Fluorescent Helmet Covers - Talk to me people- Mtbr.com
    RAS
    mtbr member

Fluorescent Helmet Covers - Talk to me people

So I've got the fluorescent jacket and blinking tail light. Anyone have opinions and/or experience with fluorescent helmet covers? It seems like it would really improve visibility, but does that lack of airflow just burn a guy (or gal) up?

Any other must have "visibility accessories" for commuting during daylight hours?

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    I rigged a blinkie to my helmet, and put some reflective tape on it...I also put reflective tape on my top tube, fork, downtube, cranks, seat tube, chainstays....

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

99% of all helmet covers....

are desinged for cool weather use. They block wind (many are also water resistant) and will basically "burn you up" on hot days. The human body looses a considerable amount of body heat though the head. Ever hear the old piece of sage advice, "If your feet are cold put on a hat"? It works! IMHO restricting the air flow though your helmet even on a mild day isn't a good idea.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

LCI #1853
    I've got one of the Performance Illuminite covers on order, sort of stocking up before the Christmas rush (they had a nice sale on.) It's mostly for this fall and winter when daylight savings time goes away, and for the inevitable rains... I'm getting a little tired of a leaky roof ;-)

Two of my riding buddies have used them for some time, and liked them. But as mentioned, helmet covers are mostly used in the cold or rain to keep out the draft and/or leaks.

If visibility is your primary concern for now, get some of the Nathan's reflective tape and apply that to your helmet. I use a Giro Xen MTB helmet for commuting and night riding, and splashed it up front, rear, and sides with reflective tape. It shows up well in the lights.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Just thought some more, and remembered seeing these:

Nothing says "Look at me!!" like a few of those flags

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

RAS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bui
    Just thought some more, and remembered seeing these:

Nothing says "Look at me!!" like a few of those flags
    I could end up looking like a rolling circus tent by the end of this! Thanks for everyone's feedback. Sounds like tape on the helmet is the right way to go for my commute.

I'm SUCH a square....
    good, glad you got an answer, cuz the voices in my head told me not to talk to you...you're a little nuts!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

RAS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    good, glad you got an answer, cuz the voices in my head told me not to talk to you...you're a little nuts!
    With a 2 yo daughter waiting for me to get home each night I have no problem looking like a bike riding clown to avoid getting hit

mtbr member
    unless you're in seattle or england, you'll use the helmet cover a couple times a year. I hardly ever use mine because it rarely rains hard enough here. Also, you only use covers on days that are so overcast that it's raining, prob'ly not too hot then

-S

mtbr member
    Just thinking out loud here but what about trying some glow powder http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=42 mixed into a clear varnish or nail polish which is then painted onto your helmet, bike frame and bike components.

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzat3
    Just thinking out loud here but what about trying some glow powder http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=42 mixed into a clear varnish or nail polish which is then painted onto your helmet, bike frame and bike components.
    Nathan's or Scotchlite 3M reflective tape gets the job done. Front, side and back of the helmet. And if you're going to tape up your bike to "uglify" it, might as well use the reflective stuff for good measure.

Members who have read this thread: 0