Five Ten Freerider Insole Replacement?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Five Ten Freerider Insole Replacement?

I've noticed my feet hurting lately on rides. First it was just longer downhills and now on regular trail rides. I've also noticed the bottoms of my Freeriders where they'd sit on the pedal feel very flimsy compared to when I got them (about 10 months ago). They don't look worn but they sure feel like it. I'm debating on whether to replace the insole or just upgrade to the Freerider Pros. Anybody replace the insole in these due to wear? I have my doubts simply replacing the insole would fix the problem but figured I'd ask if anyone else had this issue and had insole recommendations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I had a similar issue with my Freeriders. Balls and arch of my feet would ache on long descents. I read a couple of reviews on different insole inserts and landed on getting the specialized body geometry insoles.

Went to a Spesh dealer and had my foot reading done and walked about the door 5 mins later with a pair of green insoles.

6 months on, still on the same pair of insoles and same shoes minus the aching feeling. For me the $40(CDN) I spent on them was worth it vs $150+(CDN) on a new pair of shoes with the same insoles

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Personally I felt like those insoles sucked from day 1.

Now I'm thinking about getting some insoles.

mtbr member
    Insoles layer on top of what the inside of the shoe so what works for me depends on how the inside of the shoe is shaped. I have some Spec blue insoles that work great in one pair of road shoes but not in another. I pulled the insoles out of a bunch of shoes and started swapping them around to see what felt best in which shoe. I don't think I wound up matching the original insoles with any of the shoes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I replace the insoles on all of my trainers, not just the cycling ones. The stock ones always suck. I use orthopedic ones that angle up towards the outsides. If I don't use them I get ankle pain in my right foot.

Stock insoles are just flat bits of foam. Ripping them out is always a good idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I replace the insoles on all of my trainers, not just the cycling ones. The stock ones always suck. I use orthopedic ones that angle up towards the outsides. If I don't use them I get ankle pain in my right foot.

Stock insoles are just flat bits of foam. Ripping them out is always a good idea.
    What ones do you use?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    What ones do you use?
    It's just generic ones I buy off eBay, from China actually. The specific ones I use are not important because your feet are different. I bought quite a few different insoles before I found ones that worked for me. That's what you should do too. Trial and error is the only way you'll find what works for you.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the Freerider pros. They seem plenty supportive so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's just generic ones I buy off eBay, from China actually. The specific ones I use are not important because your feet are different. I bought quite a few different insoles before I found ones that worked for me. That's what you should do too. Trial and error is the only way you'll find what works for you.
    Yeah, I know. I've been wearing various inserts since my first fiberglass and leather orthotics in the 70s. Just wondering what you were using.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    Just wondering what you were using.
    These: LINK

I have a specific issue with my right ankle. The outside of my ankle gets swollen and sore due to a tendon problem. I've been to a physio, which did help, but the problem kept recurring.

For years I've known that I wore out the outer edge of my shoes faster, so I walk to the outside of my foot. I put two and two together and wondered if there was a connection so I bought these insoles to try. Not had ankle pain since so I guess I was right.

mtbr member
    Riding 9-15 hours a week, I usually wear holes through the soles of my Freeriders in a little over a year. The pins in the RF Chester pedals really do a number on them. I replace the stock insoles with Dr. Scholl's gel insoles. I'm not hiking in them. Not much anyway, so nothing fancy. Less than $10 at Walmart.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I wonder if OP's problem isn't the insoles, but rather the "midsole" or the part of the MTB shoe that is supposed to be stiffer. Most insoles are going to address padding and support issues when the foot is on the ground, rather than bent over a pedal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    I wonder if OP's problem isn't the insoles, but rather the "midsole" or the part of the MTB shoe that is supposed to be stiffer. Most insoles are going to address padding and support issues when the foot is on the ground, rather than bent over a pedal.
    This. Especially if he has low arches. I have flat-ish feet, and my midfoot tends to bulge outwards. On long or particularly rough descents, Freerider VXis and Contacts caused my feet to *kill*. This was both with the stock insoles and SuperFeet blacks. I tried a pair of Shimano GR7s, and they hurt even more (felt a bit narrower). Now I'm using Impact Pros, which are night and day better. Yes they're heavy, but they have a wider base and a thicker sole for more shock absorption. I just rode Santa Cruz this weekend which is full of giant brake bumps this time of year, and the only time I had any foot pain was when I had my laces cranked too tight.