Five Ten Soles...did yours wear this quickly?- Mtbr.com
    I Ride Bikes

Five Ten Soles...did yours wear this quickly?

So I picked up a pair of Five Ten Minnaar's about 2 months ago (August 2nd). I've put about 120 miles on them. I noticed that the rubber is coming off of the clip insert (see picture). Anybody else had issues like this with their Five Ten clip soles? I wonder if there is some kind of warranty so I can get a replacement insert. It just seems a little too fast for shoes in this price range. Plus, as they are right now, it is very difficult to ride with. Every now and then the exposed metal catches one of the grubs on my Spank Spike pedals and my feet slip right off.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Every person I know running minnars with flats shows wear in this location. Just a consequence of the metal under the rubber. If you're going to run a platform, just get freeriders to avoid the hassle. You can see if Five Ten will honor a warranty, they are a great company so I imagine they will if you're concerned...
    Keep the rubber side down

I Ride Bikes
    It just so happens that I just picked up a pair of the Five Ten Sam Hill. They were on sale so I figure I buy them now. I wanted to salt them away for awhile, but it looks like I'm going to have to use them now. I have a downhill ride tomorrow and I want to make sure my shoes are reliable. I'm hoping I can get my Minnaar's fixed so I can have two pairs of shoes.

Do you happen to know how long it took your friend's shoes to wear down? It just seems like they shouldn't wear this quickly. 2 months and 120 miles ain't that much trail time.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Horses for courses. You're using a clipless model on flats. There's a thin coating of rubber on the metal plate. Of course it's going to wear quickly.

I Ride Bikes
    Yep, if I knew the design of this shoe beforehand I probably wouldn't have got it. live and learn.

Still 2 months/120 miles is too quick in my opinion. If this was a generic brand and a cheap shoe I probably wouldn't be making a thread about this. But this is Five Ten. A well known, worldwide brand who is known to make top quality shoes for professional athletes in all types of sports. For all that matters, I could have gotten a "lemon". I do hope to contact Five Ten this week and ask them if this is a common problem.

Nickel Havr
    Let us know how you like those Sam Hills...

I've had my eye on them...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've had the Sam Hill shoes for a couple years now. Can't say what they have for mileage but the soles are holding up very well. They have seen plenty of hiking too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Definitely check out the Sam HIlls. I have a pair of Impacts that have a lot of milage on them and they are almost like new. I swap back and fourth between flats and clipless (with different shoes obviously) and they are great. I bought two pairs thinking I might go through them quickly, but the second pair has yet to get any usage past trying them on.

I Ride Bikes
    I used my Sam Hill shoes today. I really like them. They are much lighter than the Minnaars. They also are little more flexible since there is no metal plate in the sole. I used them for a couple of hours today and my feet felt great in them. I'm glad I bought them.

Last edited by Mazukea; 09-30-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: picture added

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah same here

I Ride Bikes
    UPDATE: so I contacted Five Ten this morning. New inserts are being sent out today free of charge. Awesome customer service from an awesome company.

However they never did answer my question about whether or not this is a common problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0