Five Tens - love the soles, donít love the shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbrer

Five Tens - love the soles, donít love the shoes

Iíve been using the Five Ten Freeride for a couple years. I like the sticky soles, but donít care for the boxy, skate-shoe uppers.

Has anyone tried other Five Tens, like the Approach Tennie, Camp Four, or other 5-10 shoe?

For perspective, I used to ride in Sidi Dominators, and I wear light hikers as daily casual wear.

I would love a sticky rubber smooth soled Camp Four....

Five Ten | Camp Four Leather Hiking Shoe
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Have you had a look at the Adidas Crosstrail SL? More of a trainer look with the same rubber as your Freerides

mtbrer
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Have you had a look at the Adidas Crosstrail SL? More of a trainer look with the same rubber as your Freerides
    I have not. Iíll check them out. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Iíve been using the Five Ten Freeride for a couple years. I like the sticky soles, but donít care for the boxy, skate-shoe uppers.

Has anyone tried other Five Tens, like the Approach Tennie, Camp Four, or other 5-10 shoe?

For perspective, I used to ride in Sidi Dominators, and I wear light hikers as daily casual wear.

I would love a sticky rubber smooth soled Camp Four....

Five Ten | Camp Four Leather Hiking Shoe
    I use the Guide Tennie as a MTB shoe as well as for actual climbing and approach. It is a bit homely, but has served very well. The sole is the same type of rubber as the riding shoes, and flat, but not quite as wide as the MTB specific shoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    These are a bit hard to find tho. Any reliable online sellers that have these in stock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    These are a bit hard to find tho. Any reliable online sellers that have these in stock?
    Adidasoutdoor.com

Bought mine directly through them. Free returns I believe if they don't fit. I only go by EU sizing since American sizing is inconsistent and my Trail Cross fits great. They look like regular trail shoes, not the skater boy look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My next shoe is going to be the Ion Raid Amp. Looks like it's actually stiff from the start and has built in protection which is nice. My 5/10's didn't last two seasons (short New England seasons) and needed superfeet insoles to be stiff enough for long rides.

mtbr member
    I used my Guide Tennies for a while and quite liked them.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbrer
    Thanks guys.
    I ordered a couple pair of guide tennis from Sierra Trading Post. Good price and great return policy.
    --Reamer

9 lives
    Here's more Five Ten love.

Five Ten | Freerider EPS High Men's MTB Shoe - Auburn

FREERIDER EPS HIGH

They are probably not as warm as my snowshoe boots which I use for winter riding but these are insulated and warmer than the freerider pros (which I current wear)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Adidasoutdoor.com

Bought mine directly through them. Free returns I believe if they don't fit. I only go by EU sizing since American sizing is inconsistent and my Trail Cross fits great. They look like regular trail shoes, not the skater boy look.
    I have not found EU sizing any more reliable or steadfast than American sizing. I actually bought a Specialized and Scott mtb shoe last month, both 47, and the Specialized was 13 US, Scott 12.5US, and the Scott was tighter fit. This was in opposition to a size conversion chart that I'd studied previously, which really peeved ke off.

It's a crap shoot.

Deviant
    Riding flat pedals I wear Salomon Speedcross 3's. They're not a MTB shoe but a dedicated off-road running shoe. Off the bike they're incredible. Big soft lugs with great traction on virtually anything and they're likely one of the lightest shoes on the planet. On the bike they're acceptable (to me) riding several hours of tight techie stuff. If I do a lot of climbing my feet may be slightly sore the next day but not horribly so. I love these things. The Speedcross 4's have been released now but I don't know the difference.
    https://www.salomon.com/us/product/speedcross-4.html

mtbr member
    I tried 5.10 approach shoes. They didn't work well. The rubber was much harder than the bike shoe soles and did not grip well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a set of Guide Tennies. They very comfy for all day and fit nicely.

mtbrer
    I have the guide tennis as well. I feel they actually stick better than my 5.10 bike shoes. The sole is a little thicker which necessitated raising the seat a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer