First time clipless - how do I choose a shoe?- Mtbr.com
    beautiful jackass

First time clipless - how do I choose a shoe?

After many years of riding platforms, I'm finally going clipless on my next bike. I'm going to a bike shop today to get a feel for how different brands fit. Once I know my size I'll either buy locally, or online depending on selection and pricing.

I don't have any idea how to gauge shoes or what qualities make one a better pick over the other so I'm looking for some general things to know.

And I'd like to hear suggestions as well. I'd like to spend somewhere around $60 if possible. I see shoes on Chainlove at this price point sometimes but I don't know if I should buy my first pair without trying them on.

My friend gave me some pedals -- Shimano PD-M535, if that determines any bearing in guidance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For me:

#1 consideration is comfort, so I don't buy without trying them on unless what I want just isn't availble locally.

#2 consideration is stiffness of sole. Some of the shoes that look like sneakers don't have as stiff a sole. Stiffness helps transfer the power more efficiently, but for me, more importantly, it helps (but doesn't prevent) my toes from falling asleep by spreading the force over a larger part of my foot.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96
    For me:

#1 consideration is comfort, so I don't buy without trying them on unless what I want just isn't availble locally.

#2 consideration is stiffness of sole. Some of the shoes that look like sneakers don't have as stiff a sole. Stiffness helps transfer the power more efficiently, but for me, more importantly, it helps (but doesn't prevent) my toes from falling asleep by spreading the force over a larger part of my foot.
    +1 For all of it.

When I went clipless, I went to my LBS and tried on biking shoes to get my proper size.
    Then because I did not want to spend $170 on biking shoes I went on pricepoint.

I got these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/129...duro-Shoes.htm

I only have one gripe with them- The laces are annoying. I might get http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/132...-MTB-Shoes.htm at some point in the near future.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up :)

mtbr member
    I've only ever had 2 pairs of shoes. The first pair was Specy and they fell apart. When I went to buy my 2nd and current pair, I wanted something that was high quality and had a great reputation. I found Sidi mtb shoes on sale at a local bike shop and bought them. They have been perfect ever since. I have taken care of them by cleaning regularly and conditioning the leather and as a result, they have taken care of me through all types of elements. You can read a review of Sidi shoes HERE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time clipless - how do I choose a shoe?-shoes-800x529-.jpg  

:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Comfort - self-explanatory. Make sure you wear your riding socks during the test fit.

Secureness - can you cinch down the straps tightly without struggling or creating pressure points against your skin?

Ventilation - Depends where you ride. Here in So Cal, it's pretty important.

Stiffness - the smaller the platform on your pedals and the more efficient you want to be, the stiffer you need the soles. If you use large platforms and hike-a-bike a lot, you can go with less stiffness.

beautiful jackass
    Thanks for all the advice! I just got back from the shop and tried on the Specialized Sport shoe. I usually wear size 12 or 13 in normal shoes. I tried on a 13 and it was way too small. It turns out I wear a size 14 MTB shoe.

I noticed they don't seem to come with the cleats. You have to buy those separately?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Cleats come with the pedals since different companies use different clip interfaces.

Once I determine a pedal I then decide on a shoe. I use CB Candy SL now but also used CB Eggbeater SL with the Eggbeater it requires a very stiff shoe since there is not much platform. I use a set of the Specialized Sports that I think you are looking at now and the shoe is very comfortable. Look at the inserts also for a real good fit, if they will let you try them on a bike to see how it fits to your pedal. Some have very high cleats which makes it hard to clip in and out of some pedals.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Members who have read this thread: 0