Are fiveten shoes warm enough for moderate winter riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are fiveten shoes warm enough for moderate winter riding?

Looking to get a pair of good shoes for my platform pedals and was wondering if the fiveten shoes would suffice around 20~30deg Fahrenheit or should I go with something like the giro alpineduro? Not really a fan.of high boots but am open to suggestions!

since 4/10/2009
    IMO, no. At least, not the regular versions. Maybe the "Elements" waterproof versions would be better, but I haven't tried those. I'm shopping around for a lightly insulated winter boot/shoe of some sort to use for winter riding. Regular hiking boots work okay for me if I can fit a warm sock inside without restricting my blood flow, but once I start getting in the neighborhood of 20F, the pedals start to pull enough heat away from my feet, that after about 2hrs, my feet are getting cold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you get five tens big enough you can fit thicker socks and it might be ok, but then you run the risk of them being too big the rest of the year.
    I picked up a pair of Vasque Arrowhead boots for winter riding and love them. I adjust wool sock thickness based on the temps. They are a slimmer profile insulated boot, waterproof, and work very well with flats.
    Highly recommended them.

mtbr member
    I use the Impact mids for the winter, they work well. Last night it was low 20s with a good wind, I wore a thin wool sock with an ankle height sock over that. No issues

mtbr member
    Yes, the Elements version are good with a decent wool sock.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Dusting Trails
    I also use wool socks on very cold days with my 5/10s - but I haven't tried them in the snow. I loosen the laces a little to accommodate the thicker wool socks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Are you looking for a winter shoe or more of a four-season shoe?

My uninsulated Sidis with lots of mesh are enough down to somewhere in the 20s if I wear warm wool socks and gore-tex oversocks. It's annoying, I suppose, but they're also comfortable in the summer when it's 80 degrees out if I wear them with a lightweight sock. Showers Pass is doing a waterproof wool sock lately that looks kind of interesting too.

For me, insulating a shoe is overkill unless I'm doing a job that involves standing in the snow. Pretty awesome when I was working for a ski area. But a waterproof shoe can be a real convenience in temperatures as high as the forties if it's wet - just add warm sock, no extra liner necessary. But IME, even the best waterproof stuff doesn't breathe well enough to wear through the summer.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've worn a Spitfire during winter rides the last 3 years. Granted, only if there's little to no snow on the ground. Have used them down to about 8 degrees F, with a wool sock first and a thin summer sock over that. Haven't had too many problems with that setup. If snow's deep enough, I'll just a winter hiking boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The FreeRider Danny MacAskills were the best wet and cold bike shoeshine owned. They are discontinued and furthermore I'm from Texas somewhat do I know?

mtbr member
    Rode Impact highs for 2 years in the winter and snow with good results. Has to be into the single digits to be a problem keeping warm. I used to wear thick socks when it got real cold.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    I wear the Five Ten Diddie Schneider, for colder days, these shoes are there "Mountain trail work shoe" but they have zero ventilation so my feet stay warm, best part is there like 40 bucks.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by riverat View Post
    Looking to get a pair of good shoes for my platform pedals and was wondering if the fiveten shoes would suffice around 20~30deg Fahrenheit or should I go with something like the giro alpineduro? Not really a fan.of high boots but am open to suggestions!
    Impacts are pretty warm when combined with wool socks. When they get wet they stay wet for a long time. just started wearing goretex oversocks between the wool socks and shoes. They keep my feet nice and warm and dry.

9 lives
    5-10's like many shoes provide poor traction in winter conditions. The soles aren't as grippy. If you have to get off your bike and hike up or along a icy/snowy/frozen sections, you'll slide. Additionally, my 5-10 don't provide the same grip on the pedals as they do in milder weather. I switch to warm light weight boots during the winter riding season
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I run Impact High tops with sealskin socks and for me they are good to -10 C (14 F) at which point I switch to Vasque Arrowheads. No problem with grip on decent pedals(DMR Vaults are great and clear snow well) and hike a bikes on ice.
    Results will vary depending on your circulation etc, I tend to stay pretty warm at cold temps personally and have ridden in temps as cold as -40 C/F...