flats shoes other than five tens- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

flats shoes other than five tens

so, I'm wanting to try riding flats after a spill where I was unable to clip out in time. so, got some cheaper flats, DMR V8's. Now I'm looking for some shoes.

Are 5.10's worth $100? They don't seem like anything special except for the soles.
    Any other skate shoes that'll work ALMOST as well?

Thanks,

Slick Rick
    Do they have to be skate shoes?

Tons of hiking shoes have sticky rubber soles, it's what I use
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use a light-weight low-cut hiking shoe from Vasque.....it has a Vibram sole and its comfortable.....but, its not that much cheaper than the 5.10's........

mtbr member
    Vans stick just fine.

mtbr member
    Yup been using Vans for over a year now..I like them..There Gummy and look and feel good..
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb
    Do they have to be skate shoes?

Tons of hiking shoes have sticky rubber soles, it's what I use
    yeah, decent hiking boots/shoes are more than the 5.10's. plus, skate shoes have a more universal tread pattern so I figured that they'd be easier to use with the pins, etc. I have hiking boots though so I'll give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Converse makes some pretty good skate shoes too

El Pollo Diablo
    Skate shoes forshizzle.
    Sticky, flat bottoms, padded tops and sides, and arguably fashionable
    I've just about worn through my riding vans...
    time to drop 30 bucks on replacements

mtbr member
    once you try 510s it's hard to go back. I tried to use skate shoes (vans) again and i just can't do it. Hiking shoes don't seem to have the correct foot contour for a nice pair of flats. I clip in on my all mountain rigs, but always use 510's on my freeride bike my dj bike. My .02...I think they are worth the money. the closest thing to being clipped in without being clipped in. they are really ugly shoes though

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah they are worth 100$, they're well made, stick like velcro, and are stiff soled which is good for pedaling. If you invested in a decent pair of flats like the DMRs, get good shoes, you won't regret it, unless your feet are still growing.

the DH ones are ugly, the freeride version isn't terrible if you like skate shoes, and they have some new less ugly ones coming, shown at sea otter.

Calm like a Bomb
    yes vans work and work good, but 5.10s are something else...well worth the $$

My spoon is too big!
    Has anyone here tried the 5.10 Ba5ic shoes? The Impact just seems too bulky to me, I want something a little slimmer. I like the look of the new Minaar, but I have no use for the SPD compatibility.

I've been wearing a pair of old BMX shoes for years. The Adidas Dave Mirra. They stuck to the platforms really well, but are totally broken down now. Time for something new.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Underskilled
    The rubber is worth the extra.

There are a lot of 5.10 resolers out there, just resole your current shoes in 5.10 rubber.

All the advantages, much cheaper.

Don't get anything without a 5.10 base, you will regret it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Only problem for me with the 5.10 is the bulky front. Feels like a pair of Ronald Macdonald's feet esp when using with smaller pedals.

Another one I like are the Nike 6.0s
    http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nke6/en_US/

locked - time out
    I have these 5.10's and love them.

They feel like a better quality skate shoe, stick like super glue and they aren't bulky at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

locked - time out
    5.10's and Kona Wah Wah pedals in action
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flats shoes other than five tens-alafia-big-air.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ok, i'm almost convinced. do the 5.10's run big? I've heard that they are almost a 1/2 size larger than stated size???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wear a 10.5 D and could probably get away with a 10, but I kind of like the extra room for my toes. Try on both and compare. Definitely worth the money as they will last at least three times as long as a skate shoe. I went with the Impact and LOVE them. I'll never go back.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I have worn Vans high tops for a couple of years. They work good on the bike, better on a skateboard.
    I got some Five Ten Nathan Rennies last year, and what a huge difference in traction/ankle protection.
    Just got a pair of Five Ten Line King, lighter than the Rennies but still amazing traction.
    Don't think I'll ever wear any other brand of shoe with flat pedals.

≈ > ♥
    I like Ipath shoes. The tread pattern on their Grasshopper/Locust works much better than 5.10's large dots.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    ok, i'm almost convinced. do the 5.10's run big? I've heard that they are almost a 1/2 size larger than stated size???

My shoes were dead on as far as sizing.
    Last edited by hygieneboy; 04-30-2010 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I have the same ones as Hygeine boy and they run true to size. Make a huge difference with good pedals. I did not want to spend the cash either, but I went with Zappos..best deal..good shipping and if you dont like them, send them back before wearing them outside.

mtbr member
    i use both 5.10s and my clapped out Vans HalfCabs. I like the Vans when I know I want to learn to jump a new section or little feature. It's much easier for me to get my feet "wrapped" around the pedals for feel and not as sticky. Everyone is right about the 5.10s, though. fugly but you simply cannot fault the function.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Totally agree. I have these same shoes and they stick like glue. I actually wear them for riding and just as shoes and they are very comfortable!

SKULL

Quote Originally Posted by hygieneboy
    I have these 5.10's and love them.

They feel like a better quality skate shoe, stick like super glue and they aren't bulky at all.

My spoon is too big!
    Go-ride.com has the impacts for $89, they end up being $98.98 with shipping. I may get myself a pair.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

meow meow
    i wore my vans eras tooling around campus and they stuck like glue. look for the classic waffle pattern but you probably dont want to get eras because of the low cut/ minimal padding. maybe the av eras? cheaper and imo look way better than 5.10s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Basics fall apart after a while....Impacts have a stronger wrap round moulded sole.

mtbr member
    Vans are great when the weather's dry, the soles aren't so hot when it rains. But if that gets to be a problem you can always have them resoled with Stealth or Vibram rubber.
    I have a pair with stealth soles and they're great, but it does wipe out any saving over just buying 5-10s.

Otherwise Shimano AM40s are a similar thing to 5-10 shoes but cost a chunk less or buy some Vans and be a little more careful in the rain.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 04-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    I had the FiveTen freerider and had to have it warrantied. The warranty pair fell apart just like the first pair and FiveTen didn't respond to my emails after that. The shoe is getting sent back to REI for refund.

I replaced them with the Shimano AM40, and while the aesthetics might not be so hot I like them a lot more than the FiveTens!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    cool. thanks for all the feedback. I found a pair of the basics for $60 so I figure I'm going to give them a try.

mtbr member
    try lakai skate shoes or adidas

I have both and they both have good grip; never slip and it's easy to reposition your foot on the pedal if needed
    avoid Manitou forks at all costs... they have no souls...

Custom User Title
    I'll also throw in with the Shimano AM40s. I haven't ridden them much but I can tell you that they stick like stink on a skunk and are extremely well made and comfy. At a pricepoint a bit below the 5.10s and the fact that they have a modular sole to increase stiffness I can wholeheartedly recommend them considering how well they hold on to the pedal.
    Selling my Sovereign. Check it out
    !!!

Check out my blahg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr13zehn
    I'll also throw in with the Shimano AM40s. I haven't ridden them much but I can tell you that they stick like stink on a skunk and are extremely well made and comfy. At a pricepoint a bit below the 5.10s and the fact that they have a modular sole to increase stiffness I can wholeheartedly recommend them considering how well they hold on to the pedal.

I wore down the AM40 in 3 months...as in "not ridable". 510 still going strong. Cool looking shoe tho'

Custom User Title
    Seems strange since Vibram soles are known for being extremely tough.
    Selling my Sovereign. Check it out
    !!!

Check out my blahg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I got the Marzocchi version of 5Tens. Five10 makes these for Marzocchi. The tung is not sewn on one side like the 5Tens and the tung is not as thick either. I love mine. IF you get these the pedals I are the Syncros mentals with the short pins in them. Excellent grip but nothing like the grip of the long pins.
    Your feet can't move with those on the pedal.
    Get Marzocchi's

...idios...
    [The 5.10s] don't seem like anything special except for the soles.
    That's pretty much the point.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Property Inspections
    I'm using some DCs now and they are okay...just I'm not quite happy so I just ordered the 5.10 Freerider shoes. They should stick really well to my Straitline Components platforms...

PS- Orchid are designed to be bmx shoes...and I looked at Vans but i find them to be so damn ugly...sorry

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just got a pair of Basics for my first pair of 5.10's and I gotta say, that's some sticky sole. I would agree that they are probably a 1/2 size too big. I ALWAYS wear a 13 and these have me wondering if I coulda got away with 12's.

They are ugly as heck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well here's my FiveTen short story.

Ordered the Impacts - besides being a little small (I would order 1/2 size bigger if I order again) they sure are heavy and robust. Stiff sole and what looks like great protection. I was going to use these for Trail Riding so I thought a little heavy for that and sent them back.

Ordered Freeriders - not much to these shoes. Sole not stiff enough. I did order these 1/2 size bigger then what I normally wear and they fit good - but I sent them back. Need more sole support.

Ordered the Shimano AM40s - very nice shoe. As in any Shimano I ordered one Euro size bigger then what I normally wear. But with these I should have ordered two Euro sizes bigger though I am keeping these. They are a tiny bit snug for my wide feet but this is a very nice shoe. Still on a no bike restriction until rotator cuff surgery heals up but can't wait to try these out though my buds will sure give me hell about them.....kind of a cross between a golf shoe and a bowling shoe.....If these shoes don't last I will be ordering the Impacts and dealing with the extra weight.

sketchiness abounds...
    (IMHO, of course...)

I've found that stiffer-soled skate shoes work better for riding flats than the Vans & the Lakai chukkas I had. They put the pedal power down better and cause much less fatigue on longer rides and on bumpier terrain. That being said, the overdone pillow-style padding in most sturdy skate shoes (my Etnies, for example) is less than comfortable.

I finally found a shoe that has everything I like and more! They are called the Adidas Super Skate ST.

Be aware that Adidas has other shoes that they call the Super Skate that are lacking the "GeoFit" sculpted, firmer padding that is segmented to wrap around your foot better while leaving small gaps for some breathability. The ST (Super Tough?) version is also made out of an extremely tough material that reminds me of rawhide (dark green portion of the pictured shoe). It's very tear and abrasion resistant. I really can't even tell if it's leather and it has a matt, "sanded" look to it. The tan portion is suede leather. The traditional herringbone sole design is made out of black, long-wearing (yet sticky) rubber.

I tend to tear up the inside lining of the heel on my shoes (bad callouses), but that's not happening with these at all. They seem to be good about not getting stinky, too. OK, the bad news... Adidas seems to have discontinued them, but I've found various places selling them for anywhere from $35-$75 depending on size & color. I have the pictured color, very outdoorsy-looking. It's hard to tell from images online, but some of the colors may use more suede leather or even hemp for their uppers,but as long as they are the ST version they should have the same sole and padding design. Even though mine look like they'll last a long time, I've seen nothing as good at the skate shops or from any of the major shoe mfg., so I'm buying another pair online while I still can.

BTW- I prefer a wider toe box (slight case of the dreaded ingrown toenails) and these are very comfortable. No aggravation from smashed together toes cutting short my rides...

I'm not at the point yet where I'll spend $100 for shoes that I'm going to get muddy...

Last edited by stratosrally; 01-20-2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added image

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    duffs are a bmx shoe and work really well for me, but any skate shoe works really well, vans, vox, etnies, es , emerica, go to any skate shop and get a pair off of the closeout rack. I do find that skate shoes that have more cushion, i.e. new school shoe are more comfortable, old school shoes like classic vans tend to not give enough support after a couple hours xc riding. $.02

mtbr member
    vans gravel model. shimano am40s. both nice.

mtbr member
    I wear Globe Fusion skate shoes, they stick great on my Kore or Straitline pedals, and its got a hidden lacing option.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosrally
    (IMHO, of course...)

I've found that stiffer-soled skate shoes work better for riding flats than the Vans & the Lakai chukkas I had. They put the pedal power down better and cause much less fatigue on longer rides and on bumpier terrain. That being said, the overdone pillow-style padding in most sturdy skate shoes (my Etnies, for example) is less than comfortable.

I finally found a shoe that has everything I like and more! They are called the Adidas Super Skate ST.

Be aware that Adidas has other shoes that they call the Super Skate that are lacking the "GeoFit" sculpted, firmer padding that is segmented to wrap around your foot better while leaving small gaps for some breathability. The ST (Super Tough?) version is also made out of an extremely tough material that reminds me of rawhide (dark green portion of the pictured shoe). It's very tear and abrasion resistant. I really can't even tell if it's leather and it has a matt, "sanded" look to it. The tan portion is suede leather. The traditional herringbone sole design is made out of black, long-wearing (yet sticky) rubber.

I tend to tear up the inside lining of the heel on my shoes (bad callouses), but that's not happening with these at all. They seem to be good about not getting stinky, too. OK, the bad news... Adidas seems to have discontinued them, but I've found various places selling them for anywhere from $35-$75 depending on size & color. I have the pictured color, very outdoorsy-looking. It's hard to tell from images online, but some of the colors may use more suede leather or even hemp for their uppers,but as long as they are the ST version they should have the same sole and padding design. Even though mine look like they'll last a long time, I've seen nothing as good at the skate shops or from any of the major shoe mfg., so I'm buying another pair online while I still can.

BTW- I prefer a wider toe box (slight case of the dreaded ingrown toenails) and these are very comfortable. No aggravation from smashed together toes cutting short my rides...

I'm not at the point yet where I'll spend $100 for shoes that I'm going to get muddy...

That's funny. I'm not at the point yet where I'll spend $100 for shoes that I'm NOT going to get muddy.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here's some cheaper alternatives to ponder on...

Marzocchi Bomber shoe (OEM from 5.10 I think)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...mber+Shoe.aspx

Shimano MP66W
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...p66w+Shoe.aspx

sketchiness abounds...
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    That's funny. I'm not at the point yet where I'll spend $100 for shoes that I'm NOT going to get muddy.
    My response - I'm also not at the point yet where I'll spend $100 for shoes that I can't have resoled.

My reason for mentioning this - I love my Fluevogs, best off-bike only shoes I've ever worn. Not cheap, though - but I got most of mine for half off, bringing them back under $100!

Members who have read this thread: 0