Five ten alternatives?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Five ten alternatives?

What are some competitor options to five ten? Must be as lightweight and grippy soled as five ten... does such an object exist?

since 4/10/2009
    Most shoe manufacturers these days are offering competition. Look at Shimano, Giro, etc. There are others, too.

What exactly are you looking for, though? It sounds like you're looking for a 5.10 shoe that's not a 5.10 shoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It sounds like you're looking for a 5.10 shoe that's not a 5.10 shoe.
    Yes and no, maybe or maybe not? but exactly!or not!

seriously though,,I've looked into other shoes also wanting something cheaper or different(usually cheaper),,and always come back to the 5.10's,,,they work,and their comfy

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah I'm looking for alternatives because 5.10s are so ugly. I don't care how I look when I ride but 5.10s make my 33 year old self look like I'm 14.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    Yeah I'm looking for alternatives because 5.10s are so ugly. I don't care how I look when I ride but 5.10s make my 33 year old self look like I'm 14.
    Quit whining, you whippersnapper. They're fine for my 35yr old self.

FWIW, I wear the Freeriders.

IME, most of the other alternatives are either less fashionable (take the Shimanos for example), or pretty much also look like skate shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just picked up a pair of these. They feel great, but I confess no experience riding with them yet due to winter's arrival. Some other people in the store had them and raved about them, so we shall see.

Five ten alternatives?-2421481001_116525_png_zoom_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The last time I needed new kicks, I realized everything but 5.10 was sort of a gamble and not one I was likely to win. They were expensive but the Impact VXI shoes have provided amazing pedal traction, are light, protective, and have been durable. In black, they don't really stand out among other biking shoes, clipless or flat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    DZR has come out with some platform pedal shoes. They look very dapper and my fit your high standards.
    5.10s are pretty boss though....spitfires are my favorite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    I'm 42 and have three pair, black Hellcats to clip in, grey Freeriders when I'm going for the skater look, and black/white/green Sam Hill Impacts when I'm going for the clown shoe effect. WHO CARES how they look! They WORK as intended.

mtbr member
    I hesitated at buying the 5.10's due to looks and price. I got over the looks due to the quality and the price was awesome on amazon (depending on your size). There are some less flashy color combos too if you look for them.

mtbr member
    Look at Adidas shoes, they purchased 510

I have these, they work great. And they don't have the skater look. They are slightly less grippy than the 510, but not by much

adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift Solo Black/Black/Carbon - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Going to try these next

adidas Outdoor Terrex Solo - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

mtbr member
    I have some Teva shoes. They're good, but a little heavy.

And they look like skater shoes. or sk8r shoes. or sk hater shoes. or shoes.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    nike sb dunk low, nike sb dunk high, nike sb blazer. i ride those shoes with flat pedals and have never slipped off. they are insanely grippy.

so much so that when i went to kick of a wall ride when falling, they gripped so hard my foot twisted 90 degrees left snapping my ankle. haha

mtbr member
    May 2012

Five ten alternatives?

Well, I'm 47 and have been wearing Five Ten Spitfires for a couple of years. I actually think they are fairly understated in looks. But even as "lower-end" Five Tens, they've worked great for me (mostly XC riding with a little bit of moderate trail mixed in). Just got the Freeriders for Christmas and expect even greater things from them. And I happen to love the looks too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk