Flat pedal specific shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Flat pedal specific shoes

So for the first time I'm in the market for some proper mtb shoes. I've been using standard skate shoes up till now but feel I want to invest in something that will be better, grips more, and lasts longer.

I tried on a pair of size 11 510 Freeriders and they were nice. Comfy. Also tried a pair of specialized 2fo but they were super narrow and couldn't get my foot in.

I know the 510s have good reviews but is there any flat pedal specific shoes that people would recommend?

Also I have wide feet so that is also a consideration.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Actually mountain bike specific arent required by any means. For flats they arent actually near as common as skater shoes

Good skater shoes. DCs are popular. I have a pair of vans canvas that work awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Look at some Adidas shoes with stealth rubber. They are more apt to go on sale so you can get a better deal. Also some of the rock climbing shoes have a firmer mid sole which is easier on your feet especially if you mash the pedals.

The gum sole skate shoes can provide decent grip but they tend to flex so it can cause discomfort. However they are cheap so they may suffice. The uppers tend to be pretty thin or soft so they also offer less protection to the top of your foot too.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Look at some Adidas shoes with stealth rubber. They are more apt to go on sale so you can get a better deal. Also some of the rock climbing shoes have a firmer mid sole which is easier on your feet especially if you mash the pedals.

The gum sole skate shoes can provide decent grip but they tend to flex so it can cause discomfort. However they are cheap so they may suffice. The uppers tend to be pretty thin or soft so they also offer less protection to the top of your foot too.
    As good as the adidas Terrex shoes are, they don't match the grip/stiffness of the Freerider Pros.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    As good as the adidas Terrex shoes are, they don't match the grip/stiffness of the Freerider Pros.
    It's hard to beat a good set of Five Tens on flats.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Definitely not required but one good thing about mtb specific shoes is the toe box usually has more armor, which is hard to find in a trail runner or skate shoe.

Hard top beat these for $60 if they have your size..

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shoes/2fo-flat/105648

Just FYI they run really small, I usually wear 13 but ended up going with 14. Really happy overall, great summer shoe.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of 5.10's. Nice shoes. Sizing is exact. Stiff, and they hook up with my Chesters really well. The downside is that when the come off the pedal, they're harder to get back on.

mtbr member
    I tried all the various sneakers and hikers I had and they all would slip of my Saints when on the trail. I tried to find the Adidas with the Stealth sole locally, but wasn't able to. I tried on a pair of 5-10's at REI and they were comfy, but didn't have my size in the color and style I wanted. I ended up ordering a pair online from 5-10 to get what I wanted. They do grip the pedals nicely and my feet didn't slip off the pedals at all. That saves on the wear and tear to lower legs. I like 'em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "To be the man you gotta beat the man”

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looking through this list (http://athleteaudit.com/best-mountain-bike-shoes), you could also take a look at the 5.10 VXi or Freerider Contact, although the Freerider Pros just came out and look amaazzing.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by savannahayes View Post
    Looking through this list (Best Mountain Bike Shoes - Flat Pedal and Clipless Shoes — Athlete Audit), you could also take a look at the 5.10 VXi or Freerider Contact, although the Freerider Pros just came out and look amaazzing.
    Contacts are good, but the Pros are even better. Stiffer, more traction, and more durable.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Contacts are good, but the Pros are even better. Stiffer, more traction, and more durable.
    Agreed. I'm on Contacts this season, and they are good enough (and way better than the regular Freeriders). But my next pair will be Pros.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I've had many different shoes over the years, Five Ten Impacts, Teva Links, Specialized 2FO. They were all good shoes but for me the Five Ten Freerider Pro Shoe feel like a notch above them all. Five Ten Freerider Pro Shoe - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Flat Pedal Shoes - Vital MTB

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I've had many different shoes over the years, Five Ten Impacts, Teva Links, Specialized 2FO. They were all good shoes but for me the Five Ten Freerider Pro Shoe feel like a notch above them all. Five Ten Freerider Pro Shoe - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Flat Pedal Shoes - Vital MTB
    How is the durability on these? I have been on my Freeride VXi for only this season and I can already see a couple spots where the rubber outsole is starting to delaminate from the canvas shell. Nothing bad yet but they may only last me another season, two max. The big factor for me is that I really dont want to spend $150 on shoes if they are only going to last a few seasons, that is somewhat pointless to me when you can get shoes that will grip close to as well (Pro vs. Non Pro Freeriders) for possibly half the price.

Ride Everything
    Freerider Pros have been on the market for less than one season, but talking with the folks at 5.10, improved durability was one of the goals for the Freerider Pro.

FWIW, my Contacts lasted two seasons before the sole began to delaminate. The sole showed significant wear, but I never wore through to the midsole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    How is the durability on these? I have been on my Freeride VXi for only this season and I can already see a couple spots where the rubber outsole is starting to delaminate from the canvas shell. Nothing bad yet but they may only last me another season, two max. The big factor for me is that I really dont want to spend $150 on shoes if they are only going to last a few seasons, that is somewhat pointless to me when you can get shoes that will grip close to as well (Pro vs. Non Pro Freeriders) for possibly half the price.
    I really can't answer to the durability factor being that I've had them for 3 months, but for 3 month old shoes they look great. I average about 110 rides a year so I would expect to get at least 2 years worth from these shoes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I recently went through the same. Wore ecco golf shoes, my favorite running shoes, etc. Now have 5.10 Freerider for $85 delivered on sale. A few of these comments make me consider the Freerider Pro, but I spend most of my time on a road bike or XC bike, and the platform bike seems to do fine with its simple DMR V6 plastic pedals and the Freerider. Maybe if I used flats more the likes of Chester and Freerider Pro would be the choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Zoic has a sale on The Prophet, sizes 10 and up. Ordered a pair to try since it was only $50 with shipping. Grip isn't as good as Five Tens from what I've heard but nothing is...Wanted a pair to wear around town and also can handle the trails and these seem to fit the bill. Love my Five Ten Impacts but it's not a shoe I would wear walking around. I will do a short review when The Prophets arrive.

mtbr member
    I found a pair of Sombrio flat pedal shoes on sale from BackCountry for like $30 last year, they turned out to be non-perforated and don't really breathe that well but they grip like crazy. They had other models that are perforated but didn't have my size at the time.

mtbr member
    I just use standard non-slip shoes that a waiter would use. I've been using that type for like 3 years and they grip fine and don't slide very much at all. I use Deity flats.

At my local shoe store for $30.