FiveTen impact shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

FiveTen impact shoes

Looking to pick up a par of 5/10's and have a few questions. Though I would askin in this forum becuase I imagine there are more riders hear using them then in other forums.

First, how true to size are 5/10's? I take a size 9.5 to 10.0 US in most sneaker, yet take a 9.0 in my Van's skate shoes that I am currently using.

I have also noticed that 5/10 has a whole line of riding shoes, do they all use the same rubber for the soles, are there any performace differences? I want as much grip as possible.

Thanks
    Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    there are a few threads out there answering ur quesitons.

but ya, sizing is spot on.

the differences in rubber are only slight. the Freerider and Ba5ic have a "non-marking" rubber so you dont scuff up floors and stuff. more for if you also want an everyday shoe. the Karver, Impact and Sam Hill's all use the same Stealth rubber. only difference is the actual shoe. ...there's more descriptive info on the website.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I wear a 9.5 in athletic shoes so I got my new 5.10s I got the 9.5 as well. Fits perfectly. From what I've heard they generally run pretty true.

It's the same rubber for all the shoes... I know some (like the Freeriders) have a different tread pattern. Not really sure if that makes much of a difference or not. I think the main difference is in the look and how much of a riding shoe they are or if they compromise some for being better for all around. Like I know the Freerider's don't have as stiff of a sole and they look like normal shoes so you can wear them around. Better for urban riding/DJs, etc. The Impacts have a stiffer sole and a higher top for more ankle protection -- better for riding, less good for walking.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    They run true when new but they pack out, sometimes a full size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I normally wear a 11 and i tried on a 11 and 10.5 today and the 10.5 fit better. I'd get a half size smaller just to be safe, because of the wear.

Pivotal figure
    The Freeriders use a different tread pattern and aren't as thick as the Impacts (the sole) so they don't have as much cushion. I use mine at the BMX track and doing urban, jumping stuff but use the Impacts for regular trail rides and DH. FR's are also super comfy as everyday shoes
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

check your six
    I usually wear 10.5 to 11 in most shoes. I picked up a pair of the 5.10's in 11 and the fit good. Those shoes are something else! The most grippy shoe I have ever used. I do not like to wear them with my Stratlines though. It feels like I am cliped in.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Now with More Wood
    They run true to size in my experience, and they have freakin awesome grip! (Speaking about the Impacts which are all I've used...).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm curious about the Freeride skate-type shoe. I wear size 11 in hiking boots/work boots but size 12 in Vans to have a bit more toeroom & maybe a little more width depending on model. I think I'll stick to Vans as they're cheaper & I can get them locally but the grip of the 5.10 everyone talks about is certainly tempting.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks
    I'm curious about the Freeride skate-type shoe. I wear size 11 in hiking boots/work boots but size 12 in Vans to have a bit more toeroom & maybe a little more width depending on model. I think I'll stick to Vans as they're cheaper & I can get them locally but the grip of the 5.10 everyone talks about is certainly tempting.

I wore Vans forever. You really can't beat the price of some ugly Vans at the Discount Shoe Warehouse (here in the u.s). You can pick up three or four pairs for about $100. Now some are not the best looking, but what can you do about style.

BUT, I decided to give the 5.10's a try. Let me tell you, I will never go back to skete shoes again. The 5.10's really are awesome.

Oh... I have the Rennie mid-tops (which are ugly too, but got them for $70 new)
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I wore Vans forever. You really can't beat the price of some ugly Vans at the Discount Shoe Warehouse (here in the u.s). You can pick up three or four pairs for about $100. Now some are not the best looking, but what can you do about style.

BUT, I decided to give the 5.10's a try. Let me tell you, I will never go back to skete shoes again. The 5.10's really are awesome.

Oh... I have the Rennie mid-tops (which are ugly too, but got them for $70 new)
    I picked up a pair of the Rennie's this week from BackCountryOutlet.com for $68. They arrived yesterday and I was able to test them out on my Wed. night ride. These things are awsome! I could not belive how well they grip. I will also never go back to skate shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0