First MTB shoes...- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

New question here. First MTB shoes...

I use platforms on my cross country and I know I need to switch to something that lets me pull UP when I pedal. I'm overwhelmed by the choices out there. I'm all mountain trails (more cross country than anything...if that matters) ... so no road stuff at all

My main worry is that today, I often use my feet for balance and I'm not going to enjoy falling because I can't stick my foot out when I need to. You know how it is when you are on the edge of being out of control...

What shoes out there allow for me to pull up and still allow fast and easy disconnect so I can save myself from wiping out...

Thanks!

poser Administrator

anything....

Quote Originally Posted by VegasKev
    I use platforms on my cross country and I know I need to switch to something that lets me pull UP when I pedal. I'm overwhelmed by the choices out there. I'm all mountain trails (more cross country than anything...if that matters) ... so no road stuff at all

My main worry is that today, I often use my feet for balance and I'm not going to enjoy falling because I can't stick my foot out when I need to. You know how it is when you are on the edge of being out of control...

What shoes out there allow for me to pull up and still allow fast and easy disconnect so I can save myself from wiping out...

Thanks!
    ..from any of the major manufacturers will suffice. I personally use shimano platform style clipless pedals, have for years and I really like being able to have a platform when I clip out on a technical section that is large and will grab my shoe.

Don't worry about the clipping out factor. Your body will learn almost instantly how to eject from the pedal and you will never have to think about it again after about 3 rides or so.

Be careful not to set the release tension on those pedals that allow it to little in deference to being able to pull out quickly because it will also allow you to pull out easily when you don't want.

The crank brothers pedals are also pretty nice with easy engagement and release. If you want a good clipless platform their mallets are real nice and reasonably priced from some sellers. They have a huge platform too.

Remember to:

a) make sure that whatever shoe you chose does not interfere with the pedal.
    b) your pedals are well lubed in any wet situation and regularly otherwise
    c) you replace your cleats whenever you notice a change in pedal action
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    ..from any of the major manufacturers will suffice. I personally use shimano platform style clipless pedals, have for years and I really like being able to have a platform when I clip out on a technical section that is large and will grab my shoe.
    (snip)
    Thanks for the great feedback.. Thats just what I was asking about. I like the idea of a platform too.

What model Shimano are you using?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasKev

Thanks!
    Here couple factors you should keep in mind when shopping for clipless pedal:

1) Float: The amount of movement you have before you engage the retention system. This is good for rider with bad knees. Also, it can prevent accidentally unclipping. The problem with a lot of float is that there might be a higher learning curve. Pedals with good amount of float are Times, Speedplay and Crank Bros.

2) Mud Shedding – The ability for mud shed when you clipping in. Mud can gum the works and prevent you from clipping in and out. Most pedals have good mud shedding capability with the exception of the low to mid range Shimano (Their high end stuff has good mud shedding capability).

3) Platforms – Some pedals like the Crank Bros Candies, Crank Bros Mallet, Times Z-Control and Shimano PD-M424 have platforms. These platform will allow you to ride unclip for a short amount of times (especially during technical sections), but they’re not design to work with regular shoes for extended period of time since the retention system does protrude out from the pedals. The downside to platforms is weight.

There couple things unique feature to certain pedals. Like free float on Speedplay Frogs. The ways Frogs are design there is no tension pressure on the cleats. Once you twist your foot past the release point you unclip. This is really good for the knees but it does give you a funky riding on ice type of feeling.

The Crank Brothers Egg beaters have a unique four side entry system, which makes them really easy to clip in to. I have a pair on my road bike and love them. Although Crank Bros claim the Candies and Mallet have four side entry systems, IMHO, that not true. In reality, it more of double sided system since you has to level out the platform to clip in.

Jan 2005

Good job!

Thanks to both of you

I just bought Crank Bros Eggbeaters with platforms, and cleated Shimano SPDs...which I need for the muck I see on the trails...

I paid $150 for the shoes and pedals delivered....we'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Advice

When you put the new pedals on, head out to a nice grassy field and work on getting in and out of the pedals. Some people take to clipless right away (my wife), some of us fell over a few times learning the heel twist that gets you out. It's a lot nicer to fall on grass than it is on the trail.
    Also, if you got the Candies from Crank Bros. you may need to shim the cleat out from the sole of the shoe (it depends on how much tread the shoe has and where it is). With my Specialized shoes I'm running two sets of shims under each cleat to get them to project sufficiently from the sole. If the cleat doesn't stick out far enough then the tread on the shoe may contact the pedal platform before the cleat can engage.

L1MEY
    More advice:

If you're having problems with the clip in/out being too stiff, take a Dremel and remove the parts of the soles of your shoes which are near the cleats. You don't have to mutilate the shoes, just take off enough so that they're not interfering with the mechanism.

- Jen.