First time protection/pad/armor buyer looking for suggestions...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    the fat kid
    Reputation: gearhead313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    430

    First time protection/pad/armor buyer looking for suggestions...

    I've been slowly moving up in my riding and this year (lame new years resolution BS) I want to move more seriously to the FR/DH side of things. i ride a trek session currently and some of the big trails around my area are growing fast.

    I've started XC'ing and every so slowly have been transitioning to the dark side! I love fast all mountain riding and I think im at the point now where I need more than just a bell helmet! So, im looking for suggestions on where to start when looking for armor? Whats comfortable, what isnt? What fits who, etc?

    I am 5'10", 195lb, 29.75" inseam, 32-33 waist, husky... are there any more measurements i need or is this just like a wing it kinda deal? Thanks for the help guys!!
    I ride faster than I should.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,862
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313
    I've been slowly moving up in my riding and this year (lame new years resolution BS) I want to move more seriously to the FR/DH side of things. i ride a trek session currently and some of the big trails around my area are growing fast.

    I've started XC'ing and every so slowly have been transitioning to the dark side! I love fast all mountain riding and I think im at the point now where I need more than just a bell helmet! So, im looking for suggestions on where to start when looking for armor? Whats comfortable, what isnt? What fits who, etc?

    I am 5'10", 195lb, 29.75" inseam, 32-33 waist, husky... are there any more measurements i need or is this just like a wing it kinda deal? Thanks for the help guys!!
    Regardless of the brand or what 20 people recomend - Try it on before you buy it. Try and find an LBS that stocks armor because you really need to check the fitiment on armor for comfort and fit. If you have no access to armor from your LBS, freinds or local riders shop w/ an online retailer that has a 100% return policy.

  3. #3
    the fat kid
    Reputation: gearhead313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    430
    Thanks man. Unfortunately the stores around here barely carry anything.

    Any brand recommendations? My one buddy was sayng poc had good stuff???
    I ride faster than I should.

  4. #4
    Takin'er easy
    Reputation: Joss DeWaele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    184
    The 661 Evo stuff with the D30 is the best stuff we've found. Of course, if you're looking for a knee/shin combo guard then you'll have to look elsewhere. As far as knee/shin combo's, the TLD Combat guard is easily our best selling product in that category.

  5. #5
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,936
    you are still pedaling am so I would start off with some Kyle Strait Knee pads...they run big so get M/S I am 6 foot 205 and they are solid

    these knee pads stay on and don't slide around but give you freedom to pedal....a good full face helmet would be the Giro Remedy...start getting use to goggles too...Blurs are cheap
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313
    Thanks man. Unfortunately the stores around here barely carry anything.

    Any brand recommendations? My one buddy was sayng poc had good stuff???
    Get opinions but like keen said, trying it on in person is your best bet.

    I wear POC from head to toe and love every piece. You'll pay more but it's still less than a hospital bill. The VPD stuff they are working with is pretty intense. Takes a second to warm up and become moldable but is super comfy once it does. Makes taking a digger feel like a pillow fight.

    I ordered almost everything from hucknroll.com and they have a killer 30 day no questions asked return policy. I even got my leg guards and didn't notice one was a large and the other was a small until they were all sweaty and muddy from a day of riding. Called Huck N' Roll and they shipped me a new pair that day with a return label for the others. If you're in Utah they usually have stuff to your door next day. Good luck

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you are still pedaling am so I would start off with some Kyle Strait Knee pads...they run big so get M/S I am 6 foot 205 and they are solid

    these knee pads stay on and don't slide around but give you freedom to pedal....a good full face helmet would be the Giro Remedy...start getting use to goggles too...Blurs are cheap
    Another vote for kyle straights if you pedal alot

  8. #8
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,446
    If you want just knees : 661 straits. Make sure you order smalls though
    knee/shin: fox launch, again get the small/mediums, they'll be plenty big

    For some reason, almost every company seems to think that if you're above 5'6" you must weigh 500 lbs and have elephantitis of the legs. I'm 6'7" 210 lbs and wear smalls in 661 and Fox stuff.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    219
    Can't go wrong with Raceface Rally DH or FR knee/shins and elbows. I've worn the legs for 6+ hours at a time without removing and they are perfect.

  10. #10
    the fat kid
    Reputation: gearhead313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    430
    Wow, good info... some of those companies i've never even heard of! Thanks guys, im going to have to look that stuff up on the googlies


    I've been getting feedback that a pressure suit is a little overkill unless you are straight DH racing. My one buddy wears a THE light chest protector instead... thoughts?
    I ride faster than I should.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    If you want just knees : 661 straits. Make sure you order smalls though
    knee/shin: fox launch, again get the small/mediums, they'll be plenty big

    For some reason, almost every company seems to think that if you're above 5'6" you must weigh 500 lbs and have elephantitis of the legs. I'm 6'7" 210 lbs and wear smalls in 661 and Fox stuff.

    Not sure I'd agree, I just got a pair of 661 Evo Shin Guards size large i'm 5'10" 159lbs and they barely fit around my calves I could probably have gone with a XL and still been ok.
    '10 Pivot Cycles Mach 5! -- 07' C'dale Prophet 3 -- 08' C'dale Caffeine HT /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Pivot FTW

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    340
    I went through the same thing a couple of months ago. Needed to step up my level of protection a bit. Didn't want full DH gear...just a bit of protection in the case of a digger during my heavier AM and light FR type rides. I still pedal a lot so needed some gear that was conducive to that as well. I ended up with Troy Lee knee and elbow guards that I wear on all of my rides now. They're light and don't hinder my movement at all. Of course, they don't offer the same level of protection as, say, the Race Face/Roach Rally FR pads, or any of the other heavier duty pads out there, but they fit my needs perfectly.

    For some rides, I also wear a Race Face Armour Jacket. It adds a light amount of shoulder and chest protection without being restrictive and adding too much heat and it can be worn under a jersey. When I bought it, I couldn't really find anyone that had experience with this jacket, so here's some pics (both with and without Jersey)...









    If I had to do it again, i'd probably spring the extra $$$ for the Dainese 3X elbows and knee\shins. They look to perfectly fit the kinda protection i'm looking for. You should check those out as well. I might buy a set of those in the future...
    Also, like everyone else said already...definitely try stuff on if you can. No matter how good the pads are, they'll only work if they fit right. Hope this helps...

    Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

  13. #13
    otb member
    Reputation: craigshaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313
    Wow, good info... some of those companies i've never even heard of! Thanks guys, im going to have to look that stuff up on the googlies


    I've been getting feedback that a pressure suit is a little overkill unless you are straight DH racing. My one buddy wears a THE light chest protector instead... thoughts?
    I wear a RockGardn Flak Jacket and barely ride dh without it at all anymore.
    It's comfortable. I crash, it saves me. I crash again, it saves me again. We've got a great relationship. I didn't wear it on a ride last year and re-tore my AC ligament in my shoulder going OTB.

    Legs:
    Lift operated = Race Face FR, great pads.
    Pedaly = 661 something or others. Got them for $20 on Chainlove. Long skinny legs, but a large fits me great.

    Helmet:
    Bell Drop - super comfy, but I lost 20 lbs so far this year and now it's a bit too big.
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.