Five ten platform shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Five ten platform shoes

I puchased the five ten freeride shoe,its fine but I'm looking for a shoe with a bit more beef.
    I'll be pedeling most of the time so I dont want a full tilt d.h. shoe.
    So between the low impact-2 and the sam hill model which show fall next in line for freeride/a.m. use

Wait for me!
    Impact 2 and the Sam Hill are the same shoe, just different colors. I just picked up a pair of the Sam Hills. I've only worn them around the house so far. They seem super sticky, pretty burly too.

mtbr member
    You will be VERY happy. I run the mid's because I have ankle issues and the mid tops provide killer support. I don't have to ride with a ankle brace anymore. Superior grip compared to other brands too.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of the sam hills (go chainlove) and love them...The soles are pretty burly, but i like it a lot, gives you a piece of mind if you have to bail on some jagged rocks. Also the stiff sole helps a lot for pedaling since there is no flex. Takes a little to get used to, but I dont think I could ever use a different shoe now. Just look for a pair of the Impact on sale somewhere, as whoopwhoop said its the same shoe as 5.10 just different colors

hmmmm
    I love my Impacts, burly but not so heavy that I notice them on my feet. sticky as anything feels almost like i'm clipped in on my 50/50's.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    After 16 years of being clipped in, I finally unclipped on my AM bike. Climbed 4300ft yesterday in some new 510 impacts and am more than pleased. Coming down managed to kick a couple rocks and the foot felt very protected. If I had known they were this grippy and comfortable I would have switched a while ago. I'll save being clipped in for the XC hardtail and my road bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I called five ten today and the rep told me the impact 2 was not as burly as the sam hill model and in between the freeride and the hill in there model line(the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL)
    My freeride model may be going back to jensons as they seem to lack support,but I'm coming off a pair of carbon sloe clipless shoes that were super stiff...all things said I'm leaning towards the impact2
    Last edited by AMCAT; 03-15-2010 at 04:32 PM.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    (the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL)
    easy there cowboy

Pivotal figure
    I have a pair of Freeride's as well as the Hill model. The FR's are much lighter on the sole side so you'll be feeling the hits quite a bit more. I like mine more for jumping or riding the BMX track.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL
    bold statement

Wait for me!
    the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL)
    Haha. How delightfully sexist

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    easy there cowboy
    Just being honest,I said are you sure...and she said...OMG,for sure

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop
    Haha. How delightfully sexist
    I'm glad someone got a laught out of it ...lets face it,being a guy rules

mtbr member
    I found the Marzocchi Bombers for around 75 bucks online. Supposedly the same as the Impacts just with a different name. Stickier and way more durable/beffier than the Nike Air Whistlers I was wearing.

Stand back
    (the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL)
    Nice... Did it stink?

Also, I don't think platform shoe means what the OP thinks it does...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_shoe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Nice... Did it stink?

Also, I don't think platform shoe means what the OP thinks it does...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_shoe

Works as advertised! I got mine with twin tube high/low speed rebound for the big hits when my bike just ain't funk enough to disco down with those 80 footers. Another bonus feature is I can reach the ground with my feet on my Karpiel Apocalypse.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Im gonna say The chick at 5.10 was right. The Sam Hills are different from the normal impact's. The Impacts have a built in wrap around tongue and the sam hills (i think the marzochi's too) have a normal puffy skate shoe tongue. I have some old packed out impacts and the wrap around tongue is pretty low profile, the Sam Hills seem like they would be beefier by having a little more padding. I have the freeriders too, they are sweet. But in the end I dont wear any of them riding, they are too sticky for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spxoo
    Im gonna say The chick at 5.10 was right. The Sam Hills are different from the normal impact's. The Impacts have a built in wrap around tongue and the sam hills (i think the marzochi's too) have a normal puffy skate shoe tongue. I have some old packed out impacts and the wrap around tongue is pretty low profile, the Sam Hills seem like they would be beefier by having a little more padding. I have the freeriders too, they are sweet. But in the end I dont wear any of them riding, they are too sticky for me.
    Yup...I called back a few days later and another rep told me the impact 2 are bit less burly than the hills...I checked out the pictures on there web site and you can see the two shoes have have a differant cut.
    I guess I'm going for the impacts......

Members who have read this thread: 0