Five Ten Impact sizing - trying to run a half size smaller- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Five Ten Impact sizing - trying to run a half size smaller

Do the newer five ten impacts (s1 rubber) pack out considerably over time? I'm debating running a half size smaller so when the shoe breaks in there isn't any slippage. The downside to this approach is stubbed toes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did that once and it was a BAD idea. Size 9.5 Freeriders fit perfectly at rest but after warming up they were uncomfortably tight, like toes-going-numb tightness. I dealt with it for half the season and the shoe never broke in to fit better. Now I just wear a 10 and it's a bit loose at the beginning of a ride. Since the Impact is beefier than the Freerider, I think they would be even worse at stretching out over time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Always recommend going 1/2 or a whole size up...not down. To norton05's point, your feet swell when biking so going a size up will alleviate pain and numbness. For normal shoes, I usually wear a size 12 but I wear a size 13 for my Impact (Karver's) and it's perfect.

If you tie the laces correctly, you won't get slippage while you're pedalling.

Members who have read this thread: 0