Forgotten helmet = lesson learned- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Forgotten helmet = lesson learned

Took off to go riding and realized when I got to the trail that I had not thrown my helmet into my pack. I had planned on riding a pretty easy trail that I had ridden countless times so I decided not to take the 20 minute ride back home to get it. As I was coming down the fastest section of trail around a blind corner there was a tree down that apparently blew down the night before. I had about 2 seconds to try to stop, needless to say OTB I went and landed forehead down in the rocks alongside the trail. This was at about 5 30pm, still sunny outside and when I came to it was dark. Luckily I didnt do as much damage as I initially thought from all the blood on my face and shirt. I walked home and didnt go to the hospital until I got up the next day. (wasnt really thinking straight) That was a mistake as they didnt want to stitch it up after such a long delay. They finally decided to just put 5 stitches in after they cleaned it so it would just hold it shut but not trap any infection in it since I waited so long. (which means I will have a nice forehead scar) Moral of the story is....no matter how much you think you are familiar with a trail or the difficulty of it always wear that helmet. If I had gone 3 feet more to the right into the larger boulders with my head I dont think I wouldve been found until the next day and in serious shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forgotten helmet = lesson learned-head.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    oof! ypur gonna update the thread with pics of the scar right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thats so stupid it happened the one time you don't have your helmet. Theres the law of averages for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    did they do a cat scan? had a friend with a helmet that went down hard, cracked the helmet and wasn't out as long as you were. fast forward a month and he's now in the hospital with part of his skull removed to let the pressure and bleeding release.

hope that heals up ok.

dave

mtbr member
    Hey Dave, no cat scan...all they did was take x-rays of my neck and back. This happened in a small town that only has a clinic and is a long way from a major hospital. They did tell me I had a concussion after doing some tests and advised me to go to the hospital for further evaluation but I decided not to go. (no insurance, no way I could pay for a cat scan or even another visit for that matter) Its been a couple weeks and I have no more ill after-effects, no headaches or dizziness anymore. Yeah, Ive never been knocked out like that in my life, I must have hit the magic spot or something. If my head feels out of whack in any way though I will take your post to heart and definitely get checked out as that is some scary s***. Thanks for the heads up. (no pun intended)
    Last edited by unicron; 10-30-2009 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yea, just keep a head's up. he was groggy for a couple of day, then fine for a month. then all of a sudden got some headaches and dizzy spell's. i guess fluid has been building up slowly.

hope all is well, it's got me a little freaked out as he's a great rider and one of my bud's.

Members who have read this thread: 0