Foot numbness- Mtbr.com

Thread: Foot numbness

mtbr member

Foot numbness

I'm trying to resolve an on-going foot numbness problem I've been experiencing.

I have 661 shoes with an after market arch support insole and use egg beater pedals. I don't really have any numbness when riding the flat areas and climbing, however, my feet get really numb when standing on the downhill runs.

I'm thinking that the soles of the shoes may be flexing up some putting additional pressure on the balls of my feet.

Are there any aftermarket insoles available that are fairly stiff that could help distribute my weight more completely during the downhill runs?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

mtbr member
    You probably need pedals with a frame to support more of your foot or shoes with stiffer soles if you are doing a lot of standing and having foot problems.

My personal solution for foot numbness based on what I percieved to be too-tight-shoes was to discard my insoles.

mtbr member
    I have a post on here somewhere about this exact issue. Had hot spots on the top, and feet would go numb on sustained out of the saddle descents. My solution was Sidi. The Giro guages and Codes that I was using had a very low stack-height footboard. This was great for pedal feedback, but I think was transmitting lots of vibration through the sole. Also, the top ratcheted strap was narrow and would cause hot spots on the top of my foot. Finally gave up and made the move to Eurotrash Sidi's. The stack height of the sole is very high like road shoes, but put alot of material between the pedal and my foot. The top strap has a super wide "saddle" that eliminated the too tight feeling. I can ride with these shoes all day. Superb craftsmanship as well. For real, these were life changing shoes for me. Go try some on!

mtbr member
    On one brand of shoes i own i have the same problem, (Specialized defroster for cold) so i curl my toes and it does help for the short term. I need new insoles as the stock ones don't work for me(The "button" causes the numbness for me), i think i will look at either custom insoles, or the 45north winter ones.

Two other brands of shoes work great, as the insoles are different.

But yea, in the short term try curling your toes, see if that helps. Not a solution, but see if it helps in the mean time till you get new insoles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My feet did this in my road shoes/105 pedals... the solution was to move my cleat back a 1/16th or so - and less snug on the straps.. Give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstateskier View Post
    My feet did this in my road shoes/105 pedals... the solution was to move my cleat back a 1/16th or so - and less snug on the straps.. Give it a try.
    What Kstateskier said, I moved my cleats back about an 1/8th" and was amazed at the difference in my riding. I could ride a lot farther / longer with the foot numbness.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for the suggestions! Had a great ride today and may have solved the problem.

I checked the cleats and found that the small plastic pad under the cleat was severely worn. I also found that a few of the cleat screws were too long. I replaced the plastic pads and used shorter screws, along with moving the cleats back about 1/16" . . . 90% better on the downhill runs . . . !

I may look for some thin carbon fiber sheets and cut out inserts to further distribute my weight.

Steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by n2dsky View Post
    Thanks to all for the suggestions! Had a great ride today and may have solved the problem.

I checked the cleats and found that the small plastic pad under the cleat was severely worn. I also found that a few of the cleat screws were too long. I replaced the plastic pads and used shorter screws, along with moving the cleats back about 1/16" . . . 90% better on the downhill runs . . . !

I may look for some thin carbon fiber sheets and cut out inserts to further distribute my weight.

Steve
    Great! Glad to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0