Five Ten shoe choices...- Mtbr.com
    Rodizio
    Jul 2011

Five Ten shoe choices...

so I plan on buying a pair of actual MTB shoes...I have been using old sneakers up to this point...I have been recommended to five ten shoes and the reviews online, etc..seem great...

I also have a habit of slamming my ankle into my chainrings...so I was looking to find a shoe that that can protect against that...I have been looking online but don't think Five ten is in any physical stores to try them on and see what they cover (ankle coverage)...

would it be better to get a pair of Five Ten Lo Impact with some anklebiters? or do the High Impact give good ankle protection...tired of getting ankle stitches and having worn down sneakers, figured I would try and kill two birds with one stone...

I've been looking at the Impact and the Karver...is there a difference between the Karver and the Impact High other than looks?

I do mostly technical trail riding, some changes in elevations...
    Last edited by MysticKJ; 11-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i tend to use hi tops

on an interestig note, 5:10 has been bought by Adidas, so maybe some more style options with 5:10 rubber to come?

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Torwood View Post
    i tend to use hi tops

on an interestig note, 5:10 has been bought by Adidas, so maybe some more style options with 5:10 rubber to come?
    do your hi tops offer enough ankle protection? or do you also use ankle biters with them (if possible)?

meow meow
    personally id wait and see what adidas does, i have pretty high hopes they will put out some good stuff.

mtbr member
    The 5:10 Karver is a mid-top with ankle support, plus Shimano even has the AM45 shot that looks like a clone of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I like to run Impact lows with some sort of ankle brace. Neoprene, elasticized cloth, 661 Race Brace on my bad ankle, all work well in the shoe. Cooler and sleeker than a hi top. FWIW.

Mike

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    I like to run Impact lows with some sort of ankle brace. Neoprene, elasticized cloth, 661 Race Brace on my bad ankle, all work well in the shoe. Cooler and sleeker than a hi top. FWIW.
    I saw that brace online...is it more of a brace (for injured ankles)? or is it sturdy enough to prevent chainrings from gashing the ankle area as well? I don't have any ankle problems, but that brace looks like the kinda protection I would like (if sturdy enough)...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you buy your 5-10's from Zappos, you will get free return shipping if the shoe doesn't fit, I have a pair of Sam Hill's and they are true to size.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

Stand-up philosopher
    get a bash guard and then wear whatever height shoes you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mystic, it's pretty stout multi-layer material with plastic inserts on the sides. I'm sure it would reduce the suture count, but it's a bit of a PITA to put on/take off and the material is not stretchy. I wouldn't be using it if not for the bad ankle.

I like drwx's idea best.

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think with some five tens you wouldn't have to worry about your foot flopping around. I have to really pick my foot up and re-adjust it as the sole is really as sticky as they say. Also, the Sam Hill's look really cool!

You could always look into a bash guard as well.

SamIAm
    main reason i got the 510 rennies was because they were hitops. and then i got and they are really padded and cover well. tongue wrapps from inside onepiece. super duper. should have bought 2 pairs at the same time when i got em they so good.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    decided to buy a bashguard to replace the large chainring...but I'm still going to purchase a pair of shoes....

currently, stuck between the Karver and the Impact Low...the Impact High seems very large, I'm not concerned about weight, just the size in general...

does anyone own a pair of Impact Highs or Karver? what kind of mobility does your ankle have with the raised sides of the shoe? i've never own a pair of high tops of any kind, so I'm gonna take a trip to Sports Authority and see what basketball shoes feel like (not sure how well BBall high tops will mimic MTB high tops) as far as ankle mobility...