First pair of shorts, which ones?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First pair of shorts, which ones?

I'm ready to get some padded shorts, I ride about 8 miles a day, tired of the soreness.

thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canari-Cycling...935416&sr=8-20

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Qu...3957188&sr=8-1

was going to wear some shorts over them but I don't know with summer temps, its high 80s here with humidity. are there certain materials of shorts I should look for? also, chamois cream, do I need that stuff for these shorts, or is that overkill for just a 8 mile ride?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Cycling shorts don't wear like normal shorts. You really should go to a shop where you can try on shorts and get educated advice on fit and style.

Also, buy two of the most expensive shorts you can afford. Don't overlook bibs. something like fox sargent shorts might be more your style if you aren't into lycra.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmonkey
    Cycling shorts don't wear like normal shorts. You really should go to a shop where you can try on shorts and get educated advice on fit and style.

Also, buy two of the most expensive shorts you can afford. Don't overlook bibs. something like fox sargent shorts might be more your style if you aren't into lycra.
    i tried on ones like the two I linked, I don't know what they feel like riding, I don't think any shops will let me return them after riding. the fox sargent shorts would look to hot, they are like the ones I linked but shorts over top, am I right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The fox liners are mesh, the shorts are a very light weight material. I have 4 pairs of fox sargent and ranger shorts. They are nice for active mtb trails, but aren't as good as a nice pair of pi shorts or bibs if you are in the saddle more than out.
    don't discount bibs because you think they may be hotter, they aren't. They don't roll down off your waist either, which is a huge bonus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Lycra shorts need to be snug, but not tight.
    Shorts are one thing I need to try on before I buy.
    Last time I went shopping, I tried on 4 different shorts and only one fit. One was too big, one was way too small, one was ok, but still didn't fit right and only one fit right. All were size medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just ordered the second pair in your list as my first cycling shorts and I'm happy with them so far. I didn't have to order a size up or anything. Plus they are eligible for free return shipping (if you're a prime member) if they don't fit properly.

dirtbag
    Cycling shorts with a seamless chamois pad are what I look for. Chamois cream only if you need it, not likely with your ride distance.

Gel? *cringe*
    Amolan

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3
    I'm ready to get some padded shorts, I ride about 8 miles a day, tired of the soreness.

thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canari-Cycling...935416&sr=8-20

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Qu...3957188&sr=8-1

was going to wear some shorts over them but I don't know with summer temps, its high 80s here with humidity. are there certain materials of shorts I should look for? also, chamois cream, do I need that stuff for these shorts, or is that overkill for just a 8 mile ride?

thanks.
    Go to Voler.com

Very good shorts, good prices (especially the sale items), and they include a postpaid return envelope in case they do not fit.

You do not need chamois cream.

Get bibs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Go to Voler.com

Very good shorts, good prices (especially the sale items), and they include a postpaid return envelope in case they do not fit.

Get bibs.

and they always toss in a Tootsie Roll or two. Voler can't be beat!
    Amolan

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Thanks shiggy and ranier for the Voler link. Need new lyrca and with free shipping, free returns and reasonable prices Voler looks like a winner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Go to Voler.com

Get bibs.
    thanks, I ordered 3 of these
    https://www.voler.com/products/1110208PRTXSM.aspx

only $20 for the small.

mtbr member
    I wear the Pearl iZUMi's you linked to under some microfiber short pants. I like wearing the short pants for the pocket space. That and I'm not really into the spandex roadie look.

The Pearl iZUMi's are good quality and will last a very long time. They are a pretty comfortable but not any better than cheaper brands I've tried. I've tried cheaper brands but the padding flattened out or came loose from the shorts.

If your butt is getting sore on an 8 mile ride then either you don't ride enough to get adapted to it or your seat doesn't fit your sit bones. More info here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Go to Voler.com

Get bibs.
    This was some of the best advice I've ever found on this or any other forum. Thanks, Shiggy.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just got a pair of pearl Izumi shorts and they are high quality and the md liner took the pain away

Members who have read this thread: 0