Five-Ten Freeriders....are these soles harder than other models?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Five-Ten Freeriders....are these soles harder than other models?

I'm a pretty new rider....

I have a pair of Five-Ten Freeriders and I bought a set of flat pedals with the "spikes" on them.

While this combo is working out pretty well, I can't say that it's a really grippy solution. Since I've read only rave reviews about how well Five-Tens and flat pedals with pins work, I'm thinking that the problem might be that these are Freeriders, which seem to be a bit more of an all-purpose or street shoe than a mountain-biking specific one.

Can anyone tell me whether the rubber compound on the Freeriders is different (harder) than on other Five-Ten mountain-biking specific ones?

The Freeriders show absolutely NO SIGNS of holes from the pins on the pedals, or even any kind of pedal-generated wear. They also slip off the pedals fairly easily--better grip than, say, hiking shoes, but I certainly don't feel "clamped in" or anything close to it.

TIA for any info on this.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the freeriders. They are very very grippy. What flat pedals are you using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    I have the freeriders. They are very very grippy. What flat pedals are you using?
    Wellgo MG-52's:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I contacted Five-Ten and their rep said the "Stealth" compound on the Freeriders is the same as the Impacts, etc. Being a newb, I guess I might have the wrong idea about what is "grippy" and what is not. I was expecting something that would dig into the spikes on the pedal and require at least a little effort to lift off. Not so in my case--they are definitely better than the flat pedals I had previously, but I find my foot slipping if I hit a rough section and I'm not perfectly centered on the pedal.

mtbr member
    I think you might be having a problem with the pedals rather than the shoes. I have Wellgo B-103s that I ordered paired with my freeriders. It feels like I'm riding clipless except on the upstroke(obviously).

good pedals make as much of a difference as good shoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Tim-H what is ur riding style? I'm thinking about that same combo shoe/pedal from pricepoint. How do these shoes/pedal match ur riding? Greatly appreciate it! And to the op, most people that praise 5.10 are, like me, transitioning from clipless to skate shoes and seeing that 5.10 are grippier than skate shoes but not as stuck to pedals as clipless, therefore the praise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    I think you might be having a problem with the pedals rather than the shoes. I have Wellgo B-103s that I ordered paired with my freeriders. It feels like I'm riding clipless except on the upstroke(obviously).

good pedals make as much of a difference as good shoes.
    Well, you could be right--I have no way to compare. I assume that that since both pedals are made by Wellgo, the pins are identical, and I can't easily see that the additional pins (4) would make a huge difference. My shoe size is 11 and the Five-Tens definitely are making contact on all 8 pins on my pedals.

Do the soles of your Freeriders show any marks or signs of wear from the pins? Mine don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    Tim-H what is ur riding style? I'm thinking about that same combo shoe/pedal from pricepoint. How do these shoes/pedal match ur riding? Greatly appreciate it! And to the op, most people that praise 5.10 are, like me, transitioning from clipless to skate shoes and seeing that 5.10 are grippier than skate shoes but not as stuck to pedals as clipless, therefore the praise.
    Maybe I'll run into someone with a different set of pedals and be able to give them a try. I also expected that the pins would tear up (at least a little!) the soles and I'm surprised that I can't see any sign of that either.

But I get your point and thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    Coming from XC with clipless and now doing more "AM"/FR riding with drops jumps tabletops. I've landed off balance quite a few times and the shoes just stuck right in place. I think you'll be happy with the purchase.

Porschefan,

Head down to your LBS and see if they have any nice platforms you can demo, even if just in the parking lot. Also, there are a few small scrapes on some of the dots(doubt they would really even show up in a picture) on the sole but no chunks missing and almost no sign of wear after 3-4 months of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks Tim..I'm also transitioning from xc with clipless. In the past I would land jumps off balance with spd's and sometimes lose control. Platforms do keep me in place. Good luck with transition and thx for the feedback