First time clipping in..What is the best shoe for $120- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

First time clipping in..What is the best shoe for $120

Just as the title says. I am running Shimano m530 pedals on my built Honzo. I am looking for a good mid range shoe for XC/All-Mountain.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with pearl izumi. considering how much money you're willing to spend, just go to the LBS and try some on.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I tried on some Bontrager RLs at my LBS for $149. They fit nice but unsure of the quality and a little more than I want to spend unless I find some I cant live without!

mtbr member
    A good snug (but not too snug) fit is the key. I have a hard time finding good fitting mtb shoes, so my options are usually severely limited. Once you get into the $150 range, I would say that they're all pretty equal in quality for the most part. Fit is most important always. Next is the sole stiffness you desire. If you hike-a-bike often, get a more flexible sole, with more midrange stiffness. If you plan on racing, get the stiffest sole. Don't get a really flexible sole though, or your arches will start screaming at you.

My latest pair of shoes are bontragers. These seem well made so far, but I have no idea which model it is. They're black with a bright green sole.

mtbr member
    I'm really liking my Giro Privateers. I also have a pair of Specialized Sport that are comfortable. Both should be in your price range. What size shoe do you wear?
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    A good snug (but not too snug) fit is the key. I have a hard time finding good fitting mtb shoes, so my options are usually severely limited. Once you get into the $150 range, I would say that they're all pretty equal in quality for the most part. Fit is most important always. Next is the sole stiffness you desire. If you hike-a-bike often, get a more flexible sole, with more midrange stiffness. If you plan on racing, get the stiffest sole. Don't get a really flexible sole though, or your arches will start screaming at you.

My latest pair of shoes are bontragers. These seem well made so far, but I have no idea which model it is. They're black with a bright green sole.
    You got the badass Bontrager Rhythm MTB shoes....my next pair, once the SIDIs die.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    +1 on the Giro Privateer.
    A SIDI clone at 1/4 the price. Fits like a glove. Not great for scrambling off the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone using Sidi Buvel MTB? I really like the looks of them and the reviews seem good. A little more that I wanted to spend but I looks like the $150s are going to be the best range. My local MTB store only carries Bontrager. I am not sure about ordering before I try them on.

mtbr member
    Sidi is good, but if I'm spending that much money, I'm trying them on.

Only one LBS near you? time to go on a little road trip.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post

I went with the snug fit advice for my first pair of clipless shoes and it was completely wrong for me. They weren't tight that it caused blisters but there was no room for my toes to spread out. A few times it resulted in cramping but was usually just a constant uncomfortable feeling. Which means I didn't ride as long as I really could have. My toes would also go numb which usually made things feel slightly better.

Since then I've opted for shoes that fit with plenty of toe space and a looser fitting upper to promote blood flow. It lets me spread my toes and push with the whole foot giving me a better feel of stability. Most importantly its far more comfortable so the length of my rides are limited by fitness. I'm not saying buy shoes that are super big but a little extra space is a good thing.

With $120 I would just go to every bike shop I could and try on every shoe thats in your budget. Each manufacture and even each model will have a slightly different fit. I tried on 10 different pair of road shoes before settling on the Shimano ones I got. They have been heavenly to ride long distances in. For MTB I like the fit of 5.10 shoes. I believe they do make a clipless model.

mtbr member
    Do you have amazon prime? You may be able to find a few options that have free returns so you can try them on and send'em back with no dents to the wallet.

I have the Shimano M088s, which are ok. I'll be looking for something else, but I have wide feet that makes finding clipless shoes difficult. I used to have a pair of older specialized sport shoes, but the sole split from doing too much walking. Still, they lasted a good 5 years of riding.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    For 120-150 you can find a pair of pretty good closeout shoes. My two current pairs (Northwave Striker and Sidi Dominator Fit) were both previous seasons colors when I bought them. Both were $250 shoes when new. Both are excellent shoes and were bought at fairly significant discounts. Unless you're looking for latest and greatest...looking for a closeout model will get you more features for your dollar.

Only thing is you need to try the shoes if you have no previous experience with them...even if you do...I still suggest trying them on. I had to go up half size on my Sidis compared to my other shoes. My Northwave road shoes are the same size as the mountain...but fits like its slightly smaller.