• 01-24-2019
    parquake
    FiveTen Freerider - hard and plasticcy heel
    I had to let my pair of FiveTen Freerider go due to the clack-clack nature when striking the heel on the ground (hard surfaces) when walking in them.
    Everyone seems to be talking about how walkable they are, and they are very comfy front and mid foot (especially with my Donald Duck shaped feet). But the heel part is killing me.
    Is that normal for the Freeriders shoes. Should I be getting some other ones?
  • 01-24-2019
    noapathy
    Been shopping on Aliexpress or something? I've had several pairs of Five Tens and none of them had a hard sole.
  • 01-24-2019
    parquake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Been shopping on Aliexpress or something? I've had several pairs of Five Tens and none of them had a hard sole.

Wouldn't blame you for suspecting that ;) Nope, purchased through a reputable European internet store (internetstores GmbH).

So the heel part is 'malleable' on your Freeriders? On the pair I sold they felt almost as hard as an ice hockey puck (exaggerating), and the heel strike part felt like walking in wooden clogs.
  • 01-24-2019
    Mr Pig
    They're soft but the sole is very flat so a bit clumpy to walk on. Once they wear in they'll be a bit better but it's a riding shoe. Having said that, I wear them all the time. They're ok but not ideal for a lot of walking.
  • 01-24-2019
    Gumby_rider
    Mine are quiet. There is nothing hard on the soles. But mines are also not the latest version.
  • 01-24-2019
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parquake View Post
    Is that normal for the Freeriders shoes. Should I be getting some other ones?

Nope not normal. I have owned 6 pairs of Freeriders and they are very comfy to wear and walk in. The soles have never been rock hard. Something was wrong with that pair.
  • 01-24-2019
    noapathy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parquake View Post
    Wouldn't blame you for suspecting that ;) Nope, purchased through a reputable European internet store (internetstores GmbH).

So the heel part is 'malleable' on your Freeriders? On the pair I sold they felt almost as hard as an ice hockey puck (exaggerating), and the heel strike part felt like walking in wooden clogs.

Mr Pig described it well. No curve to the toe or heel and stiffer to help with control on the bike. I'd describe it as tolerable to walk in, giving it a bit of a "wooden" feel compared to a good running shoe. The rubber is definitely not plastic like dress shoes and no sound like you described. I would've sent them back for replacement.
  • 01-24-2019
    mtnbkrmike
    OP - I thought you were going in a different direction with this...

The soles of my new Freeriders are so soft that they literally stick to my hard wood floors.

I got a pair of Freeriders, and Freerider Pros for Christmas. The Pros are relatively silent. But the Freeriders? They sound like they have gum on the soles when I walk on hardwood. And do they squeak!

Hard is not a word I would use to describe them.

Edit: I have been wearing them all evening in my house now. FR on one foot, FR Pro on the other. They are both sticky on the hardwood, with the FR Pro a little less so. Apart from some cosmetic differences, they look like they have the same sole. Sticky? Yes. Hard? No. I love them both.
  • 01-25-2019
    parquake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    The soles of my new Freeriders are so soft that they literally stick to my hard wood floors.

More and more getting the feeling that I had a dodgy set. Hmm.

My replacement shoes are the Shimano ME7 Enduro MTB Shoes which are ok, but my toes turn into small ice taps in them in the winter. If I can find some FiveTen EPS in my size I'll try my 2nd luck w/them.
  • 01-25-2019
    natas1321
    Does not sound normal, have owed several pairs and the soles have been firm but not hard and make no noticable noise when walking about.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
  • 01-26-2019
    Mr Pig
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    Does not sound normal, have owed several pairs and the soles have been firm but not hard and make no noticeable noise when walking about.

I don't know, I still think it might be. The sole may be soft but the rubber is thick at the heel and the sole is very flat with a very square edge at the back. Mine make more noise than other trainers when I walk. It may depend on how you walk but they are definitely not like typical trainers. The sole is wide and clumpy to walk on.

Like I said, they are not designed for walking. They are specifically designed for riding a bike and are compromised as walking shoes. I find them comfortable to wear padding about, I wear them all the time, but if I was regularly walking for any distance I'd be wearing something else.

As a riding shoe, they are brilliant. I wouldn't buy a worse riding shoe just so that I made less noise when I walk. Seems to defeat the purpose somewhat to me.