts

Any first hand experience on either shorts? I have shorter thighs, so I don't want the clam digger look of longer baggys.
    Thanks
    Last edited by regulator3212; 12-25-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Change title

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have both. Being 5'7", they both don't appear baggy and I don't catch them on the seat.

I think I have the 10" rangers, not sure if they still make them. I prefer the Canyons as they are lighter and breath a little better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool thanks for the reply, I picked up a pair of Rangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I had the PI's. They are short in relation to my TLD & Panache shorts. I also think the quality of the PI shorts is very low. Barely worth the $24 I paid.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sfo423 View Post
    I had the PI's. They are short in relation to my TLD & Panache shorts. I also think the quality of the PI shorts is very low. Barely worth the $24 I paid.
    I just looked at a set of the Canyons at the LBS, while they do look cool (temperature) they also look VERY flimsy.

mtbr member
    Been using the Canyons for 3 years, though only occasionally the first two. Worn them once or twice a week(and washed weekly) for the last six months, since they get switched out with another pair of shorts.
    Cold water wash and hang dry like all my synthetics, and they still look new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    ...Worn them once or twice a week(and washed weekly) for the last six months, since they get switched out with another pair of shorts.
    Cold water wash and hang dry like all my synthetics, and they still look new.
    I've been using the PI Canyons for a few years and while the fabric is thin, they have held up extremely well for me. I even dry them with low heat (which is too hot with my old dryer) and as with OwenM, they still look like new.

mtbr member
    love my rangers, the liners are a pos but that's kinda expected. shorts for me have been very durable and survived a couple of crashes! I have two rangers and don't see a need to look for another shorts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have two pairs of each from different model years. The original PI canyon's are my favorite pair of CC shorts. just the right amount of stretch, and removable liner. The second was felt more like a boardshort. Instead of a stretchy material there is a stretch side panel. The liner was partly attached for some silly reason. Neither pair has much on the way of pockets. Both are very light and breathable.

The Fox rangers run large (if you are between sizes definitely order down and are made of a more durable weave so use them for all mtn. They also have a bunch of cargo pockets. The more recent one I have has a bit of stretch. The fox liners are not as good as the PI.