Flat MTB Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flat MTB Shoes

Apr 2004

Flat MTB Shoes

STIFF-SOLED, FLAT BOTTOM SHOES FOR PLATFORM PEDALS?

I am buying a 5" suspension bike and will put platform pedals on it, instead of my usual clipless.

I think that my current MTB shoes, with their deep treads, will not work with platform pedals because they will not engage the pins.

So I expect that I must purchase flat-bottomed shoes. But I want the stiff backbone that MTB shoes have because they spread the force across my entire foot. They become really important on four and five hour rides.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a pair of '04 Shimano M038 shoes. They have a flat sole w/ criss cross pattern of grroves about 1/4" thick x 1/4" deep.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Respect Your Trails
    I would go with some style of skate shoes. When I use my platform pedals, I always wear my DC shoes. They have a good, even tread that stick to the pedal pins like glue. Plus they are really supportive and very comfortable.

If you plan on riding more aggresive xc / freeride stuff you don't necessarily want a rigid bottom shoe like a clipless xc shoes. You need to have a little flexibility to absorb impacts rather than a stiff sole for power transfer. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_tango
    STIFF-SOLED, FLAT BOTTOM SHOES FOR PLATFORM PEDALS?

I am buying a 5" suspension bike and will put platform pedals on it, instead of my usual clipless.

I think that my current MTB shoes, with their deep treads, will not work with platform pedals because they will not engage the pins.

So I expect that I must purchase flat-bottomed shoes. But I want the stiff backbone that MTB shoes have because they spread the force across my entire foot. They become really important on four and five hour rides.

Suggestions?

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    The few times I rode my 575 with platforms I wore an old pair of Globe skate shoes. These don't fit your requirements though. Look at SixSixOne, who makes several different models, Oakley, or FiveTen. You will more likely finding SixSixOne's at an LBS than Oakley or FiveTen.

Personally I hate riding with platforms under any condition. If you have skate shoes I would use those to see if you like riding your new bike with platforms, especially if you normally ride with clips. My feet kept coming of the pedals in technical situations, and I hated the loss of power on climbs. Then again I don't jump so take this into consideration.

I also don't like skate shoes because if you have to do any hike-a-bike or frequent river crossings skate shoes are like walking on ice. They have no traction.

Apr 2004

Thanks for the informative replies and opinions ...

... just what I wanted.

I will check out the Shimano M038 and SixSixOne. Are the DC shoes a brand of skate shoe?

I have been concerned about giving up traction that XC clipin shoes give me. Here in the Mid-Atlantic states, we have a lot of mud, and one of my favorite trails has from two to four river crossings, depending on which route you take.

By using platform pedals, I'm following a lot of suggestions to do so ... not that I stay in the main stream very often. My thoughts are, though, that this will be my first full-suspension bike, and my skills are not where I want them. I am hoping the platforms will give me a bit more confidence. If that doesn't happen, I always have the Shimano clipless on my hardtail that I can spin off.

Oh yeah ... about soft vs. stiff-soled shoes, initially my jumps will be limited until I build up skill and confidence doing them. And once I'm in reasonable shape, when I ride alone I go out for four to five hour trips. My one-time personal best was 10 hours ... but I ran out of food and water, and bonked like I have never done. Called my girlfriend to come fetch me with her truck before I could get back to the trail head. My point is this, I like the support of a XC shoe for any ride longer than an hour. The pain in the balls of my feet gets pretty hot by the end of the second hour.
    Last edited by dan_tango; 04-23-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Respect Your Trails
    I would honestly not put money into platform pedals and shoes if your already used to using clipless pedals on your hardtail. (Just my opinion of course) Going from a hardtail to FS is going to be different for sure, but if you feel comfortable using clipless pedals, that skill isn't going to disapear just because your riding a different style bike.

If your planning on riding the distances and times that you wrote about, with platform pedals, you may be miserable. I would usually just ride shorter, more techincal freeride type trails in PA where platform pedals were ideal. I still enjoy that style of riding, but also like putting some miles in, and being able to climb steeper trails.

Now I use clipless pedals, but use platform style clipless pedals.(Crank Brothers Mallet C) And I have a pair of Addidas shoes that have a decent supportive sole, and hiking shoe tread, so it is the best of both worlds. Really comfortable and able to clip in for better power transfer. Plus for the really technical sections or for jumps and drops I can clip out and use the pedals just as a platform pedal.

Members who have read this thread: 0