flashy shoes or normal shoes for MTB?- Mtbr.com
    Save Jesus

flashy shoes or normal shoes for MTB?

Hello people,

I am looking to replace my old set of SPD shoes. The two shoes I'm deciding between are the Performance house brand CM-300, or the Cannondale Roam. Both shoes are reasonably comfortable. The disadvantage of the CM-300 is that it looks like some flashy road bike shoe, with the 3 velcro straps, and bits of red highlights. I don't think it looks that bad, but then again, I just got some baggy MTB shorts coz I'm starting to think the traditional lycra shorts look dorky. The bottom of the shoe also looks like a road bike shoe, except they added some rubber nubs here and there. I wonder if it will have decent traction when I am walking bits of the trail. The advantages are that the velcro straps make adjusting the shoe very easy, and that the shoe is well ventilated. (I have sweaty feet). As for the Cannondale, the main disadvantages are that it seems a little heavier, and doesn't seem as well ventilated. I also spend 99% of my time on the bike, so maybe I won't care what the shoe looks like. My bike is kind of expensive, so I don't think I will leave the bike and go walking around in public that much with these shoes.

So what do you guys think? Should I get the dorky looking purpose-built shoe, or the normal looking one? I don't do racing or anything, just recreational puttering around on the trails.

mtbr member

dorky!

I hate to push peeformance. Well ventilated sounds good to me.
    Hey, if you really don't care what they look like you could pretend that you are sponsored by some other company and paint em black with a white swoosh or three white stripes.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Who cares what they look like??? As long as they are comfy, good power transfer and will last a couple of seasons (aka: quality for the buck). Get the ones that feel the best.

Personally I prefer velcro and/or buckles to laces - less entanglements with nature
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Save Jesus
    What are your experiences with the traction on these "road shoes with nubs thrown on as an afterthought" shoes? I'm kind of worried that I won't be able to climb up a loose, sandy incline, or might slip when walking over rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

try 'em on

You do know they won't stay flashy? That said, I'd go with comfort and durability.

I've got a pair of Alpinestars shoes that I've had for at least 5 years. They are leather, or maybe a synthetic, with velcro straps over the laces. Great shoes! Stiff, comfortable, good traction if I have to walk the bike. The velcro straps keep laces out of the chain rings.

SRR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    Hello people,

I am looking to replace my old set of SPD shoes. The two shoes I'm deciding between are the Performance house brand CM-300, or the Cannondale Roam. Both shoes are reasonably comfortable. The disadvantage of the CM-300 is that it looks like some flashy road bike shoe, with the 3 velcro straps, and bits of red highlights. I don't think it looks that bad, but then again, I just got some baggy MTB shorts coz I'm starting to think the traditional lycra shorts look dorky. The bottom of the shoe also looks like a road bike shoe, except they added some rubber nubs here and there. I wonder if it will have decent traction when I am walking bits of the trail. The advantages are that the velcro straps make adjusting the shoe very easy, and that the shoe is well ventilated. (I have sweaty feet). As for the Cannondale, the main disadvantages are that it seems a little heavier, and doesn't seem as well ventilated. I also spend 99% of my time on the bike, so maybe I won't care what the shoe looks like. My bike is kind of expensive, so I don't think I will leave the bike and go walking around in public that much with these shoes.

So what do you guys think? Should I get the dorky looking purpose-built shoe, or the normal looking one? I don't do racing or anything, just recreational puttering around on the trails.
    I've worn out so many pairs of (mtb) shoes over the last 14 years that I want to recommend something a little different here, mainly because I'm so tickled with the pair I got -- so tickled that I ordered a second pair for the shelf, against the day I may longer be able to find them. They are Lake MX 255's, designed for epic backcountry riding, which is mostly what I do.

They don't have any mesh, so they DON'T ventilate all the well, if that really is a big issue. And they use laces -- no velcro or buckles.

BUT, they feature near 3/4 tops, a tough toe box (rare), and actual Vibram soles, like any good hiking boot -- that is, you can clamber up and along rocks, roots, and logs without the sense of paranoia many other high-end shoes produce. They're efficient, light, tough -- COMFORTABLE -- and attractive (understated). These are the kind of shoes you could walk around in, yet no one would suspect they were biking shoes (nor can you tell yourself until you actually get on the bike and clip in), YET they were intended for serious alpine hiking/biking and abuse, and there's nothing casual about their design at all. They leave nothing to be desired against some of the $300 shoes I've owned, yet promise to last a lot longer!

I was a little skeptical about the laces but discovered it's not an issue at all. Untie the knot, unlace the top two hooks and they slide off/on no problem -- no need to adjust anything once you've fitted them the first time.

Anyway, if you're interested, I got mine for $99 at airbom.com ($150-plus most everywhere else). (Everybody) Give 'em a look and check out some reviews. Shoes are a minor sideline for most vendors/manufacturers, so the GOOD ones can disappear real quick for no apparent reason. And these Lakes are among the best I've ever seen!

http://store.airbomb.com/Items.asp?a...9&cc=296-T-219

Jan 2004
    I think " why would you possibly care?" Whatever is most comfortable.

those are Rollercams...
    Get the black ones, all cycling shoes should be black.

SRR,

Those Lakes look mighty well designed and built. I wish I was in the market for a new pair of shoes...like that ever stopped me.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Save Jesus
    I ended up getting the "normal" shoes, and so far I am pretty happy with them. A couple of good points are:

On my way to the trails, I walked into a grocery store to buy water, and nobody looked at me funny.

Since I am a wuss, I spent a lot of time walking on the trails. The Cannondale Roam shoes are pretty comfortable, and feel like halfway between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. They have pretty good grip, and a reasonable amount of flex near the toe, so that when you are pushing your bike uphill, the shoes don't pop out at the heels.

Since these shoes have normal treads on the bottom, you can stand on your SPD's not clipped in and not slip around.

I might still buy the flashy shoes someday for epic rides in warm weather, or when I ride on the road.

Members who have read this thread: 0