first pair of shoes, anything decent under $50?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

first pair of shoes, anything decent under $50?

Can you guys recommend some shoes for under $50? they will be my first pair.

Night Rider
    Nov 2009
    I was wanting something in this price range as well. I found a few that around that price online, but I was afraid that they would not fit or would not be comfortable. So I shelled out $90 at the LBS for some Bontrager Race...and love them. I could not find any around $50 at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    PerformanceBike usually has some basic tights w/ pad for around thirty. I have a pair of those and a pair of tri-shorts with a very small pad. Unless I'm riding when it's hot or on longer rides, I use some reebok or walmart tights (w/o pad) under some shorts. Lots of choices...

Edit: Ooooops I misread the title as "shorts".

Performance usually stocks a good selection in-store. A Pearl Izumi outlet store in the outlet mall has a good selection of PI's.
    Last edited by rlouder; 09-17-2010 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I agree also with the suggestion of Performance Bike... even for shoes :-). I got a pair of house-brand Forte SPDs for $50. They were on sale, but I think they were $60 regularly. They're lace-ups, but I just double-knot them and tuck the laces in, haven't had an issue.

5 mins left for a pair on chainlove, too!

Master of Disaster
    Forté Traverse MTB Shoe - $49.99
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._10551_1085669

Lake MX101 Multi MTB Shoe - $44.99
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._10551_1095219

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    For something like shoes or a helmet it can be worth it to pay more at the LBS. Especially if it is your first pair of shoes. Once you find what you like in a certain brand it will be less of a problem to order online.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

Trying not to kill myself
    If you've got an REI in your area, it's worth getting on their mailing list to know when the sales are coming up. If I recall correctly, during the Labor Day sale they had some $90 Pearl Izumis for around $60. And earlier in the year I got some Shimano MTB shoes on clearance for about 40% off what my LBS was selling them for. I agree with the others that trying them on somewhere before buying is a very good idea. Especially if your feet are on the wide side like mine are. Cycling shoes tend to run narrow, and even within the same brand, the sizing can be inconsistent.

too cold to ride
    Mine: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...eferralID=NA"]

I got mine about a year ago at Jenson, but they're like $130 there now...

Pro: Very comfortable, firm, narrow fit, breathes well (vents and such)
    Con: Terrible for walking with the SPD parts connected, came with a very odd smell that I still haven't gotten rid of...

I think the advice about buying at a bike shop is sound here, and remember to add $15-20 to the price for the cleat... provided you go with a Shimano-compatible shoe.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    If you can still find the Cannondale Roams I'd give them a shot. Pretty comfortable, and if you're a newb and figure you'll spend a fair bit of time hiking then they're a good choice because they don't have a super stiff sole like some other biking shoes. I've got about 700-800 miles on mine, with a good bit of that on foot, and they're finally starting to show signs of wear on some of the seams. Plus they pretty much look like regular shoes and I can drive in them fine, while others I know need to change out of their riding shoes to drive.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    I've been looking at a few of the shoes on performancebike. seems like they only have them in two sizes

Members who have read this thread: 0